Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2014 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

They're dumb college kids who were likely drunk and have probably never been to a play before. Meh.

2. edinatlanta

3. edinatlanta

[​IMG]

Another pick 'em im in has 54% of participants siding with the Panthers.

4. edinatlanta

FYI, by selecting 20 confidence points, it means I have metaphysical certainty in my pick.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Texas is a stunningly sloppy team for the quality of players that have been recruited to play for them. Just embarrassing.

6. edinatlanta

Wow. RT @Marq_Burnett: RT @philsteele042 Georgia St returned 2,014 of the 3,000 tickets they were alloted for the Alabama game.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

This is sort of my opinion on it. Yeah, it's gross and completely unacceptable, but there needs to be some perspective. It's stupid kids acting like stupid kids. This has already made the rounds on my Facebook, and the attendant "OMG!!!1!!eleventy!! Throw them out of school and make them die!!!" is more than a little :rolleyes:.

Can't blame them. I honestly don't understand why any GSU fan would even bother with that game. I bet 985 of the 986 that did sell are GSU students/alumni who are sidewalk alumni of Alabama who just wanted to see Bama play anyone.

8. edinatlanta

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the typical return rate for non-conference/rivalry games (IE: our school will beat up your school games) is very similar.

FLMM, here's my prediction for this weekend. FSU annihilates Maryland. They would get a good win and because next week is a bye, they get plenty of time to rest up afterwrad.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

Definitely. I wasn't trying to bag on GSU with that post. I'm sure the same thing happens in these types of games happens all the time, and the "sidewalk alumni" comment was mostly a statement on the sizable Bama fan population in Atlanta.

10. edinatlanta

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I've never quite understood why people get so passionate about a school for which they have no connection. Like, at least with me and FSU, my dad went there, but most of GA did not go to UGA. I don't get why so many people are rabid Bulldogs fans. College athletics is about supporting something you have ties to (IMO) as its ostensibly an institution you are supporting as opposed to a sports franchise which is just whichever city wants to put up the money. IRDK.

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm conflicted on this, but I generally agree. I was a UGA fan before I went there, but, sort of how you are with FSU, it was more complex than just being a fan.

I think, for people who didn't go to college at all, or went to one without any athletics program, it's just a way to choose your favorite college sports team so you have some skin in the game. FWIW, however, I will say that I view being a fan as more "legitimate" when you've attended that school. If you didn't go to, say, UGA and are a fan, that's cool and all, but it's not the same as being an alumnus. Also, I do not hesitate, even for a moment, to talk shit to sidewalk alumni about the fact that they didn't attend "their" school.

The people who really bug me are the ones who go to one school and root for another they never attended. You see this a lot in people who grew up a fan of a particular school but never attended that school. I know one girl who grew up an Alabama fan, got her BA at Georgetown, MA at UGA, and PhD at one of the SUNY schools. For whom does she root come football season? Alabama.

Actually, that leads me to another group I can't stand: People who vacillate between schools they like and/or attended based upon which one is performing better. I know one girl who grew up in Blacksburg, VA a fan of VaTech, and her dad is way up in their athletics program. She did not, however, go to VaTech, she went to UM, but now she lives in Blacksburg again. It's amazing to watch her fandom shift with each team's relative strength.

Oh, and the worst are the people who go to one school for undergrad and then attend a rival for grad school. I knew I guy like this in grad school. He went to UF for undergrad and then came to UGA for both his MPA and PhD. He used to talk outrageous amounts of shit about UGA, and it was obnoxious. If you want to root exclusively for your undergrad team, that's fine, but UGA is good enough for you to stay to get two degrees. STFU with the UGA bashing.

12. edinatlanta

Should've told him something like: "for once, UF was smarter than UGA by not allowing you back." Needs some tweaking.

The only exception to my above post is for Catholics who root for Notre Dame, but as the religion loses its catholicity I think that is a harder and harder thing to endorse.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

Ha. That would have been sweet. Seriously, though, I hated that guy. His stupidity regarding college sports was just one manifestation of what an asshat he was.

I'm not compelled by the whole Catholic-Notre Dame thing. A similar argument could be used for people born and raised in a state rooting for the state's flagship university.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

14. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have been a Florida fan since the days of Steve Spurrier choking in big games and Ron Zook plowingus ito the tank. I grew up in Texas and have noo ties to Florida. So what gives?

Well as a kid in Nigeria whenever I watched cnn sports show the only American football team they showed where the Cowboys and the Gators.

I hated the Cowboys because they always won everything

As the the Gators I grew attached to seeing Spurrier's style of game. I didn't understand what was going on but I just saew them throw a lot and wrs catching beautiful passes. People think I became a florida fan during the Tebow era. If only there were around to see me screaming "fire Ron Zook" to anyone that would listen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.