1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2014 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I am unreasonably excited for TAMU/Bama next week.

1 person likes this.
  2. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Which coach is the most logical choice to replace Mack Brown?

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I've put zero thought into that and it will likely remain that way.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

They're going to throw some SERIOUS. FUCKING. MONEY. at someone. I would absolutely love to see them getting into a bidding war with Bama over Saban - it would be so fun to watch.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

It doesn't take much to be bowl eligible. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 7-5 or 6-6 season followed by a bowl loss, though.

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Hahahah. I was at SC today visiting friends and they had "Fire Lane" (as in the no parking sign) stickers all over campus including on that stupid statue.

No pass longer than 8 yards is pure comedy.

1 person likes this.
  7. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

The coming "How do we get rid of Mack and who do we get to replace him?" crisis at UT is going to be insanely entertaining.

8. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

It's harder in the pac-12, where you play 9 conference games, and you already lost at home to one of the worst teams in the conference. Also, USC's remaining non-conference games are, Boston College, Utah State, and Notre Dame*. So not really cupcakes for non conference foes.

* They get to play 13 regular season games because they played at Hawaii.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  9. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I've been in austin since right after he was hired and it's always entertaining. There are many people who see through him and recognize his ineptitude. There are also a bunch of fucking homers who have no clue and always try to shift the blame to his staff. Diaz got thrown under the bus and I feel bad for him. Mack has fostered a pussy culture and his team is comprised of a bunch of cream puffs who quit when things get tough.

It's glaringly obvious that the problem with their program starts at the top (Dodds included). Mack was a shitty coach before he was saved by Vince Young/Colt McCoy, and he's been a shitty coach ever since they left.

I can't see Saban wanting to come to Austin for 2 big reasons:

1. He wants complete control of his program and that ain't gonna happen at Texas. Too many cooks in the kitchen in most things here in Texas (see Jerry Jones, et al). It's a statewide mentality.

2. He's old and he finally has a program built to his specs. I can't see why he'd want to throw that away and start from scratch, even with the promise of more money. Plus, I think he prefers SEC style football and doesn't want to go fuck with a bunch of cutesy spread offense shit. On top of that, there are too many happy-hippy-yogacycle fuckwits here and his head would explode.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The hot coaching prospects for a school like Texas are not coaches at other established powers. They're the coaches of traditionally second-tier schools that have moved their school into the top tier. Think Louisville coach Charlie Strong.

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yes, agreed, and I also agree with grundletaint that it's almost impossible to picture Saban going to Texas, mostly for the reasons he listed. My first thought when someone mentioned the possibility of Saban going anywhere was, "why in the world would he leave Alabama at 60+ years old when he's built an empire in Tuscaloosa?"

I know football is a big deal in Texas; it's a big deal here in Georgia, too. But I don't think anyone who doesn't live right next door can quite grasp what Crimson Tide football means to Alabamans. It's next level, and I can't see any reason Saban would give up what he has for another college job.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Interesting bit of trivia I saw in an article:

Also, only one of those teams lost to a then-ranked opponent.

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

The only thing that would make Saban go to Texas is $. He could basically name any outrageous amount and they would pay it. I'm talking like $12M+ a year and Texas would pay it without blinking.

14. MrG

MrG Senior member

I just Googled Nick Saban to see what his current salary is, and the first link that came up was "Report: Nick Saban to visit Texas" at SI. I thought, "no way" and clicked the link, which led me to a 404 error. Then I Googled "nick saban visit texas," and the first link was again the SI article, followed by a more recent article from Awful Announcing entitled "SI.com takes Saban to Texas joke as news" :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

That's actually kind of hilarious. (link)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

wtf gsu isn't bad enough to make espn's bottom 10 rankings. we don't get no respect I tells ya...

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

Just wanted to commend you two on your solid work this week in the SF pick 'em.

On account of my ability to make it all the way to week two without failing to submit my picks, Uga IX's Brown Spots has jumped out to a commanding lead. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  18. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Damn it. This is what I get for not bothering to figure out how to have it send updates to my gmail address.

1 person likes this.
  19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I don't think so. Unless Kiffin can really turn this team around, I predict the Trojans will finish no better than 3-9 or 4-8.

This might well be their worst season since 1957, when they finished 1-9.

20. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Jesus, yes.

I've been saying that since he was coach at UNC. He recruited great talent, then coached them to be good. That's why he never won an ACC title, and that was back in the easy days, when you could just about coast to a title by not losing to Clemson.

The only reason the Longhorns won a National Title is because Vince Young wouldn't let them roll over and die in the fourth quarter. He turned all Brown's shitty busted plays into gold and carried that team to a win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.