1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2014 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I think 'Bama's lines are better than ours and I don't see us beating them. I love this team, but I guess I'm too jaded to drink that much Koolaid yet.

2. FLMountainMan

Offenses generally improve as the season goes on. Besides, the fact that you think the offense is bad is a pretty good indication it's going to get better.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

'Bama
    FSU
    Oregon

is your BCS top three.

The other teams are hoping for a loss from one of them.

4. edinatlanta

wow. The computer polls all rank FSU number 1.

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

As a Buckeye fan, I'm not hoping for those teams to lose. I am not convinced we could beat any of the three right now, although Oregon I'd take my chances against.

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I'm glad I was camping this weekend. I was a little worried about Vandy, and those fears were confirmed. I was watching the score, but that only live action I caught was the tail end on the radio.

Anyone calling for Richt's firing right now can go punch themselves in the dick. Seriously, Georgia was tracking for the BCS until they got absolutely torn apart by injuries. All of the criticisms about Richt - lost his touch, can't win anymore against elite competition, etc. - were exposed as BS over the last couple of seasons. Hell, he's even won a couple in a row against Florida.

Now, a few years back, when we were going 8-5 and 6-7, I understood the griping, and my position was, "let's give him a little time to right the ship." Lo and behold, he righted it, and we were an RCH from the NC game last season. Then, this season the team looked like it could hang with anyone, but now it has been absolutely ravaged with injuries. Conley's injury on Saturday means Georgia lost its top four receivers this season on top of losing a potentially Heisman-level RB and his backup (who could probably start for most of the SEC). It has to be nearly unprecedented to have that many skill players miss multiple games in a season, especially all at once.

It was injuries, not poor coaching, that doomed this season. Georgia beat two top-10 teams and was a field goal away from a third (on the road), and the wheels didn't start to come off until people started getting hurt. That ain't coincidence.

I think Georgia can still win the rest of its games, especially if they can get a receiver or two and Gurley healthy during the bye week. Still, even if they lose another one (smart money's on AU), 8-4, 9-4 with a bowl game, isn't outrageous in context.

This all said, something needs to change with the defense and special teams. I don't understand what has happened to Grantham, but I hope, if a change needs to be made, Richt doesn't drag it out like he did with Martinez. WRT special teams, I know people want a dedicated coach, but who do you fire to make that happen?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable. Losing our six top skill players outside of Murray? You could really see Murray looking around like "...who do I throw to? Who are these people?"

Is there some kind of limitation on how many coaches you can have? I'm pretty sure UGA athletics would cough up an extra $100k for a ST coach.

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yeah, you can see the hesitation in Murray's play. He just doesn't look quite as comfortable as he was before everyone started getting hurt.

Yup, NCAA bylaws cap the total number of coaches a team can have. There's been talk in the past about Richt needing to hire a dedicated ST coach, but the counter is always that he doesn't want to give up a position coach to do it. That said, I'm not sure I buy that he's doing the math right given what an Achilles' heel ST has turned out to be in recent seasons. I mean, do we really need a TE coach more than a ST coach, especially since we also have an OL and WR coach?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  9. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

So Miami ran a pay-for-play system for a decade. A certified booster plied recruits with cash, booze and hookers. Multiple coaches across different coaching regimes knew about it and they get no bowl ban, no loss of wins, and lose a minimal number of scholarships. NCAA are pimps.

10. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

In fairness to the U, they did ban themselves for 2 years for post season play.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

3 people like this.
  12. edinatlanta

While I haven't read more than the headlines yet and I agree with the overall sentiment its worth noting that the ncaa already fucked up this investigation and couldn't use all the evidence in the media and the university imposed its own punishment so in this specific instance it isn't as bad as people make it out to be

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

I disagree. It's an utter failure of epic proportions. It might not be the worst decision the NCAA has ever made regarding sanctions, but it's close.

Now, I do agree that it was probably ineptitude rather than impotence that led the penalty to be so light, but that doesn't make it any less bad.

14. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

They did self impose a bowl ban the last two years.

But yes, the NCAA is an antiquated joke.

Continue with the ripping.

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

16. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

People like to brush this aside but this is significant; unprecedented in fact. They also self imposed an ACCCG. Further, they had this cloud over the program for 2+ years that affected recruiting, etc.

At the end of the day, hardly anything could be substantiated by the NCAA's questionable tactics. The coaches that had involvement are no longer at the school and were punished accordingly. Miami cooperated fully and openly with the NCAA, which was also a big factor in all this.

17. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Yeah, Miami really acted admirably. They've suffered so much and they've tried so hard to do the right thing. They should be rewarded for their openness and strong response, not punished for the isolated actions of a few individuals that aren't even there any more. What has this world come to?

18. edinatlanta

Your right I should have said bad for reasons other than why folks are angry. And I don't get why people are acting like its something new that when people admit wrongdoing and self imposing a penalty and thus getting a reduced sentence is something new in society.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Fuck Miami (1991 Cotton Bowl).

20. FLMountainMan

Because the NCAA is so inconsistent. Because frequently the NCAA hasn't gone lenient on self-reporters (e.g. FSU). Because the NCAA typically doesn't behave the way you're describing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.