1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2017 50 Book Challenge

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

28. The Maltese Falcon- Dashiell Hammet
    I've never seen the whole movie. Classic pulp detective page turner. I liked it.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Does anyone have any tips on how to read The Sound and The Fury? I'm pretty close to abandoning it.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

29. I Robot- Isaac Asimov. Liked it in high school. Not so much now. More a collection of mediocre stories than a beginning to an acclaimed series. Maybe I should give the 2nd book a try.
    30. Dragonflight- Anne McCaffery
    1968 classic ripped off by anyone else who's written about dragons since. I liked the book, but the ending was pretty predictable.

5. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I've read 2... Maybe 3 books.

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

31. Dragonquest- Anne McCaffery. I got the 2nd book when I got the 1st at the 2nd hand book store. Better than the 1st. Continuing saga of the dragonriders and the beasts they sit on. I like the series and recommend it.
    32. No Country for Old Men- Cormac McCarthy. I don't like reading books when I've already seen the movie. Bits and pieces of it keep rolling around in my mind while I try to put it together with the movie. But it WAS an excellent book. Worth the recommendation others in the thread gave it. And I plan to read more McCarthy- probably Blood Meridian.

7. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

I must look for some compact novels in the autumn. Haven't been sticking to the required pace; yes I was seduced by the summer and some less intellectual activities. :embar:

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I haven't been sticking to the 200 page limit. If the book is a considered to be a classic and on everyone's Must-Read List, I will read it.

Rules- I don't need no stinkin' rules.

But I will do War and Peace for my penance.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 24/50: Gustave Flaubert - Madame Bovary (1856)

The story of Emma Bovary, wife of a small town doctor, who wants to escape the monotony of provincial life by seeking out extreme passion in adulterous affairs and excessive spending. This is one of the true all time classics and sometimes referred to as the "perfect" work of fiction. This was very good; highly recommended!

10. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

I think I've hit 50, but haven't been keeping count :embar:

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

33. Blood Meridien-Cormac McCarthy
    Most critics tout this book over No Country for Old Men. I find the latter much better, but this one is still good. Tale of a teenager who throws in with a band of scalp bounty hunters along the TX/Mexico border in the 1850s. Well written. Lots of run on sentences (what is it with modern writers and this literary device?). Prosaic violence and gore.
    34. Play Their Hearts Out- George Dohrmann
    Recommended earlier in this thread, and one of the best books I've read so far. Traces the development of a young basketball phenom from the age of 11 till he graduates from high school. Details all the seedy deals between the shoe companies, AAU, high school, and college coaches. Real eye opener. Highly recommend it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  12. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 25/50: Javier Marias - The Man of Feeling (1986)

I am half way there, guess it must be midsummer.

Marias is one of my favorites and a hot pick for the Nobel Prize within the next 5 years or so. This is a story about an opera singer entering into an affair with a mysterious married woman and it's a most fascinating read. Marias' magnum opus is the more recent but quite demanding Your Face Tomorrow trilogy but the best entrance point to Marias fiction could rather be The Man of Feeling or one of these two excellent novels: 
    Tomorrow In The Battle Think On Me
    A Heart So White
    ...if you haven't read this author, you are missing something!

13. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 26/50: Horacio Castellanos Moya - Dance with Snakes (1996)

This El Salvadoran novelist has a surreal touch but is writing about real Latin American life conditions, describing the (sur)real sociological, economical and political conditions of his countrymen. His most famous novel is Senselessness, which is indeed highly recommended and likely to be acknowledged as a minor classic of our times.

I found Dance with Snakes to be another excellent story, very violent and absurd, about a team of four female poisonous and murderous snakes taking El Salvador close to political collapse while seducing (sexually) the main character of the story, a young unemployed sociologist - an insane character in any other culture than the one he almost accidentally wipes out.....

Is this what the real El Salvador is like??

14. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 27/50: Dana Spiotta - Stone Arabia (2011)

Someone recommended this, it was a new book and it got good reviews in a number of American newspapers. So I read it on my iPad on a flight from Helsinki to Bangkok. And yes, it is certainly readable and somewhat interesting if you like to know about a fictitious strange strange Californian 70s imaginative rock star and his younger sister who idolizes him.

Better than watching something from Disney on the inflight entertainment system but not something that will be remembered or reprinted in the 2020s. Very American, maybe better for real Americans, Californians especially.

Spiotta has got some literary awards and is a recognized serious author in the same country. :)

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

maybe I gotta get me some of this one!

16. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 28/50: Dorothy L Sayers - Unnatural Death (1927)

Third in the series of detective novels featuring Lord Peter Whimsey. In this one Whimsey sets out to prove that a natural death was maybe not so natural after all. A young evil murderous woman makes the story extra spicy. Entertaining and very nice for a 1920s mystery.

17. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 29/50: Donald Ray Pollock - The Devil All The Time (2011)

This is a brand new debut novel by a 56-year old paper mill worker from some backwater in Ohio. One of the darkest tales you can imagine: there is not one single character in this novel who is not deeply flawed and murders and sexual deviations are plentiful.

A very good read indeed and it is getting great reviews. Not recommended for the squeamish.

18. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

35. Raymond Chandler- Farewell My Lovely
    Phillip Marlowe's next to last novel- was listed as the best by a couple of the online must-read lists. 4 separate ends of a story involving murder, stolen loot, and a beautiful, lascivious woman. The denouement comes in the last 20 pages or so, and was pretty surprising for me (and I usually figure the endings out). Definitely a thumbs-up. Now if I could just find that lascivious woman.

19. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 30/50: Amor Towles - Rules of Civility (2011)

A romantic story about New York in the late 1930s and a clever and attractive Brooklyn-raised working class girl named Katey Kontent. An entertaining and "cinematic" novel by a new author. Some Scott Fitzgerald vibes - pleasant.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011