• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jesus, yes.

I've been saying that since he was coach at UNC. He recruited great talent, then coached them to be good. That's why he never won an ACC title, and that was back in the easy days, when you could just about coast to a title by not losing to Clemson.

The only reason the Longhorns won a National Title is because Vince Young wouldn't let them roll over and die in the fourth quarter. He turned all Brown's ****** busted plays into gold and carried that team to a win.

Give Mack some credit. He never won the ACC because of Florida State and not because of him being a ****** coach.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2. Georgia State 0-2 "Not Afraid:" After opening their first season in FBS with losses to FCS foes Samford and Chattanooga, the Panthers are still staring at road trips to West Virginia and Alabama. "I'm not afraid. To take a stand. Everybody. Come take my hand. We'll walk this road together, through the storm."

:slayer:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
William and Mary almost beat WV. You guys can take 'em.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with firing Kiffin is who do you replace him with? To rebuild, they would need a first rank coach but none are available in September. Even in January, I doubt the most coveted guys are going to be beating down USC's door with two more years of sanctions in place.

Speaking of sanctions, it seems like YahooSports has the goods on a bunch of SEC players accepting money from agents. Just like Reggie Bush. But you know those schools are smart (and scurrilous) enough to lawyer up, so the NCAA will probably be as impotent as they have been with Miami. Also seems that Okie State was pretty much running a pay for play system for a decade. What a shock.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Bush was that someone on the coaching staff knew about it. Unless they can prove any coaches knew, or if these guys will even cooperate and hand over evidence (which as of now they claim they won't), there isn't much the NCAA can do...again.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T. Boone Pickens University was dirty. Say it ain't so...

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem with firing Kiffin is who do you replace him with? To rebuild, they would need a first rank coach but none are available in September. Even in January, I doubt the most coveted guys are going to be beating down USC's door with two more years of sanctions in place.

Speaking of sanctions, it seems like YahooSports has the goods on a bunch of SEC players accepting money from agents. Just like Reggie Bush. But you know those schools are smart (and scurrilous) enough to lawyer up, so the NCAA will probably be as impotent as they have been with Miami. Also seems that Okie State was pretty much running a pay for play system for a decade. What a shock.

USC's sanctions are over after this season. They serious talent (and potential talent) on that roster. Any decent coach should be able to make this team into a 8 win team next year and the recruits will still come. But ifSC hires the wrong guy and the Trojans put up another mediocre year, it could be many years before they get back to prominence with the rise of UCLA and the continued dominance of Stanfurd.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem with Bush was that someone on the coaching staff knew about it. Unless they can prove any coaches knew, or if these guys will even cooperate and hand over evidence (which as of now they claim they won't), there isn't much the NCAA can do...again.

Be careful. I am sure what you meant to say was the NCAA is about to lose a defamation suit for maliciously and recklessly alleging that someone on the USC coaching staff knew. But that's the way it goes. If you sue, then they have to prove that you knew about it. If you don't get a lawyer than you have to prove that you didn't know about. The NCAA, mostly by incompetence, have created an environment that schools always do better by not co-operating and fighting them in court. Look at Penn State, the NCAA didn't even bother to conduct its own investigation; all the sanctions are based on work product from PSU's own investigation. I think I can tell you how Alabama's internal investigation is going to go.

USC's sanctions are over after this season. They serious talent (and potential talent) on that roster. Any decent coach should be able to make this team into a 8 win team next year and the recruits will still come. But ifSC hires the wrong guy and the Trojans put up another mediocre year, it could be many years before they get back to prominence with the rise of UCLA and the continued dominance of Stanfurd.

At least one more year of restricted scholarships isn't it?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

William and Mary almost beat WV. You guys can take 'em.

What pisses me off is I wanted to go to the game (its a nice drive) but I have this damn GMAT to study for. Oh well, I'm still going to 'Bama.

so the NCAA will probably be as impotent as they have been with Miami.

The Miami situation was a little different...

Even in January, I doubt the most coveted guys are going to be beating down USC's door with two more years of sanctions in place.

But ifSC hires the wrong guy and the Trojans put up another mediocre year, it could be many years before they get back to prominence with the rise of UCLA and the continued dominance of Stanfurd.

Are you guys kidding me? USC is, depending how you want to look at it, the greatest or second greatest college football program ever. It is in So Cal. There is more talent in California than anywhere else. The best recruits want to go to USC. The administration and donors will do anything for the program. It is in So Cal. Did I mention it is in So Cal?

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you guys kidding me? USC is, depending how you want to look at it, the greatest or second greatest college football program ever. It is in So Cal. There is more talent in California than anywhere else. The best recruits want to go to USC. The administration and donors will do anything for the program. It is in So Cal. Did I mention it is in So Cal?

Maybe your right. I just remember how hard it was for SC to find the right guy after the sanctions in the early 80's.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, they are not the greatest or even second greatest program ever. Also, quit projecting your love of Southern California (in the geographic sense - not the school) on all the high school recruits.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, they are not the greatest or even second greatest program ever. Also, quit projecting your love of Southern California (in the geographic sense - not the school) on all the high school recruits.

Well I was referring more toward as a coach, but I would imagine a 17-year-old kid would find the allure of SoCal hard to resist too. But anyway, let's look at some numbers...

11 National Championships, five Heisman Trophy winners. three Maxwell Awards, six Walter Camp awards, 484 draft picks... The only "schools" that can come close to those numbers are Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and the Ivies.

'Bama has more NCs but around 170 fewer drafted players, one Heisman, no Camp or Maxwell winners. Still going to say they're the greatest overall though.

Dame has more Maxwells, Camps, Heismans, same number of NCs and fewer drafts.

Michigan, same number of NCs, fewer award winners in every category and fewer draftees.

Ohio State, seven NCs, four Camps, four Maxwells seven Heismans.

USC has the fewest wins, but all their winning percentages are very similar. So let's be extremely critical. They're maybe the fifth-best program of all time. What a ****** coaching situation.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buckeyes will have eight Heismans after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads