• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last year finally turned my wife into a bitter redsox fan. :lol:

I'm still optimistic that the AL east will turn into a cluster f*ck of all sub 90 win teams though :slayer:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

last year finally turned my wife into a bitter redsox fan. :lol:

I'm still optimistic that the AL east will turn into a cluster f*ck of all sub 90 win teams though :slayer:

I would say there is a somewhat-realistic chance of that happening. Might become a Toronto fan.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My joy for going to opening day has waned a bit. It'll be the tigers 5th game means either Porcello or Smyly and not JV.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

My joy for going to opening day has waned a bit. It'll be the tigers 5th game means either Porcello or Smyly and not JV.

kinda wish everyone would hold their #1s for home openers...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tiger's starting pitching staff has been outstanding. Truly, this is a good omen about this season.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

The Tiger's starting pitching staff has been outstanding. Truly, this is a good omen about this season.

How do you think Sanchez and Porcello will turn out?

I'd put Scherzer at #3 of #2s in AL:

J.Johnson>Sale> Scherzer>CJ Wilson

Johnson will get hurt which makes Max #2.

National League gets a little more interesting:

Latos
Cliff Lee
Greinke
Medlen
Bumgarner
G. Gonzalez

IMO Overall #1s are:
Verlander
Darvish
Strasburg
Sabathia
Kershaw
F. Hernandez

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you projecting Darvish as the number 2 or basing that off last year? Because CC was better than him last season.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think mad max will have a great year. When he is on his stuff is electric. He averaged 11K per 9 last year.

The tigers staff is crazy

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Are you projecting Darvish as the number 2 or basing that off last year? Because CC was better than him last season.

Projecting. And only slightly ahead of CC.

I used to use last year, then I learned better.

e.g. Trout and Verlander are equal value.

Darvish and CC are a super value because they won't go till the 4th round unless someone really reaches. The ideal situation would be 12/1...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

I think mad max will have a great year. When he is on his stuff is electric. He averaged 11K per 9 last year.

The tigers staff is crazy

Prob is when he's on...

I took him a couple of years ago when I figured he was the next big thing.

And last year likewise. He was really bad the 1st half, so I dropped him.

Then during the second half he was one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball. **** me.

RedLeg

Reaction score
I would think most in Cincy would feel as you feel. Broxton is good, but he's not Chapman.

IMO Dusty Baker is an idiot. He ruined Jason Schmidt and Robb Nen's arms, and cost The Giants the World Series with his famous walk to the mound in Anaheim.

I'm still very torn on Baker. He is not well liked in Cincy, despite the recent success. I'm still pissed about how he managed our starting pitching in the series against the Giants last season in the NLDS. Much more credit (and deservedly so) goes to Walk Jockety and ownership for making some moves and being willing to spend some money.

Dusty is a players manager, not a game manager. He is at his best motivating players behind closed doors and we really don't get to see that. His track record of ruining young pitchers terrifies me, although I do think he has gotten better. Having a strong bullpen certainly helps with this.

Not really, but OK.

I could argue this both ways. I would argue that a dominant closer is a crucial component to most Championship teams (at least since the 90's). Blown saves have a psychological effect on a team that cannot be measured by statistics.

On a pure innings basis, you are 100% right of course. A closer just has a lot more appearances and handles the 9th (or jams), which are a different animal from the 3rd inning.

RedLeg

Reaction score
Yankees will not make the playoffs.
Yankees are in trouble. No doubt about it. If it was the middle of the season I might argue that Cano could carry them for awhile, but starting like this out of the gate is difficult to do.

The upside is that it should be easier to get tickets to the company box
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yankees are in trouble. No doubt about it. If it was the middle of the season I might argue that Cano could carry them for awhile, but starting like this out of the gate is difficult to do. The upside is that it should be easier to get tickets to the company box
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
I'd really like to see them deal Cano to some big spending contender for prospects. Possibly Granderson as well. No one in their right mind would take on Tex's contract. Its just time to clean house and start over.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads