• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer, Calcio, Voetball, Fútbol, Futebo

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RVP goal wasn't that spectacular, to be honest. It was far too easy. Spain's defense just blackouted. Sure, the finishing looked nice, but the cross shouldn't even have been possible.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Croatia's GK was definitely more responsible for the loss than Iker.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do wonder though how many heads w/in Barça and Madrid's organizations are now considering offloading aging stars this summer (particularly adequate after the Spanish squad's massive valuation reported this morning). Xabi and Iker may not be so intergal to Madrid's spine anymore. I would think Piqué, and Alba should watch their backs too.

Reinvent that Spanish midfield and go 4-3-3:

Juan Mata - Whomever (but not Torres) - Silva/Navas/Pedro
Koke - Busquets - Fábregas
Alba - Ramos - Javi Martinez - Carvajal
Casillas

I realize Navas isn't available this tourney, and Azpilicueta is in there instead of Carvajal, but I think that wheelspin is due no matter how far Spain continue on in this WC. This is just analyzing how I'd look to line up Spain in the immediate future anyways. If VdB stays on and plays w/ his False9 concept more, let Isco have a go in that top spot. Would also get Iñigo Martinez in from Sociedad, and use Javi as a doblepivote along w/ Busquets if VdB continues in that vein.

Also, if I am blinded by Madridista-ness, may be time to put De Gea in between the sticks.

EDIT: Completely glossed over Iniesta, who, while silent this game, is still a game changer. Should still be in there above^^

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Wow, couple of near misses on potential Aussie equalizers ...

... and then about a near a miss as you can have going the other way.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go Aussies!

It's funny how some random refs from Côte d'Ivoire are by far, so far, the best refs of this WC.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last time I checked Chile is in South America. but they are playing texbook African soccer.

Go up two goals.

find every possible way to blow that lead.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yup. We are definitely on Styleforum. 

Happy now?

As I've said, it was nice to look at. I expect the cross to land when theres such a gigantous gap in Spain's defense. And yeah, RVP will likely score. Though he himself looked a bit surprised that he actually scored (watch the replay).

rms340

Reaction score
I don't know how we can dismiss that goal as anything but spectacular. The well timed run, with a perfect long ball (that was practically at midfield), and RVP with just the right touch and weight to get over Casillas.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but at the end of it all, croatia had 90 minutes and didn't find the back of the net on their own. yeah score line flattered hosts and the penalty should never have been but that's the secondary debate in my opinion.

Exactly!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I seem to recall that Netherlands are known for fast starts in the WC then fading. They looked beatable until Spain collapsed.

I think you mean EC 2008, when we beat France and Italy in the first matches.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a RM fan and an Iker supporter, I just can`t believe all the **** ups he`s been involved in such a short time. In the CL final it was partly because of him that Atletico scored. Today he gave 1 away and then also kinda embarrased himself in the last one, coming out too early when there were defenders on Robben (even if Robben had outrun them easily).

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if it would make sense to use some version of goal line technology to review whether a player was undoubtedly offsides. not for every call obviously, but maybe just the ones that nullify goals scored...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics