Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2014 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

While I haven't read more than the headlines yet and I agree with the overall sentiment its worth noting that the ncaa already fucked up this investigation and couldn't use all the evidence in the media and the university imposed its own punishment so in this specific instance it isn't as bad as people make it out to be

3. MrG

MrG Stylish Dinosaur

I disagree. It's an utter failure of epic proportions. It might not be the worst decision the NCAA has ever made regarding sanctions, but it's close.

Now, I do agree that it was probably ineptitude rather than impotence that led the penalty to be so light, but that doesn't make it any less bad.

4. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior Member

They did self impose a bowl ban the last two years.

But yes, the NCAA is an antiquated joke.

Continue with the ripping.

5. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

LOL

[​IMG]

6. gumercindo

gumercindo Distinguished Member

People like to brush this aside but this is significant; unprecedented in fact. They also self imposed an ACCCG. Further, they had this cloud over the program for 2+ years that affected recruiting, etc.

At the end of the day, hardly anything could be substantiated by the NCAA's questionable tactics. The coaches that had involvement are no longer at the school and were punished accordingly. Miami cooperated fully and openly with the NCAA, which was also a big factor in all this.

7. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Distinguished Member

Yeah, Miami really acted admirably. They've suffered so much and they've tried so hard to do the right thing. They should be rewarded for their openness and strong response, not punished for the isolated actions of a few individuals that aren't even there any more. What has this world come to?

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Your right I should have said bad for reasons other than why folks are angry. And I don't get why people are acting like its something new that when people admit wrongdoing and self imposing a penalty and thus getting a reduced sentence is something new in society.

9. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Fuck Miami (1991 Cotton Bowl).

10. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Because the NCAA is so inconsistent. Because frequently the NCAA hasn't gone lenient on self-reporters (e.g. FSU). Because the NCAA typically doesn't behave the way you're describing.

11. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior Member

That is a great article. I wouldn't have even thought it was possible for me to become more cynical about the NCAA, but I did. I have tended to think of the NCAA as simply a representative of its constituents, the various colleges and universities that are its members. But the article clarified, that beyond being that, the NCAA is itself a bureaucratic institution driven by its own internal imperatives, mainly self preservation and self interest. Which I think you see in this case. For example, this isn't quite right

It seems that some of the NCAA investigators acted inappropriately somehow, but if they treated Miami harshly, those staff might have been held to account. Given the choice between holding both staff and Miami to a high standard or both to a low standard, they chose the latter. I don't think that decision should really be described as ineptitude.

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Left the game at halftime despite having eighth row seats. Winston had 229 yards passing in the first quarter. Only signs of trouble were difficulty establishing the run and the usual terrible clock management. I swear, if FSU managed the clock like Oregon, Jameis Winston's stats would be insane.

13. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

The Hokies need a new kicker. Now.

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I can't believe Duke beat a ranked team on the road.

15. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

Neither can I, my Hokies at that. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.