2015-2016 Official Football / Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Oh, absolutely, I love Theo and I'm so happy to see him doing so well upfront. I had only meant to highlight the last three big ticket purchases and how essential their contribution was, and that wenger shouldn't be afraid to buy more players. I'm absolutely gutted we didn't get Martial. :brick:

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I have no loyalty to Arsenal, but I don't get the Wenger hate. Winning the BPL or Champions League is not easy. It's like teams firing NFL head coaches for contending for but not winning the Superbowl. Even a good team with great coaching in its best year is going to struggle to win a Superbowl and talent / injuries affect things from year to year. You've been in the top 4 every year during Wenger's tenure. In the 20 or so years before Wenger, Arsenal was not nearly as consistent. I get that trophies are nice and that fans care about them, but changing your manager when you've been consistently good may very well result in the team getting worse.

As an aside, much of this "hate" is not so much here on SF as out there more broadly. You guys seem more levelheaded than most.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I couldn't agree more.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Kopp to liverpool is a huge waste. They are very far from being compettive at the moment and need way too many signings to fix that sinking ship. I think if Abramovic were wise, he'd dump Jose quickly and sign Kopp.

not sold on ozil, he's been very inconsistent, in fact generally a detriment to the team. he often moves backward, has wasteful passes and is unreliable to keep possession. i can just hope he gains confidence, but one reason he appeared so great before is he was playing behind cristiano ronaldo during the pinnacle of his career where anything he touched was a [tap-in] goal = assists galore for mesud.

i'm not too disappointed we didn't get martial. he's got incredible pace there's no doubt. but he's downplaying these nonsensical comparisons to Thierry in the media and rightly so -- before the match vs United, Thierry mentioned that for a quick forward it's a good strategy to play closer to mertesacker. and martial did the opposite , so gabriel could mark him and do a better job of keeping up ... only time will tell, of course.

5. archibaldleach

Ozil saves his good stuff for Germany.

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

He hasn't had "good stuff" in a long long time.

7. archibaldleach

Disagree. He's inconsistent, but definitely has his moments. More consistent for Germany too, IMO.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

With how Ozil and Di Maria have performed thus far in their Post-Madrid careers, I don't mind the sales nearly as much as I thought I would.

Still would've kept Xabi Alonso though.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Man U doing the yankees thing and buying high for all acquistions

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

That's insane.

11. the shah

not sure you can say that about di maria, it's really united and not him. he's been great for argentina and started off quite well at paris. i didn't like him much while he was at madrid but i think he's improved or rather matured a lot.

ozil on the other hand :uhoh:

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

It is not. He hasn't looked the same since those three good years at Madrid...he definitely hasn't been up to par at Arsenal. He just looks sluggish these days...like he's running around with a weight vest on. Like I said, he has not been good lately...which makes me happy.

13. the shah

meanwhile at FIFA ... Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been provisionally banned from football for 90 days and Chung Mong-joon banned for six years.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

And Messi will stand trial for Tax Fraud.

15. the shah

Good news for gooners, cazorla sanchez and theo are all performing. that's something like 17 in 16 games for club and country for walcott who is more predatory than ever, has gotten the side footed lean down pat (finally!).
    I only saw highlights of germany match but ozil was firing blanks except when offside.