2014 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Yeah...it was pretty bleak.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

You know going to UGA means you have to be a Dawg fan, right? You sure you could handle that?

Yeah, a scholarship would probably make it worth tolerating Gainesville for a while. UF was actually my last-resort, nothing-else-is-working backup plan when I was applying to grad schools. I had a professor who absolutely loved me, and he had some friends on faculty there. He basically told me that he'd get me a spot if I couldn't find anything else. Thank goodness UGA recognized my epicness and gave me money.

I'd do a pick 'em.

This isn't the guy whose wedding you attended a couple years back, thus bringing my SF and real lives crashing together in one exceptionally bizarre evening, is it?

Funny, I'll be out on the town in Atlanta Saturday, too.

If I were Ed, I'd be looking at doing the MBA in Athens. No reason not to if you have the mobility and need the full program. I looked at the cost at the Buckhead campus, which is where I'd have to do it, and it's no joke. I've entertained the idea of the EMBA if I'm still here in a few years, but we'll see where I am and if it's worth it.

3. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Not the people you're thinking of, thank goodness (I really love both sides of that entire family; I'd be really distraught to hear that they didn't make it). This guy and his friends are coming into town for DragonCon, so it should be a pretty epically nerdy Saturday. If you end up downtown, though, shoot me a text on Saturday.

I also think it's a pretty wise pick. Terry has a decent amount of traction in Atlanta and the f/t program is really inexpensive given that most people get assistantships. If you get one (and you didn't have any savings), you could probably do the entire two years without taking out more than $5k in student loans.

4. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

ESPN is reporting that Johhny Football will be suspended for 1/2 game. They couldn't even get him for a full game. Wtf? The NCAA is a huge joke.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

Good to know it's not who I was thinking. I don't know him well, but he and his wife struck me as nice, happy people when I met them. I'd hate to hear things hadn't gone well for them.

I'll definitely hit you up if we're down that way. I honestly have no idea what we'll be doing. The guys I'm hanging out with are terrible at planning, so I suspect I won't know what's going on until it's happening.

I didn't realize assistantships were so common in the MBA. That's a pretty sweet deal.

I came here to post the same thing. Disgraceful. Must be nice to have a Heisman to protect you from real consequences.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

7. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Every year I think the NCAA has debased itself as much as possible for profit and shown that it cares nothing about the ideals it pretends to uphold, and every year it manages to find a new way to look even more venal and corrupt.

8. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Not sure if this is just rumor mongering, but it certainly is interesting.

Source: NCAA Finds Out Manziel And Others On Autograph “Client List”

9. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

YES!!!!

I got my MBA at FSU. Pretty good program. Strong in IT and Ops Management. Good in Finance too, but not up to UF's level. Was surprised at how shitty the Org Psych professor was though, that area was real strong when I was in undergrad there.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

UGA does get LSU and SC at home, vs Florida is on the road.

We got a good Dawg crowd in this thread. None of my work buddies watch college ball (heretics), so it's just me and the wife up here. DC is pretty bleak college football territory. Va Tech fans will always say "But Tech fans love some football!" They just don't get it. There's a reason your stadium is only 66k guys.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

11. edinatlanta

While this is true, IIRC, they lack evidence showing Manziel took any money. Not much they can do without that.

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Their punishments are so wildly inconsistent. It really makes them look arbitrary and corrupt.

FSU self-reports a cheating episode (involving 150 students and a dozen or so football players). NCAA determines that no one in the administration knew about it. Scholarship reductions, wins vacated, Track & Field National Championship revoked, etc...

Oregon gets caught writing a $25,000 check to a friend of two players. Recruiting visits cut from 41 to 37 for two years. One scholarship cut for two years.

Boise State lets some players sleep on the coaches' couches for a couple of weeks. Three scholarships reduced for three years.

Montana booster pays a player's bail, another booster provides in-kind legal services. Three years' probation, forfeit five wins, four scholarships cut for three years. Most SEC schools (among others) have a booster providing free legal services. Not a secret or anything, several magazines written about it.

You could go on and on - USC, Auburn, etc...

The NCAA is your typical university administration - corrupt, incompetent, and inefficient.

13. edinatlanta

14. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'll jump in this evening, Ed. Didn't have a chance to last night. Crazy busy, and my only sports-related activities were for fantasy football.

Yeah, I think Florida's schedule is tougher throughout the season than Georgia's. Once we get through the first month, which is a meat grinder, it eases up considerably. I was thinking Tennessee when I made the SEC East comment; they play half of the preseason top 10 in their first eight games. That is just insane.

Still, I'm not blown away by Florida's schedule, but other people seem to be.

Yeah, we're well represented in this thread. Maybe we'll be even more so next year if Ed starts that UGA MBA.

The football crowd is definitely smaller in my office, at least in my division, than it was in my last one, but that's not altogether surprising given my last office was in Athens. At one point, everyone in my division had at least one UGA degree. Ironically enough, when we did add a non-Dawg, it was a Hokie. He was really into football, but, yeah, he didn't quite get it. I am starting to discover who the football fans are in my new office, but I don't think it will ever be quite as epic as my Athens coworkers.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

15. edinatlanta

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.