• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2013 Kopping Retrospective / 2014 Kopping Plans

mbaum

Reaction score
Over the next few months I was heavily influence by Classic menswear, and started dressing far to old at Uni and just in general, looked like a dickhead to be honest. I purchased a bunch of Epaulet chinos, some OCBDs and gingham's and wore them everywhere. I also purchased some Grenson Dylans in tan, Black Grenson Sids, Brown Suede Herring brogues.
One GREAT purchase, but that I am getting rid of was my Apolis Wool Chore Coat, which I wore with this. Still a KILLER coat.

But boy did I look like a dickhead. Felt great at the time, wish I could go back and ***** slap some sense into my self though. The main reason I wore outfits like that was mainly due to wanting to separate myself from what I had known kids my age to wear, snap backs etc. Google swag and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. I am living at home which meant I had a huge disposable income from working heaps and having literally zero bills. This was a bad thing, as I bought a lot of crap and dressed completely the wrong way. The one good thing that did come of this was that in April, I purchase a TOJ 0. It rolled around in September. I was so happy with it, and still love it. This is where my mindset started to change, and I started to adopt a more casual approach, wearing tshirts and black chinos with sneakers etc. I also purchased some common projects along the way, that in effort to wear more of them, also forced me to wear more casual outfits. I always thought looking good and doing casual would be impossible, but I'm happy I've been proven wrong. I sold a lot of things, and am still in the process of getting rid of things.

No idea why you think that this fit looks like a "dickhead" fit. Looks good to me and I love Apolis.

Mike

Last edited:

jmaudi0

Reaction score
2013 was a pretty good year for me. I really slimmed down my wardrobe and got rid of a ton of older clothes that didn't get worn much. I pretty much have developed my sense style at this point and although it's nothing flashy, I'm super comfortable with it. I came to Styleforum initially in search of raw denim info (as I'm sure many people do). I love keeping an eye on the WAYWT thread but I don't bother with fit pics bc the majority of what I wear is simple - jeans, chinos, button downs, sweaters, tees, etc. but all of good quality - and most importantly to me especially this past year, I try to buy US made goods as much as possible. I'm a strong supporter of small businesses and try to keep my clothing purchases following suit when possible.

Top Purchases of 2013:

Oak Street Bootmakers Natural CXL Captoe Trench Boots - I have been living in these things all fall/winter. I feel like a sturdy pair of boots should be a staple of every guys wardrobe and these fit the bill perfectly. They work dressed up (to a certain extent of course) and in casual wear. Love them. I'll be rocking these for a looooooooong time. Looking forward to grabbing OSB boat shoes this summer.

3sixteen Shadow Selvedge denim - technically I bought these in 2012 but they didn't get much wear until this year so I'm including them anyway. I got rid of all my other jeans (except NF pomegranate selvedge) so I pretty much live in these when the weather is cool. Holding up great, fading is coming along nicely. I love them. Probably will give them their first wash soon. definitely a class above the NF denim but those jeans are great as well. No complaints either way. (same jeans above)

TOJ A2 Brown Lamb Bomber - ordered an A2 in June, got it in early October just when the weather got cool enough to wear it...couldn't have worked out better. I got a perfect fit on my first try so I'm ecstatic. I've gotten more compliments on this jacket than any other piece of clothing I've ever owned.

Wolf Vs Goat clothing - I joined up as a loyalty member with WvG this year and it turned out to be a great investment. I have 3 overdye oxfords, 2 other button downs, a few henleys, a tee, a sweatshirt, 2 chinos...all great quality and made in the US. Mauro is awesome to work with. Love everything WvG does...now I just need to make a trip to meet Mauro and see everything in person. I'm about an hour away from him. (kickass blue overdye in the pic above)

SNS Herning - 2 Stark cardigans and a V-neck sweater. Dark Green melange stark (with some blue...I don't remember the name but I think it's from 2 seasons ago) - I bought this one from a user here on SF and it's awesome. I love it so much I bought a Triple Grey stark this season but I'm willing to part with it for another SNS sweater. If I keep it, no harm done. Starks are awesome...my only nitpick is the collar is just a little too high and over the course of a day of wear the collar tends to flop out to the side a bit much...looks kinda funny to me but doesn't stop me from wearing them at all. I grabbed the V-neck sweater off a sale somebody posted in the Sales Alert thread here. I think something like $180 on sale for $30 if I remember right. Couldn't pass that up! (really old pic but you get the idea)

Nike - Flyknit lunar kicks and AW77 sweatpants. The sweats are great for lounging. I needed sweats with ankle grabbers and these fit the bill perfectly. The flyknits are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and they have held up well. I wear them running and to the gym several times a week since June or July and they are going strong.

It's safe to say that almost everyday I'm wearing some combo of the above. Especially this time of year. Simple wardrobe...no flashy designers...just well made proper fitting clothes. I'm easy.

In 2014:

I have my first shirt from Epaulet coming in the mail today hopefully so I'm looking forward to checking out more of what they offer. WvG and Epaulet will become the basis of my wardrobe I'm thinking. Those 2 companies can cover my style perfectly.

I need to up my CM game a bit but my office is casual so I don't need much. I'm getting married in October so I'll be looking to get a suit made for that. Will def go through either EP or WvG.

Also think I'll probably grab a LBM 1911 jacket at some point this year and a few wool trousers.

If TOJ sticks around I'll grab a BCDR in some sort of tan or whiskey colorway. I was between that and the A2 when I placed my first order...still really want a BCDR but I'm holding off for now.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

2013 was a pretty good year for me. I really slimmed down my wardrobe and got rid of a ton of older clothes that didn't get worn much. I pretty much have developed my sense style at this point and although it's nothing flashy, I'm super comfortable with it. I came to Styleforum initially in search of raw denim info (as I'm sure many people do). I love keeping an eye on the WAYWT thread but I don't bother with fit pics bc the majority of what I wear is simple - jeans, chinos, button downs, sweaters, tees, etc. but all of good quality - and most importantly to me especially this past year, I try to buy US made goods as much as possible. I'm a strong supporter of small businesses and try to keep my clothing purchases following suit when possible. Top Purchases of 2013: Oak Street Bootmakers Natural CXL Captoe Trench Boots - I have been living in these things all fall/winter. I feel like a sturdy pair of boots should be a staple of every guys wardrobe and these fit the bill perfectly. They work dressed up (to a certain extent of course) and in casual wear. Love them. I'll be rocking these for a looooooooong time. Looking forward to grabbing OSB boat shoes this summer. 3sixteen Shadow Selvedge denim - technically I bought these in 2012 but they didn't get much wear until this year so I'm including them anyway. I got rid of all my other jeans (except NF pomegranate selvedge) so I pretty much live in these when the weather is cool. Holding up great, fading is coming along nicely. I love them. Probably will give them their first wash soon. definitely a class above the NF denim but those jeans are great as well. No complaints either way. (same jeans above) TOJ A2 Brown Lamb Bomber - ordered an A2 in June, got it in early October just when the weather got cool enough to wear it...couldn't have worked out better. I got a perfect fit on my first try so I'm ecstatic. I've gotten more compliments on this jacket than any other piece of clothing I've ever owned. Wolf Vs Goat clothing - I joined up as a loyalty member with WvG this year and it turned out to be a great investment. I have 3 overdye oxfords, 2 other button downs, a few henleys, a tee, a sweatshirt, 2 chinos...all great quality and made in the US. Mauro is awesome to work with. Love everything WvG does...now I just need to make a trip to meet Mauro and see everything in person. I'm about an hour away from him. (kickass blue overdye in the pic above) SNS Herning - 2 Stark cardigans and a V-neck sweater. Dark Green melange stark (with some blue...I don't remember the name but I think it's from 2 seasons ago) - I bought this one from a user here on SF and it's awesome. I love it so much I bought a Triple Grey stark this season but I'm willing to part with it for another SNS sweater. If I keep it, no harm done. Starks are awesome...my only nitpick is the collar is just a little too high and over the course of a day of wear the collar tends to flop out to the side a bit much...looks kinda funny to me but doesn't stop me from wearing them at all. I grabbed the V-neck sweater off a sale somebody posted in the Sales Alert thread here. I think something like $180 on sale for $30 if I remember right. Couldn't pass that up! (really old pic but you get the idea) Nike - Flyknit lunar kicks and AW77 sweatpants. The sweats are great for lounging. I needed sweats with ankle grabbers and these fit the bill perfectly. The flyknits are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and they have held up well. I wear them running and to the gym several times a week since June or July and they are going strong. It's safe to say that almost everyday I'm wearing some combo of the above. Especially this time of year. Simple wardrobe...no flashy designers...just well made proper fitting clothes. I'm easy. In 2014: I have my first shirt from Epaulet coming in the mail today hopefully so I'm looking forward to checking out more of what they offer. WvG and Epaulet will become the basis of my wardrobe I'm thinking. Those 2 companies can cover my style perfectly. I need to up my CM game a bit but my office is casual so I don't need much. I'm getting married in October so I'll be looking to get a suit made for that. Will def go through either EP or WvG. Also think I'll probably grab a LBM 1911 jacket at some point this year and a few wool trousers. If TOJ sticks around I'll grab a BCDR in some sort of tan or whiskey colorway. I was between that and the A2 when I placed my first order...still really want a BCDR but I'm holding off for now.
I trimmed down my wardrobe a lot last year, although it's not perfect yet.. So far in 2014, I've ordered 2 shirts and I'm going hunting on Tuesday for a ring.. If I didn't have a no new jeans resolution I'd have bought jeans as well.. I was hoping for more boots and a new biker, but I'll have to see how the year pans out. If I clear a credit card off in my minimalist year, then it'll have been worth it. Big clear out and restock planned for the end of the year.....time flies!!!:)

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2013 was pretty much more of the same, more Robert Geller, which I love, more expensive Boots / Shoes and heaps of nice T's.

Also I've lost heaps of weight, so cleared out everything I don't really wear. I've had to get rid of some nice knits, but I'm not a hoarder so if I don't wear it, it goes.

-Buttero Sidezips x 2
-Geller Black Canvas Zip Blazer
-Geller Khaki Tencel Cadet Bomber
-Geller Jeans x 4
-Geller Black Flight Pants / Shorts
-ToJ Black Lamb MA-1

I might kop some more nice sneakers too

I'm undecided about those haha

fistinyoface

Reaction score
Lose foot weight and sell me your carpe's tia.
mwink[1].gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha neverrrr

I still want a pair of the Workboots in size 45

fistinyoface

Reaction score
We'll have better luck hunting down unicorns to carry us to a pot of rainbow's gold.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah they show up from time to time

Have faith

Gotta pray brother, you gotta pray

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can people please, please, please use spoilers and stop reposting entire long posts with (useless) one line replies... it really ruins threads.

Last edited:

SmileForum

Reaction score
I never really have a bad buy as I do quite some extensive research, and then decide over a few weeks to months whether I'll make the purchase or not, sales help too.

2013 Good purchases

TOJ 4zip Motto
Converse all stars white low top - summer casual shoes
Church's chelsea boots
Uniqlo heat tech shirts
Converse all stars black high top - fall shoes for every other day
Buttero side zips
Alden Black Indy boots
Dents Harris Tweed/Deer Skin leather/cashmere gloves
Margiela navy overcoat
Begg and Co. plain derby grey scarf

The one underwhelming purchase, but still happy I bought it
VOIDTHEBRAND crinkled beanie - I don't know if its meant to be the way it is, but for $48 dollars, I really expected better quality, a beanie picked up at the dollar store is made better than this thing. The beanie was so flimsy and the stitching holding onto the two layers were starting to come detached after simply trying the beanie on delicately. So much for Made in the U.S.A.

2014 Wish list

Maybe three or four more pima tshirts in black,white, and navy from Uniqlo
Some more uniqlo airism shirts
White jack purcells
Navy blue Converse all stars
What ever catches my attention from S.E.H. Kelly
A cool jacket from Arc'teryx Veilance
Maybe the new black Seque tote from Arc'teryx Veilance - available at Barneys for preorders as I type this
PBJ NC Black and Indigo jeans
Possibly a pair of Heschung black Panax boots if they'll be available
Dents black leather gloves line in rabbit fur/cashmere
A new bag, hopefully Mismo will come out with one that isn't in some ridiculous color/fabric choice
Knits from Inis Mein and SNS Herning
MMM Side zips in black
A drawing tablet?

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I trimmed down my wardrobe a lot last year, although it's not perfect yet..

So far in 2014, I've ordered 2 shirts and I'm going hunting on Tuesday for a ring..

If I didn't have a no new jeans resolution I'd have bought jeans as well..

I was hoping for more boots and a new biker, but I'll have to see how the year pans out.

If I clear a credit card off in my minimalist year, then it'll have been worth it.

Big clear out and restock planned for the end of the year.....time flies!!!:)

To be honest, although I trimmed down, I spent a fortune on what I Did buy in 2013, not all of it perfect

Going shopping/Kopping today (Tuesday)....hoping for a couple of inexpensive shirts (TMLewin) to balance out the cost of the 2 bespoke ones I've ordered and also hoping to trade 3 old rings towards a gorgeous second hand one I found online.

Spending the rest of the year paying off one of my credit cards so that I can complete my wishlist with a clearer conscience next year (ex partner left me with a large pile of credit cards and overdraft to pay off, plus I still shop!):D

Once all that's done I'll start writing next years list as an incentive to pay off a card with high interest..

TheObserver

Reaction score
I purchase no more than 5 pieces each season. So basically 10 pieces per year. Basics stuffs tee shirt, OCBD, flannel, raw denim, beater sneakers don't count. Accesories don't count either unless they cost more than normal (e.g. wallet)

FW13
- Bee Cardigan
- Ervell field coat
- SLP wallet
- TOJ BCDR

Bad purchase
- Buttero sidezip - great boots, but not for me.

SS14 plan
- SS knit, gonna be pullover this time
- Waterproof outerwear. Perhaps W+H or Ervell
- Paul Smith Cesar cap toe boots if they are still there at 50% off

and many more, can't say for now

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I purchase no more than 5 pieces each season. So basically 10 pieces per year. Basics stuffs tee shirt, OCBD, flannel, raw denim, beater sneakers don't count. Accesories don't count either unless they cost more than normal (e.g. wallet)

FW13
- Bee Cardigan 

- Ervell field coat
- SLP wallet  
- TOJ BCDR 

Bad purchase
- Buttero sidezip - great boots, but not for me. 

SS14 plan
- SS knit, gonna be pullover this time
- Waterproof outerwear. Perhaps W+H or Ervell 
- Paul Smith Cesar cap toe boots if they are still there at 50% off

and many more, can't say for now

Looking forward to seeing kopped outcomes...

Hope today is my first shopping day of 2014!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads