• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was on BART during the bottom of the 10th... The Giants clinched at basically the exact moment the train stopped at Civic Center. It was nuts, people were running all over the platform, jumping in and out of trains screaming, climbing handholds, etc...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Gentlemen don't gloat.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For someone with no strong rooting interest, this was a disappointing series. Am I right that tonight was the only game where the Tigers even held a lead?

It was indeed.

What an inopportune time to fall into a hitting slump.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least I don't have to sit in 25mph winds, rain, and a 39F night tonight.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

they only goad. ;)

Indeed.

However, the Tigers put on a fine season. Many thought they wouldn't win their division much less get to the WS. And the outcome may have been different had V-Mart been there.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tigers need a closer, a 4-5th starter, a corner OF, and a coach.

I doubt they will do much in the offseason. I bet leyland returns. Dirks will man left. Need to find a RF. Garcia is too young and berry isn't the answer. Boesch isn't tht answer. Delmon is gone. Peralta and Infante are back. I hope the sign Anibal but his postseason performance added a few million to his contract.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt they will do much in the offseason. I bet leyland returns. Dirks will man left. Need to find a RF. Garcia is too young and berry isn't the answer. Boesch isn't tht answer. Delmon is gone. Peralta and Infante are back. I hope the sign Anibal but his postseason performance added a few million to his contract.

My thoughts exactly. It will be great if Sanchez returns next year but he is definitely going to be a hot commodity on the free agency market.

I'm torn on Young... I think he got a bad rap because he's a jerk and because he doesn't know how to field. When he was good though, he would have some streaks of nice offense. I agree though that he is too inconsistent and doesn't really have a place, especially as a DH with V-Mart coming back.

I don't think we can get anything for Boesch unless he gets another chance at the start of the 2013 season and starts off well. Otherwise we will probably have to eat that contract... luckily it isn't a big meal.

The closer is going to be the tough spot. Are there any great ones out there right now who are free agents or who would we want to trade in order to get one?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delmon won't be back. The OF will likely stay Dirks/Berry/Boesch. Boesch will get a second look at RF. leyland wiuldnt have it any other way. there isn't anyone who we can sign. The only way we get an OF is if someone like Victorino, Upton or Bourn move to RF. probably not going happen.

Really no closers on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if its by committee to start. Al, Beniot, Coke. With Delmon and Valverde coming off the books maybe that gives them cash to secure Anibal. He pitched really well in down the stretch and said he likes it here, but money talks.

I expect pitching help and not much offense with Victor coming back.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish that Delmon would be gone, but I'd wager that he will be back. He is a terrible fielder. He DH'd well, during the post season, and that might be enough for management. But with V-mart back, why would they need Delmon? Common sense has never been a strong suit with the organization.

Prince Fielder is a liability at 1st. One could overlook this if he was a true clutch hitter and if he had performed well in the Series. He was a disaster. An expensive one, at that.

I just have to admire the Giants organization. Most of the players on this team were not even around in 2010. That is amazing. Many of these newer players are not "brand name" players. Their payroll is far less than that of the Tigers. They are doing something very right. I certainly appreciated the skillful and efficient defense of the Giants. Real baseball playing, that is for sure.

This sweep reminds me of the many bowl games that Bo lost at Michigan. Total embarrassment. :(

Today, Verlander said that the memory of this Series will urge them to work all the harder over the winter months. I hope so.

Leyland's return is entirely his decision. But can a 68 year old man withstand another stress-filled season like this one? If he were to leave, who would they get to manage this team? Who would the players respect? Please....NOT Gene Lamont!

And on top of all our sorrow, the NHL, on Thursday, will announce the cancellation of the Winter Classic. Bad for Detroit and Ann Arbor. Meanwhile, we get to watch classic NHL games on the CBC "Hockey Night in Canada".

Again, congrats to the Giants. Enjoy your moment.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll bet Delmon isn't back. Only way he comes back is if there is a severe setback with Victor. There just isn't a place for him.
They will roll with what's in the system. castellanos and Garcia could be mainstays.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And on top of all our sorrow, the NHL, on Thursday, will announce the cancellation of the Winter Classic. Bad for Detroit and Ann Arbor. Meanwhile, we get to watch classic NHL games on the CBC "Hockey Night in Canada".

I stopped really paying attention to the NHL during the last big strike they had but I was just starting to get interested again over the past couple of years and I have tickets to the Winter Classic at the Big House this year and was really looking forward to taking my nephew. :(

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stopped really paying attention to the NHL during the last big strike they had but I was just starting to get interested again over the past couple of years and I have tickets to the Winter Classic at the Big House this year and was really looking forward to taking my nephew. :(

I say: Lock up the opposing sides in a room with Don Cherry to hammer out a deal. His outrageous suit, alone, should be enough to seal a deal. Many years ago, I met Don Cherry. Off camera, he is charming, engaging, and very gracious..

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

I wish that Delmon would be gone, but I'd wager that he will be back. He is a terrible fielder. He DH'd well, during the post season, and that might be enough for management. But with V-mart back, why would they need Delmon? Common sense has never been a strong suit with the organization.
Prince Fielder is a liability at 1st. One could overlook this if he was a true clutch hitter and if he had performed well in the Series. He was a disaster. An expensive one, at that.
I just have to admire the Giants organization. Most of the players on this team were not even around in 2010. That is amazing. Many of these newer players are not "brand name" players. Their payroll is far less than that of the Tigers. They are doing something very right. I certainly appreciated the skillful and efficient defense of the Giants. Real baseball playing, that is for sure.
This sweep reminds me of the many bowl games that Bo lost at Michigan. Total embarrassment. :(
Today, Verlander said that the memory of this Series will urge them to work all the harder over the winter months. I hope so.
Leyland's return is entirely his decision. But can a 68 year old man withstand another stress-filled season like this one? If he were to leave, who would they get to manage this team? Who would the players respect? Please....NOT Gene Lamont!
Again, congrats to the Giants. Enjoy your moment.

All the pitchers were. Pitching wins championships.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics