2017 50 Book Challenge

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 23, 2010.

1. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Loved that one! The Big Nowhere and LA Confidential are equally good. I haven't been as attached to Ellroy's later stuff, either it's him or me who's getting old.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I would win the old off.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

10. 1980 A Confederacy of Dunces- John Kennedy Toole Pulitzer Prize tale regarding a New Orleans CHARACTER Ignatius J. Reilly, a bombastic personality larger (literally) than life. His outrageous personal travails and battles with reality. Prose correspondence battles with a college schoolmate who has moved to New York. This is probably the funniest of the 60 books I've read here so far. I highly recommend it.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

11. The Thin Man Dashiell Hammett 1933
    One of the 10 or so great whodunits suggested as 1001 ways to get required reading. Pretty sophisticated. Lots of twists and turns. I'm proud to say I figured it out 30 pages or so from the end. A good read, but I thought Maltese Falcon was better.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Garcia, Canticle For Leibowitz by Miller, The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks by Elkins, This Way For the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Borowski.

About to start Girl With the Golden Eyes by Balzac.

Even with the easy reads and novellas I've got here this year, I doubt I'll be able to hit 50.. :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Dude, you gotta write synopses. Sure you can...Especially with a motley crew like us to cheer you on!!! If you read 4 a month that'll do it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Will write synopses tonight. I've been on a reading tear since I got this Nook Touch, loving it!

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

12. Red Harvest Dashiell Hammett 1929 Almost mob-like story of trying to clean up a small mining town of perversion and graft. Plot and characters are hard to follow, but good guys win in the end. I didn't like the book at all, and wouldn't recommend it.

9. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Javyn, you could totally do it just bey reading the rest of that Melville House "Art of the Novella" and the "Modern Art of the Art Novella" series.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hahhaa, that would cost me over 300 dollars (unless you know of a torrent floating around?) ;)

After I finish Girl With The Golden Eyes, I guess I need to finish The Rise of Roosevelt, I put it down halfway through back in December.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Yeah, it was one of the books that I knew I was supposed to like, and it had some good parts, but I just got bored with it.

+1

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

They still planning on a Confederacy movie?

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Who could possibly do Ignatius justice? Jackie Gleason is dead.

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

13. In Cold Blood Truman Capote 1966. Wow. Just WOW. Can't believe I took so long to read this book. Story of killings of the Cutter family in Holcomb,KS in 1959. Pioneering work in the true crime genre. Best book I've read so far. Can't recommend it enough.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Oddly it left me cold when I read it years ago. May have to re-read someday

<3 that one. My favorite Hammett book

Not a favorite.

Hmmm, what HAVE I been reading? Finished:

On Writing Well (ZInsser) - fantastic book about the art and discipline of good writing. Each time I pick it up I read far more than I'd intended.

Rome 1960 - a narrative of the Rome summer olympics, completed with the US-USSR tensions and propaganda, the winners (Wilma Rudolph, Cassius Clay) and near-misses, the first doping-related death, and the explosion of Television coverage. Enjoyed it.

The Cutting-edge Runner - latest techniques and science re: running.

No Man's Land: Why growing companies can't get past the $50 million mark in revenues. Not all that great, pretty straightforward.

How Cohesive is your Company? - a Story much like The Goal in how a leader reinvents the company he inherited and has to overcome his own biases and bad habits to get everyone on the same page. Also: leader learns to serve the company rather than the company serving his whims. Interesting reading.

On Tyranny (Leo Strauss) - Strauss does a close reading of Xenophon's Hiero dialog regarding tyranny. Very illuminating but heavy sledding in parts.

For now, reading Hitch-22 and studying for the CPA exam.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012