• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50 sounds reasonable for 2013. I will furthermore commit to make at least 20 of those from 1001 (any or all editions). I will also commit to read one book written by an Aussie.

In 2013 we should also start a thread on the 1001 albums. How many of them do you own, which albums are you missing on that list and which would be on your 101 list....

Now reading the latest Vargas Llosa. After that probably another Mo Yan. I am in a Nobel mood.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

50 sounds reasonable for 2013. I will furthermore commit to make at least 20 of those from 1001 (any or all editions). I will also commit to read one book written by an Aussie.
In 2013 we should also start a thread on the 1001 albums. How many of them do you own, which albums are you missing on that list and which would be on your 101 list....
Now reading the latest Vargas Llosa. After that probably another Mo Yan. I am in a Nobel mood.

I think I read 20 but I'm not sure.

47 actually... Guess I didn't read complete junk.

I'm down for the music. Don't want to buy all of them (download in my case).

Last edited:

ravn

Reaction score
So 2012 is coming to an end and 2013 will be the year I don`t turn on the telly after the kids have gone to bed. Instead this book chalenge will hopefully keep me going trough some pages, and maybe that adds up to 50 books or more. I guess I start with a US author, haven`t read much by any American writers so it`s about time.The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer will be #1

Ravn

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Which list do we go by for music?

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

So 2012 is coming to an end and 2013 will be the year I don`t turn on the telly after the kids have gone to bed. Instead this book chalenge will hopefully keep me going trough some pages, and maybe that adds up to 50 books or more. I guess I start with a US author, haven`t read much by any American writers so it`s about time.The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer will be #1

Ravn

Kill your TV

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravn

I loved The Naked and the Dead. And some of Mailer's other stuff as well, for instance The Fight (about Ali vs Foreman) and The Executioner's Song. Welcome to the 50 book challenge in 2013.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
108. Midnight Runner 2002 Jack Higgins First, the title has nothing to do with the book. Second the bad guy is a bad girl. A rich bad Arab girl who wants to blow up her own oil pipelines and plunge the world into petroleum chaos. It is the job of Sean Dillon, formerly of the IRA to foil the plot. He does, predictably in a TVesque dramatic fashion. Good book- literary candy.

I've decided to make 50 books on the list my goal for the year. 3 to go.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jesus!
You're going with a different list.
I like this one because it lets you fill books in as you go.
I had the 2010 filled out, then it vanished.
.http://www.listsofbests.com/list/2222-1001-books-you-must-read-before-you-die-2006-edition

Ok, your link lists the original anglo-centric 2006 edition. 282 books were changed between 2006 and 2008 editions, mostly to pave the way for literature written in other languages than English. I believe the "official website" I linked to has the most updated, which should be the 2010 edition.

I am working with a combination of 2006, 2008 and 2010 editions with a total of 1,294 books. Of these I have read 171 at last count. I am using an iPhone app to keep track of my progress.

But we were talking about 1001 albums. I only count LP, CD or other tangible albums, not downloads. I am well over 200 from that list but don't have an exact count at hand.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Ok, your link lists the original anglo-centric 2006 edition. 282 books were changed between 2006 and 2008 editions, mostly to pave the way for literature written in other languages than English. I believe the "official website" I linked to has the most updated, which should be the 2010 edition.
I am working with a combination of 2006, 2008 and 2010 editions with a total of 1,294 books. Of these I have read 171 at last count. I am using an iPhone app to keep track of my progress.
But we were talking about 1001 albums. I only count LP, CD or other tangible albums, not downloads. I am well over 200 from that list but don't have an exact count at hand.

It seems to me there are a lot of foreign books on the 2006. I like being able to fill in the books I read, e.g. Ishiguro's Remains of The Day. Plus I go for only one book from each author the first time through. I know there's a good chance I'll like Coetzee, Mc Ewan, and Ishiguro.

And I won't like DeLillo.

If you could find a way to link all of those of books with a check list format, it would be awesome.

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems to me there are a lot of foreign books on the 2006. I like being able to fill in the books I read, e.g. Ishiguro's Remains of The Day. Plus I go for only one book from each author the first time through. I know there's a good chance I'll like Coetzee, Mc Ewan, and Ishiguro.
And I won't like DeLillo.
If you could find a way to link all of those of books with a check list format, it would be awesome.

Coetzee, McEwan, Ishiguro - all great, all English language authors.

DeLillo is a strange one.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you usig Good reads by any chance?

No, I have an iPhone app where I can keep track of my reading of books from the three editions of 1001. The app is based on a list of the 1001 originally produced by this website http://johnandsheena.co.uk/books/?p=3721. I just noticed that the app is no longer available due to copyright issues. Luckily, I already have it and it works very well.

I am keeping track of all my reading with the help of shelfari.com.

Is good reads useful?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
109. The Killing Ground Jack Higgins 2008 Once again the title had nothing to do with the book. It was a thriller that didn't. Skip it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics