1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

the bay area has got some weirdly hellishly cold weather too: preseason game (Minn vs SF) in AUGUST in candlestick park :teach:

http://www.1500espn.com/gallery/preseasonminnesota_vikings_at_san_francisco_49ers_081012/pID36996

[​IMG]

i remember going to candlestick to watch a giants game back in the late 80's... we were visiting cousins.... my family assumed since it was the middle of fucking august that it would be shirt and shorts weather.... we left before the 3rd inning.... i guess we forgot to bring parkas to the game in the middle of summer.

I realize that AT&T doesn't get as "hellishly cold" as candlestick... but damn night games are fucking chilly... hell even Oakland Coliseum in July/August gets wicked cold at night.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

2. NorCal

NorCal Distinguished Member

Your cabalistic chicanery has no power here!

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:laugh: it was more a faulty premonition.

it really seems there is truth to the whole idea that a rested team, vs a team that is just out of battle, has a harder time winning. i dont know the official stats, but it seems that way more often than not. across all sports.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

4. NorCal

NorCal Distinguished Member

Been looking at a few articles, I love how Detroit is claiming that "the Giants are getting all the breaks" as if little things like actually backing up the cut-off man to throw out Fielder is "just a break." The Giants are playing good fundamental baseball and catching all the "breaks" is just an extension of that.
    Of course a home crowd and AT&T park does not hurt either.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Distinguished Member

If you listen to Jim Leyland's post game interviews from Games 1 and 2, he gives due credit to the excellent play of the Giants. And, he discounts talk of not getting a break. Radio talk shows and some reporters have to stir up interest. It boosts their profits.

There is no one saying that Fielder's out was a "break". All credit for that goes to wonderful Gene Lamont.

Scanning this morning's Detroit newspaper columns, there is nothing but praise for the "flawless" play of the Giants. And the stupidity of Lamont's decision. There is no whining.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

6. in stitches

yeah, that play at the plate was pretty crappy. he was clearly out, but its too bad they didnt hold him at 3rd.

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Guilty as charged. Oddly enough, the Tigers are my favorite team in the AL.

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Distinguished Member

At least college basketball starts soon

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

And just think... Lamont was one of the front runners for the manager job at the Red Sox before Valentine got it. I wonder how different (either way) their season would have been.

10. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

The umpires called a very good game last night. There was that out at first base against the Giants (Posey?) where I thought WTF? but the super slow-mo showed the ump was right-on.

11. in stitches

the super slow mos are amazing. seeing it in real time, and then in slow me really enhances my appreciation of what refs have to do. its no easy task to see that in real time.

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah those guys earn their money - as long as it's not above $150 K. :D

13. in stitches

:laugh:

14. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Distinguished Member

I've had time to cool off a bit about Gene Lamont. IMO, common sense dictates that one does not send a 300 pound Prince Fielder around 3rd base. Berry or Jackson...maybe. But he did. It was a gamble that, if it paid off, we'd all be singing the praises of Lamont.

The elephant in the living room is the fact that we cannot produce runs. It has been our "sin" for most of the season. That's why we spent most of the season behind the White Sox. For a team that was built to make runs, we fall short of all expectation.

While things are not good, it's not over, yet.

We are coming home.
    We get the DH
    We still have good pitching on deck.
    We will face RH pitching.
    We always do better against really good pitching.

In the '68 World Series, the Tigers were down 3-1, and then they came back to win three in a row.

Temperature, tomorrow, around game time will be around the low 40s and dropping.

The Giants are the real deal. And, on a good day, so are the Tigers. Play ball!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

15. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

I disagree that people would be praising Lamont if Fielder found his way in. Just like people questioned Thompson when he sent Ichiro to dance around Wieters. People's reactions were mostly what a bad send but great play by Ichiro.