1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2017 50 Book Challenge

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 23, 2010.

1. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Clockwise counting 4/50: John Le Carre - A Most Wanted Man (2008)

I love Le Carre's books, he is a unique author - his style, his mood, his special world of deceit all has the touch of genius. I have read most of his novels and my favourites are The Spy Who Came in From the Cold; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and maybe especially The Honourable Schoolboy - all counted among the true classics of the espionage genre. Le Carre is now 80 years old but his more recent novels show that he remains (almost) as brilliant as he was several decades ago. 

This one is about the War on Terror, ethics, lies, power play, religion and human weakness. It's a story about individuals trying to follow their moral compass and the "super" power whose agents are trained to get the job done, not think. Some wonderful character studies as in all Le Carre novels, not as complex and ultimately satisfying as his best works but still very very good. 

It feels just fine to be ahead of the pace this year, 50 should not be too hard. Working on something thick at the moment.

:)

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

Eh...I feel like I should read Dorian Gray since I'm about to pick up Huysmans' Against The Grain, but I am just averse to Oscar Wilde. I think being cast as the lead in Importance of Being Earnest scarred me my freshman year in HS.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Read it. You'll like it.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

3) To Cork or Not To Cork by George Taber. Really fun, fast (finished in two days though it's 250 pgs) read. Fascinating look into the history of cork, the cork industry, etc etc, alternative closures, and whatnot. Very informative and good to read.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

4. Black Ops- WEB Griffin 2010

Charley Castillo does NOT do any Famous Grouse. Does link up on a permanent basis with a defected Russian spy, and gets bounced by the President. But then he gets hired by some other high rollers to do the same thing on a private basis and all's well that ends well.

6. TheDelta

TheDelta Member

I'll jump in as a first time poster. Finished "The Game of Numbers" by Nick Murray yesterday as I have every intent of becoming a financial advisor with a respected firm within the next year. Also simultaneously listening to "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. I'm through 5 of the 7 disks that came in the audiobook.

I have a feeling my list will be split down the middle between fiction and non-fiction as I have a ton of non-fiction stuff I would like to start (Art of War, The Prince, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, etc.) but also would like to read some classic fiction. Read the novel "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell" toward the end of 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed the wordiness (compared to my previous readings) so I think my next fiction mountain is Charles Dickens. Just not sure which of his works to go for first.

Obviously any recommendations for must reads are welcomed. I enjoy reading but up until now I haven't strayed much into that of classics, or anything outside of younger target audiences (enders game series, Eragon, Bourne series)

Oh ya, and Hi everyone! maybe from here I'll start to post in the actual clothing style part of this as well!

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Scroll back a bit and there's a link to"1001 books to read before you die". The list is intimidating, but it will give you anything you want to know...

Welcome to the thread. So far there's a lot of interest, which is much better than last year when there were only 2 of us who finished. 4 books a month- that's the best way to think of it IMO.

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Keep meaning to post. So far for 2012:

Litigators by John Grisham. Typical light read, even more so than usual. I'd rate in the middle-of-the-pack in his body of work.
    1491 by Charles Mann. Interesting. In the same cultural apologetics vein as Diamond, but if you ignore the biases, it's a really interesting book.
    Through My Father's Eyes by Timothy Richard Tebow. Killed some time.
    Before I Sleep by S.J. Watson. Good novel, not great.
    2003 Anthology of Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dubois. Awesome read.

Currently reading:
    The Iliad (second time)
    He Talk Like a White Boy by ...forget the guy's name, played the army husband of Denise on the Cosby Show. Pretty garden variety black conservative stuff, I'm losing interest about midway through.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

End up at 48 books for the year and narrowly fail, to the amusement of those who know it should be 4.17 books per month.

One thing I decided to change from last year is to try to avoid being off the pace from an early stage, it just creates too much stress. I will aim at no less than 5 books a month - at least until the summmer.

And welcome to the thread TheDelta!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

As a scifi buff myself this sounds very interesting!

11. FLMountainMan

Used bookstores are chock full of sci-fi anthologies. There are three major ones published a year, although one (Ellen Datlow's) blends horror and sci-fi :slayer:

12. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Been meaning to post again for a little while, but I've had trouble coming up with good capsule reviews. Here we go, though:

3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
    Ehh, this was alright, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

SPOILER ALERT I found the book much more compelling when it was structured like a murder mystery; once that concept was ditched by the author, I rapidly lost interest. I think that there was a good left-field mystery novel buried somewhere in the first half of this book, but that got lost in all of the family melodrama. END SPOILER ALERT

It's an easy enough read, though, so if you're looking for a quick 2 day that tugs at your heartstrings a little and pats you on the head, and where everything works out alright in the end, then this one's for you.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Wine: The 8,000 Year-Old Story of the Wine Trade by Thomas Pellachia. Really a good read. Takes you (obviously) through the entire history of the wine trade, including its production and its effect on social situations throughout written history. It's more of a "survey" book, but a very fun read and the Bibliography alone has given me another 10+ books to read about more detailed sections of wine's history.

14. zeusbheld

zeusbheld Active Member

which translation?

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

5. Cannery Row (1945) John Steinbeck
    I started really liking this because of the prose, and the creation and description of the characters. SO superior to the GI Joe books I read to start the year. Then it got boring in the middle, better at the end. Description of Doc's party was excellent. I like Steinbeck, but preferred the Grapes of Wrath and The Pearl to this one. But I'm down to 927 or so... :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  16. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

6. Steve Jobs (2011) Walter Isaacson
    Biography, named one of 2011's best books. Came out about a month after Jobs died. Chronicles his life; its many successes and very few failures.
    According to Isaacson it was important to Jobs that Isaacson be allowed to write what he wanted without censure, without Jobs even reading what he wrote.. This was done, I feel to a fault. I've never owned an Apple, always thought Jobs and the company were arrogant.
    But this was a hatchet job.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

I am in.

1. Sophie's World

18. FLMountainMan

Lattimore. Not a fan.

19. FLMountainMan

On a Lee Child (the Jack Reacher series) tear. Knocked out:

The Enemy
    61 Hours
    Worth Dying For.

On deck:
    Lee Child. Echo Burning
    Erik Larson. In the Garden of Beasts.
    Horton, ed. Science Fiction Best of the Year 2008.
    Dozois, ed. Year's Best Science Fiction. 2000.

I really do plan to get back into nonfiction, just not feeling it right now. At this rate, I'll probably get around eighty books this year (I slow down in the summer due to longer daylight).

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^Reacher is a BAMF.
    Love those books.

edit: You should look into the John Rain series. Barry Eisler, author.
    I always picture TokyoSlim when I read those.