• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last two players to start a game in the field and end up as the winning pitcher: Wilson Valdez and Babe Ruth.
teacha.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Last two players to start a game in the field and end up as the winning pitcher: Wilson Valdez and Babe Ruth.
teacha.gif

This type of dumb stunt ruined Jose Canseco's career.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to bed after the Reds went ahead. Frankly ,the Phils haven't been a late-inning comeback type team lately. woke up, though I should have stayed up for the ninth, before seeing that it was the nineteenth. Goddamn.

Originally Posted by Slopho
Edit: Also, funny stat. Ryan Howard has over 250 HRs and less that 1000 total career hits. Prince Fielder has over 200 HRs and not even 900 hits.

Somewhat related: Roy Halladay, 175 wins, 62 CGs. I would say wow, it's impressive that every third win is a CG, but some of those CGs are losses. He has started 331 games, so nearly 1/5 of his STARTS are CGs.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ You so want those Red Sox in first place don't you?! KC has been getting their asses kicked by my O's!!

No, actually I just want the wheels to fall off the Indians' bus. The thing is though, they'll still win that division, they just aren't as good as dudes may want to think they are.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This type of dumb stunt ruined Jose Canseco's career.
laugh.gif
Was that before or after Jose took a fly ball off the noggin and turned it into a home run? Mark Grace was pretty funny when he got a shot at pitching.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
laugh.gif
Was that before or after Jose took a fly ball off the noggin and turned it into a home run?

Mark Grace was pretty funny when he got a shot at pitching.

It seemed like the same game for Jose.

I remember Grace, he should be on MLB network, there isn't a better "baseball guy". He tried to do the "Mike Fetters" intimidation face when he pitched. He would also talk about banging fat chicks while on the road when he was slumping at the plate for mojo.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how it could be considered dirty, especially since you're talking about the go ahead run in extra innings. Sucks that the injury happened but clean play.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are not enough
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
in the world to capture how I feel about Posey.

Not a dirty play, though.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I don't see how it could be considered dirty, especially since you're talking about the go ahead run in extra innings. Sucks that the injury happened but clean play.
Originally Posted by TheIdler
There are not enough
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
in the world to capture how I feel about Posey. Not a dirty play, though.

I'm torn. On one hand, Posey was blocking the plate and all contact was justified. On the other, the runner launched himself ahead of the plate and was not running into him in stride. I don't think it was necessarily dirty, but I didn't like it.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He did veer a bit ahead of the plate, but Posey way turning towards him as the play happened. I dunno; split second call for the runner and it's his job to try to knock the ball loose. You see guys going into second much further off the bag to break up a double play than what was seen here.

If Posey's set up correctly with his left foot pointed toward third, instead of on his knees, he probably walks away uninjured.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be fine with rule changes somehow preventing catchers from being in such a vulnerable position, as well as the ridiculous double-play break up slides that dcg is talking about. Of course it won't happen, because that's "a part of baseball".

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on Washington comment on how Werth is being viewed by fans down there? I read an article about him having made some comments, but it was a crap article and didn't actually mention what the comments were....ESPN is really going down the toilet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads