1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2017 50 Book Challenge

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Apsley Cherry-Garrard's "The Worst Journey in the World".

Amazing book - really quite incredible to think of people voluntarily undergoing such privation. Well worth a read.

How are you getting there? Via Sth America? If so, you could always read "In Patagonia" and "The Old Patagonian Express" (although Loner Matt didn't enjoy Chatwin's In Patagonia).

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

There are numerous books on the Scott experdition.

Also fellow antipodeans Flaco aka Paul Livingston is on a promo tour for his new book DASS their part in my downfall. Coming soon to a bookstore near you.

I saw him preform last night at ANU.Very entertaining.

Yesterday I found a little library at CMAG in Civic and picked up a copy of Emerson's Essays date 1903. Will leave something next time I'm in Civic.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Thanks very much, added them to my list and will select a few to take with me (kindle). Found a decent looking one concerning Nazi's in Antarctica. Does anyone know of any books on Operation Highjump?

4. Geoffrey Firmin

59 No Regrets, Coyote by John Dufresne A murder suicide or is it? Wyllie Melville is thrown in at the deep end with Bent cops, WITSEC, greedy crooked lawyers, the mob, the Russian mob and everybody wants some. Then their is the totally corrupt civil administration, a hard pressed therapist and a potential serial killer. Dark black noir. Should have read this first before I Don't Like Where This Is Going as it directly feeds into it.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

75. Memory Man- David Baldacci

Baldacci introduces another new character, Amos Decker, sort of an anti-hero,except for a photographic memory he acquired from a hit playing pro football. He is studied at an institute in Chicago, then becomes a cop in a small-medium city. He comes home one night to find his family murdered, and spends the next two years finding whodunit.

The first 50-100 pages moved slowly, but then the book wound up with a wallop. I highly recommend it..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Books I sought: Maurice Blanchot's Thomas the Obscure, Eric Puchner's second short story collection.

Books I found: Hart Crane's The Bridge (on my list forever), Stanley Elkin's short stories (on my list even longer)

These do not disappoint. (Elkin seems way underread).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

1. Hicksville
    2. Slaughterhouse 5
    3. Firefight
    4. Snow Leopard
    5. The Rehearsal
    6. Lagoon
    7. Solo Faces
    8. Breath
    9. The Internet is Not the Answer
    10. A Sport and a Past Time
    11. White Teeth
    12. The Bell Jar
    13. The Invisible Man
    14. The Subtle Knife
    15 Consider Phlebas
    16. The Amber Spyglass
    17. The Liar's Key
    18. 1000 Splendid Suns
    19. The Windup Girl
    20. Fire Colour One
    21. The Player of Games
    22. The Buddha of Suburbia
    23. Prince of Thorns
    24. King of Thorns
    25. Emperor of Thorns
    26. Oryx and Crake
    27. Use of Weapons
    28. The long way to a small angry planet
    29. Heart goes last
    30. Generation A
    31. The Medium is the Message
    32. Them
    33. The psychopath test
    34. Essentialism
    35. Signs at the End of the World
    36. The Wasp Factory
    37. Sapiens
    38. Lost Spaces
    39. What Money Can't Buy
    40. Seveneves
    41. Flowers for Algernon
    42. A Crown of Cold Silver
    43. Central Station
    44. Why People Photograph
    45. The Wheel of Oshiem
    46. Red Rising
    47. Golden Son
    48. Morning Star
    49. The Meat Tree
    50. The True History of the Kelly Gang
    51. Homo Deus
    52. The Revenant
    53. Private Peaceful
    54. Woman in Black
    55. The Paper Menagerie
    56. The Rosie Project
    57. Hold Still
    58. In Patagonia
    59. The Not Dead
    60. The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
    61. Shooting Stars
    62. Uprooted
    63. Sellotaping rain to my cheek
    64. Funny Girl

64. Funny Girl

Nick Hornby writes a novel about a woman during the 60s who wants to become a comedic actress. Despite things stacked against her, her attitude and intelligence land her a role and she goes places, that don't end up actually being all that impressive in the long term. There's some real heart warming moments, and a constant dialogue about the class system.

Great book.

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

76. The Last Mile- David Baldacci

Second Amos Decker book. He solves an intricate set of murders with an innocent man he helped get off death row.

OK, but not as good as Memory Man.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

60 The Vanished by Lotte and Soren Hammer Scanid Nori and the second book in this series I have read, very entertaining police procedural series. A murder and then some, memories of the 70's and 60's which ties into a very interesting reference to Sargent Peppers and then their is the machinations of the Catholic Church.

Highly entertaining.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  10. Geoffrey Firmin

61 62 63 64 Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four Volumes 3.4.5.6 by Stan Lee & Jack "King" Kirby

Picked them up at the Library and binged on out. Haven't read them in over 40 years. A relaxing blast from the past Nuff Said!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

77. The Black Widow- Daniel Silva

Gabriel Allon and his team deal with an ISIS attack on American soil.

Great read.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

0. Asterix and the Missing Scroll 1. The Whisperer 2. The Vanished Ones 3. Quarterly Essay: Political Amnesia 4. From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant 5. The Lost Girls of Rome 6. Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? 7. Never Mind 8. The Vegetarian 9. Man on Fire 10. Comfort Zone 11. The Invisible man From Salem 12. Red Light 13. Balancing Act 14. Crimea: The Last Crusade 15. Misterioso 16. The Lost Sailors 17. Black Run 18. The Natural Way of Things 19. Piano Lessons 20. Pedigree 21. Sing Fox To Me 22. Mister Roberts 23. Talking To My Country 24. The Bricks That Built the Houses 25. Oblivion 26. The Sixth Extinction 27. The Cruel Stars of the Night 28. Normal 29. The Shepherd's Crown 30. Vixen 31. The Heart Goes Last 32. Firing Line: Australia's Path to War 33. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves 34. Fever of Animals 35. Our Souls at Night 36. Thermopylae: The Battle for the West 37. She Will Build Him a City 38. Quota 39. The Secret Chord 40. Beast 41. Zero K, by Don DeLillo. ** 42. The Princess of Burundi, by Kjell Eriksson **** 43. Enemy Within: American Politics in the Time of Trump *** 44. Gold Fame Citrus 45. The Rules of Backyard Cricket 46. The Association of Small Bombs 47. Moonstone: the boy who never was 48. Grant & I 49. The Wallcreeper 50. Coming Rain 51. Mothering Sunday 52. The World Without Us 53. His Bloody Project 54. The Sellout 55. Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl 56. Ghost River 57. Between a Wolf and a Dog 58. Space Dumplins
    59. Days Without End
    [​IMG]
    Days Without End
    by Sebastian Barry
    My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very much reminiscent of Brokeback Mountain, Days without End is the tale of two gay men serving together in the infantry, during the Indian wars, the Civil War and during its aftermath. Barry's novel encompasses both the anguish of military combat and the romantic love that keeps his protagonist going.

60. True Girt
    [​IMG]
    True Girt: The Unauthorised History of Australia
    by David Hunt
    My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Girt was one of the funniest books I have read in years; David Hunt's eye for the odd and ironic in Australia's colonial history was both illuminating and laugh-out-loud hilarious. It's successor True Girt takes the story from the days of the compulsive self-promoter Lachlan Macquarie through to the end of the bushranging era and the dawn of Federation. His parade of oddballs includes the roguish William Charles Wentworth, chancer John Batman, right-turning rebel Peter Lalor and the Jerilderie Jihadist Ned Kelly himself. Not to mention the only explorer ever to be shot dead by his camel. While funny, this book also contains some pretty trenchant home truths about Australia's treatment of its indigenous population, which lends the book a grim edge. It's a confronting read at times for those of us who benefited from their dispossession.

View all my reviews

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  13. California Dreamer

0. Asterix and the Missing Scroll 1. The Whisperer 2. The Vanished Ones 3. Quarterly Essay: Political Amnesia 4. From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant 5. The Lost Girls of Rome 6. Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? 7. Never Mind 8. The Vegetarian 9. Man on Fire 10. Comfort Zone 11. The Invisible man From Salem 12. Red Light 13. Balancing Act 14. Crimea: The Last Crusade 15. Misterioso 16. The Lost Sailors 17. Black Run 18. The Natural Way of Things 19. Piano Lessons 20. Pedigree 21. Sing Fox To Me 22. Mister Roberts 23. Talking To My Country 24. The Bricks That Built the Houses 25. Oblivion 26. The Sixth Extinction 27. The Cruel Stars of the Night 28. Normal 29. The Shepherd's Crown 30. Vixen 31. The Heart Goes Last 32. Firing Line: Australia's Path to War 33. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves 34. Fever of Animals 35. Our Souls at Night 36. Thermopylae: The Battle for the West 37. She Will Build Him a City 38. Quota 39. The Secret Chord 40. Beast 41. Zero K, by Don DeLillo. ** 42. The Princess of Burundi, by Kjell Eriksson **** 43. Enemy Within: American Politics in the Time of Trump *** 44. Gold Fame Citrus 45. The Rules of Backyard Cricket 46. The Association of Small Bombs 47. Moonstone: the boy who never was 48. Grant & I 49. The Wallcreeper 50. Coming Rain 51. Mothering Sunday 52. The World Without Us 53. His Bloody Project 54. The Sellout 55. Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl 56. Ghost River 57. Between a Wolf and a Dog 58. Space Dumplins 59. Days Without End 60. True Girt
    61. The Secrets She Kept/B]
    [​IMG]
    The Secrets She Kept
    by Brenda Novak
    My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Wealthy businessman Keith learns that his mother has been found dead, presumed to be suicide. Keith cannot believe that his domineering, successful mother could possibly have killed herself and sets out to prove that it was murder. In the process he digs up a lot of family secrets and rekindles a dormant affair. There are a lot of interesting twists and turns in Novak's plot, but it lacks the grit and darkness that I prefer in my crime fiction. This felt trashy, full of clumsy sex scenes and soap opera-level melodrama. View all my reviews

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

78. Broken Trust- W.E.B. Griffin

Latest in Griffin's Badge of Honor series regarding Detective Sergeant Matt Payne, who solves all the murders but one (maybe next book?), and does his usual "righteous shooting" in the process.

Entertaining, but not overly so- B-/C+

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  15. California Dreamer

0. Asterix and the Missing Scroll 1. The Whisperer 2. The Vanished Ones 3. Quarterly Essay: Political Amnesia 4. From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant 5. The Lost Girls of Rome 6. Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? 7. Never Mind 8. The Vegetarian 9. Man on Fire 10. Comfort Zone 11. The Invisible man From Salem 12. Red Light 13. Balancing Act 14. Crimea: The Last Crusade 15. Misterioso 16. The Lost Sailors 17. Black Run 18. The Natural Way of Things 19. Piano Lessons 20. Pedigree 21. Sing Fox To Me 22. Mister Roberts 23. Talking To My Country 24. The Bricks That Built the Houses 25. Oblivion 26. The Sixth Extinction 27. The Cruel Stars of the Night 28. Normal 29. The Shepherd's Crown 30. Vixen 31. The Heart Goes Last 32. Firing Line: Australia's Path to War 33. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves 34. Fever of Animals 35. Our Souls at Night 36. Thermopylae: The Battle for the West 37. She Will Build Him a City 38. Quota 39. The Secret Chord 40. Beast 41. Zero K, by Don DeLillo. ** 42. The Princess of Burundi, by Kjell Eriksson **** 43. Enemy Within: American Politics in the Time of Trump *** 44. Gold Fame Citrus 45. The Rules of Backyard Cricket 46. The Association of Small Bombs 47. Moonstone: the boy who never was 48. Grant & I 49. The Wallcreeper 50. Coming Rain 51. Mothering Sunday 52. The World Without Us 53. His Bloody Project 54. The Sellout 55. Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl 56. Ghost River 57. Between a Wolf and a Dog 58. Space Dumplins 59. Days Without End 60. True Girt 61. The Secrets She Kept/B]
    62. The Noise of Time
    [​IMG]
    The Noise of Time
    by Julian Barnes
    My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is a novelised account of Shostakovich's life under the heel of the oppression exerted by Stalin and then by Khrushchev. Barnes captures Shostakovich's brushes with Power at three crucial stages in his life and, in the process, posits questions about who owns music, what is it for, and on the nature of courage versus cowardice in the face of a lifetime of intimidation.

View all my reviews]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  16. Geoffrey Firmin

65 Passchendaele Requiem for Doomed Youth by Paul Ham

In the Introduction the author writes " Stay the distance and we shall meet on the other side, with a deeper understanding of what human beings are capable of doing to their fellow creatures, and why." "I am not prepared to accept the position of butchers boy driving cattle to the slaughter." PM David Lloyd George 1917.

One hundred years in 1917 since one of the most insane campaigns which was another monumental waste of human life in a war that was basically the death rattle of the European Monarchy. Have read pervious works by Ham and find he has an interesting ability to blend historical fact and cultural observation. A book which I'm a third of the way through. It will take me through to the end of the year while avoiding a summer of cricket.

I've read numerous books on the subject and I would recommend this.The best book on the subject IMHO is They Called it Passchendaele by Lyn Macdonald.

17. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Just reread Morning Glories, a 50-issue comic book series about a group of students held against their will at a mysterious elite boarding school. Often compared to Lost in terms of its scope, structure, and quantum surrealness, it's a fun and engrossing read, especially now that it can be read without waiting months for the next 30 pages.

18. Geoffrey Firmin

William Gibson has written a 5 part sci fi comic series called Archangel I bought the first issue six months ago after reading a review. I'm still waiting for issue 4 god only knows when it's going to finish.

1 person likes this.
  19. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

79. The Wrong Side of Goodbye- Michael Connelly

Pending his lawsuit against LAPD, Harry Bosch is working as both a private investigator, and part time investigator for the San Fernando Police Department. He solves a case in each area concurrently, with a series of brilliant deductions no one else seems to have though of.

Rousing Read- a definite thumbs-up!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

New Year, New Title.

1 person likes this.