• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears you're quite emphatic about those choices of yours.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
For some reason Forum double or triple posts me every once in a while.

79. Absolute Power- David Baldacci- 1996

A burglar sees a woman murdered by the president's Secret Service people in a tryst. He tries to get the evidence of the murder to the authorities and hatches an elaborate multi-layered plan to do so. He's murdered but those plans come to fruition.

Made into a movie starring the chair whisperer. Good read.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 55/50: Kenneth Fearing - The Big Clock (1946)

Wow, I loved this very unusual crime story written by alcoholic poet Kenneth Fearing. Magazine editor George Stroud gets involved with a beautiful mystery woman who gets murdered and Stroud finds himself leading the massive investigation for the prime suspect, who is George Stroud himself. 

The building up of the tension is excellent and actually much better than the rather sudden climax. I now need to hunt down a DVD of the old Ray Milland / Maureen O'Sullivan film adaptation. The otherwise excellent movie No Way Out with Kevin Costner / Gene Hackman was loosely based on the same novel but thoroughly rewritten to the point where it is no longer the same story.

aKula

Reaction score
11. The Republic - Plato

This is an examination of what it means to be a just man, and whether being just while being considered unjust is advantageous to being unjust while generally being perceived as just. To examine these questions, Plato first describes his ideal city state, compares it with the flawed states in existence, and then works back to the individual. He shows that the unified harmony just action brings to the individual is preferable to any money or honours gained through unjust actions.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Dude:

Plato's Republic.

I bow before you.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 56/50: Edward Anderson - Thieves Like Us (1937)

A gang of fugitives go on a bank robbing spree in Oklahoma and Texas. The protagonist Bowie Bowers is wild and ruthless but good-hearted. He falls in love with a young native American girl, contemplates leaving his life as an outlaw but you know throughout the story that he is doomed.

This is a very nice depression-era crime noir, a minor classic in its genre. 

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
26. The Misremembered Man, by Christine McKenna (2008)

The Misremembered Man is James McCloone, a 41 year old bachelor who lives a chaotic and slovenly life on a small Irish farm. Lydia Devine is a spinster of a similar age, brow-beaten by her aging mother. Both James and Lydia are convinced by their friends to place an ad in the lonely hearts column, and commence an awkward correspondence.

As McKenna relates their story, she also explores James' past life in an orphanage, explaining why he struggles so much with life, and has difficulties with simple things such as cleaning.

The book has two quite distinct moods. The story of James' and Lydia's awkward relationship is played a little bit for laughs, and is a stark contrast to McKenna's account of the horrific abuse Jamie suffered in the orphanage. The ending is perhaps a ittle too pat, but overall this is a book well worth reading. 

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
80. Thousand Cranes 1958 Yasunari Kawabata

[COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]LIST
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
A 20 something Japanese man has lost both his parents in the last 5 years. One of his fathers' two mistresses is extremely pushy about trying to marry him off to a young woman.The young man is seduced by the second mistress, who also has a daughter of marital age.

And there's a lot of tea going on. I never realized the Japanese are so into tea.

I thought it was a great book.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
27. The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist, by Michael Chabon et al (2004)

This graphic novel is a spin-off from Chabon's book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. That novel was about two young men writing super-hero comics, and this graphic novel purports to be a study of one of Kavalier and Clay's greatest creations - The Escapist.

The book presents a series of The Escapist adventures, interspersed with "commentary" about the history and evolution of the character, the graphic syles used, and the cultural settings for the stories.

Chabon recruits notables such as Glen David Gold and Kevin McCarthy as contributors, and they are clearly having a lot of fun with the idea. The talent involved ensures that the result is a cut above the average comic book, with good artwork and pacy plots that rely on the reader to fill in some gaps. It does, however, feel piecemeal, and doesn't really take off. A good idea that might have been better if read straight after Kavalier and Clay.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
81. Fear and Trembling 1999 Amelie Nothomb

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
A Japanese speaking Belgian woman gains employment with an import-export firm in Tokyo. Her exploits make for a truly humorous book.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and highly recommend it.

I finally did the stats with the LIST download Clock referred me to. I will finish by age 62 if I keep at it...

Which remains to be seen.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

81. Fear and Trembling 1999 Amelie Nothomb

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
A Japanese speaking Belgian woman gains employment with an import-export firm in Tokyo. Her exploits make for a truly humorous book.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and highly recommend it.

I finally did the stats with the LIST download Clock referred me to. I will finish by age 62 if I keep at it...

Which remains to be seen.

That's on the list? I reviewed it a while ago; I didn't think it was anything special.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Yes.

It's funny how we all often don't agree on books.

And I'll bet your summary was probably better than mine.

I feel that if my summary reveals too much it will spoil the book for someone else.

Plus I hate slowing down...:)

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should maybe get in to this. So no scientific and technical manuals or anything for 'work' (in my case obscure occult and humanistic literature, myth and art). That's difficult but since I have the ability to acquire any book's content by sheer osmosis alone it oughtn't be a problem. Haven't read too many belle-lettristic works this year though. Let's see:

1) recently Donna Tartt: The Secret History

2) another one: Hodgson: The House on the Borderland

3) Machen: The Secret Glory

That's all I can remember for now....

Am planning to peruse another of the Wodehouse novels though, my second one: Carry On, Jeeves- so that'd be no. 4!

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should maybe get in to this. So no scientific and technical manuals or anything for 'work' (in my case obscure occult and humanistic literature, myth and art). That's difficult but since I have the ability to acquire any book's content by sheer osmosis alone it oughtn't be a problem. Haven't read too many belle-lettristic works this year though. Let's see:

1) recently Donna Tartt: The Secret History

2) another one: Hodgson: The House on the Borderland

3) Machen: The Secret Glory

That's all I can remember for now....

Am planning to peruse another of the Wodehouse novels though, my second one: Carry On, Jeeves- so that'd be no. 4!

One requirement for the 50 book challenge is to write a miniature review for each book read. No rule against including obscure occult or mythological books, as long as they are "books" and not articles / essays. Welcome to the thread. That Donna Tartt was exciting stuff!

Steve B, did you read The Secret History? It is on the 1001 list and I guess you will like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics