1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Kopping Retrospective / 2014 Kopping Plans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cyc wid it, Dec 30, 2013.

1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So Viberg Scouts or Oak Street Trench?

2. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

2013 was the year were I completely replaced my entire wardrobe with a focus on basics. And it was the year I discovered Styleforum. Big thank you, as you guys have been a great source and inspiration. And, damn you, you got me into EG.

The basics - I am a simple guy:
    • UNIS/ Taylor Stitch/ Leftfield chinos
    • SNS Stark (Yes, I wear them in LA)
    • General Quarter shirts
    • Apolis chambray blazers (They are my neighbors in LA)
    • Norse Project stuff
    • Wolverine, Alden boots, a few Alden LWBs

EG … and then some:
    • SS13 Penn
    • Flannel Lafayette
    • Herringbone Baker from AW10?
    • Fatigue pants
    • Most wear: SS13 Beach Jacket
    • Most beautiful: Reversible vest, grey wool and b/w flower lining

Favorite finds:
    • Officine Generale slubby shirts
    • Anonymous Ism socks
    • orSlow wool CPO
    • Arpenteur and French Trotters blazers
    • Strike Gold slubby selvedge
    • New Balance x Norse

Disappointments:
    • EG work shirt/ blue heather cotton. so beautiful and just won't fit. Buy it from me
    • Our Legacy shirts
    • EG Herringbone Bedford
    • Barena - Fantastic but nothing fits

2014 focus - Buy less, get into new stuff:
    • Visvim
    • Barena (Hope)
    • More EG (Dots and colors), Kolor, Kapital, maybe, just maybe, some Schneider
    • MTM suits and shirts
    • 1965 Alfa Sprint Speciale

Happy New Year!

Mike

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    5 people like this.
  3. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I made a trillion mistakes in 2013, costing me thousands of £££, but my best, although tear wateringly expensive were my mid black box ankle boots [ATTACHMENT=8118]image.jpg (1,052k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]midnight navy made to measure biker jacket boots[ATTACHMENT=8117]image.jpg (720k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Hopefully I'll start my 2014 shopping today, and make less mistakes than last year - I'm still paying the bills from last years disasters!!

Good idea for a thread:)

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:care to explain the diaster so SF posters can avoid such purchases?

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Bump, in hope the thread gets a bit more traffic and participation

6. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Don't ask.....

Have just ordered 2 Italian shirts and hope to buy a diamond ring next week.,

Bump!:)

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

2013 was first of all a year of shirts for me - whether some very nice 2nd hand Ervel and Folk courtesy of B&S here, or Sugarcane and Burgus (house brand of Hinoya denim in Tokyo), or Maker's Shirt (Kamakura). Second, it was as year of Nigel Cabourn and EG - got myself several nice pieces (Andover jacket, wool pants etc.) all second-hand either from B&S or from the Rugged Museum in Tokyo. I also enjoyed breaking out the more flowy modern updates of traditional Japanese piece from Sou-Sou to help me survive in the hot Tokyo summer. Edit: oh, and Chup socks. They're the best.

In 2014, I've already fulfilled one goal by getting a nice pair of black workboots from Slow Wear Lion. I will make sure I get a couple of pairs of decent jeans (Sugarcane, ONI or Momotaro are the ones I like most), some interesting sneaks and something insane from Kapital - I am looking at some patched long coats - and/or ts(s) before I leave Japan in April. Afterwards, I'll be concentrating more on CM for a while (and mainly on bespoke commissions - although one of these will be for a very much non-CM asymmetric tweed jacket...). I've got more than enough SW&D stuff for my needs and I'm quite happy. I will also be clearing out a lot of older, lower-quality stuff, both SW&D and CM.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

So you've started shopping as well!

I've ordered 2 shirts but no idea when they'll arrive as both are bespoke, and I'm desperately fighting an urge for new jeans!
    Helps that I'm so small that not many fit me, but where there's a will there's a way!
    I always go over my budget anyway!

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Great thread. Here's my post.

2013 was the year I first got really into fashion/style/whatever. I first started to care somewhat about my style midway through 2012 which was my final year of high school after getting dumped. I bought a few random things of Asos but that's about it. I think this was my first fit pick. My biggest and best purchase of 2012 was in September was when I bought my indigo nudie jeans.
    [​IMG]

This is pretty much as far as I went through 2012. I bought a pair of Meermin's a size and a half two big too, but dealt with it and wore them to my end of year valedictory.

Then 2013 rolled around, I started my course in Computer Science, and more relevant to this thread, I started my interest in clothes. I bought a few shirts on the Mr Porter sale. I wore this APC shirt quite a bit.

[​IMG]

Over the next few months I was heavily influence by Classic menswear, and started dressing far to old at Uni and just in general, looked like a dickhead to be honest. I purchased a bunch of Epaulet chinos, some OCBDs and gingham's and wore them everywhere. I also purchased some Grenson Dylans in tan, Black Grenson Sids, Brown Suede Herring brogues.
    One GREAT purchase, but that I am getting rid of was my Apolis Wool Chore Coat, which I wore with this. Still a KILLER coat.
    [​IMG]

But boy did I look like a dickhead. Felt great at the time, wish I could go back and bitch slap some sense into my self though. The main reason I wore outfits like that was mainly due to wanting to separate myself from what I had known kids my age to wear, snap backs etc. Google swag and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. I am living at home which meant I had a huge disposable income from working heaps and having literally zero bills. This was a bad thing, as I bought a lot of crap and dressed completely the wrong way. The one good thing that did come of this was that in April, I purchase a TOJ 0. It rolled around in September. I was so happy with it, and still love it. This is where my mindset started to change, and I started to adopt a more casual approach, wearing tshirts and black chinos with sneakers etc. I also purchased some common projects along the way, that in effort to wear more of them, also forced me to wear more casual outfits. I always thought looking good and doing casual would be impossible, but I'm happy I've been proven wrong. I sold a lot of things, and am still in the process of getting rid of things.

At around the start of October, I finally had a realisation that I was being a dickhead, and decided to sell most of my stuff. I did though, order a suit from my local MTM guy, Oscar Hunt, as I have my brothers wedding coming up in a weeks time actually. That was possibly my best purchase of the year. In November I also ordered a TOJ MA-1 and Minimalist Double Rider. Quite excited for those two.

Another major problem I faced this year was buying my shoes online in the wrong size. I bit the bullet, saved my pennies and went to Henry Bucks, my local menswear store and shelled out top dollar for a pair of Church Double Monks, which will go great with my suit, and have helped me get the right size for other purchases.

Over the last few months my wardrobe has become much more coherent. But over the last few weeks I have decided to minimalise a lot of my things down and get rid of the clothes I barely wear. The only things I wish to buy is a new backpack for uni as I have a light brown one which clashes with my mainly black and white clothing, a pair of Chelsea boots and a reigning champ crew. Then I plan on having a no purchase period for 3 - 4 months, if of which I can do, I will get a Patch Pocket charcoal Harris Tweed blazer through Oscar Hunt, inspired by Margaret Howell's blazers.

These are the kind of outfits I generally wear today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of 2013, I learnt three very important lessons.

1. Take things slow, I could have spent the money I wasted on a lovely overseas holiday or a decent chunk of savings.
    2. Dress your fucking age and don't be an idiot.
    3. Go MTM for things that you can. Get a tailor to make you a perfectly fitted shirt and chinos, then send them to luxire to copy. Not only is this often cheaper than buying OTR, with the perfect fit, you can also have all the options you want, like button adjusters on your trousers, which I love. Gosh I love luxire.

My goal for my wardrobe is it do have a very minimalist wardrobe, and besides basics such as pants and tshirts, is too have EVERY piece in it, a piece that I love 100%, almost a wardrobe full of grails.

Thankyou very much for taking the time to read my post.

5 people like this.
  10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Great post and transformation, [@]Foxhound[@]

11. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

No idea why you think that this fit looks like a "dickhead" fit. Looks good to me and I love Apolis.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

2013 was a pretty good year for me. I really slimmed down my wardrobe and got rid of a ton of older clothes that didn't get worn much. I pretty much have developed my sense style at this point and although it's nothing flashy, I'm super comfortable with it. I came to Styleforum initially in search of raw denim info (as I'm sure many people do). I love keeping an eye on the WAYWT thread but I don't bother with fit pics bc the majority of what I wear is simple - jeans, chinos, button downs, sweaters, tees, etc. but all of good quality - and most importantly to me especially this past year, I try to buy US made goods as much as possible. I'm a strong supporter of small businesses and try to keep my clothing purchases following suit when possible.

Top Purchases of 2013:

Oak Street Bootmakers Natural CXL Captoe Trench Boots - I have been living in these things all fall/winter. I feel like a sturdy pair of boots should be a staple of every guys wardrobe and these fit the bill perfectly. They work dressed up (to a certain extent of course) and in casual wear. Love them. I'll be rocking these for a looooooooong time. Looking forward to grabbing OSB boat shoes this summer.[​IMG]

3sixteen Shadow Selvedge denim - technically I bought these in 2012 but they didn't get much wear until this year so I'm including them anyway. I got rid of all my other jeans (except NF pomegranate selvedge) so I pretty much live in these when the weather is cool. Holding up great, fading is coming along nicely. I love them. Probably will give them their first wash soon. definitely a class above the NF denim but those jeans are great as well. No complaints either way. (same jeans above)

TOJ A2 Brown Lamb Bomber - ordered an A2 in June, got it in early October just when the weather got cool enough to wear it...couldn't have worked out better. I got a perfect fit on my first try so I'm ecstatic. I've gotten more compliments on this jacket than any other piece of clothing I've ever owned. [​IMG]

Wolf Vs Goat clothing - I joined up as a loyalty member with WvG this year and it turned out to be a great investment. I have 3 overdye oxfords, 2 other button downs, a few henleys, a tee, a sweatshirt, 2 chinos...all great quality and made in the US. Mauro is awesome to work with. Love everything WvG does...now I just need to make a trip to meet Mauro and see everything in person. I'm about an hour away from him. (kickass blue overdye in the pic above)

SNS Herning - 2 Stark cardigans and a V-neck sweater. Dark Green melange stark (with some blue...I don't remember the name but I think it's from 2 seasons ago) - I bought this one from a user here on SF and it's awesome. I love it so much I bought a Triple Grey stark this season but I'm willing to part with it for another SNS sweater. If I keep it, no harm done. Starks are awesome...my only nitpick is the collar is just a little too high and over the course of a day of wear the collar tends to flop out to the side a bit much...looks kinda funny to me but doesn't stop me from wearing them at all. I grabbed the V-neck sweater off a sale somebody posted in the Sales Alert thread here. I think something like $180 on sale for $30 if I remember right. Couldn't pass that up! [​IMG](really old pic but you get the idea)

Nike - Flyknit lunar kicks and AW77 sweatpants. The sweats are great for lounging. I needed sweats with ankle grabbers and these fit the bill perfectly. The flyknits are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and they have held up well. I wear them running and to the gym several times a week since June or July and they are going strong.

It's safe to say that almost everyday I'm wearing some combo of the above. Especially this time of year. Simple wardrobe...no flashy designers...just well made proper fitting clothes. I'm easy.

In 2014:

I have my first shirt from Epaulet coming in the mail today hopefully so I'm looking forward to checking out more of what they offer. WvG and Epaulet will become the basis of my wardrobe I'm thinking. Those 2 companies can cover my style perfectly.

I need to up my CM game a bit but my office is casual so I don't need much. I'm getting married in October so I'll be looking to get a suit made for that. Will def go through either EP or WvG.

Also think I'll probably grab a LBM 1911 jacket at some point this year and a few wool trousers.

If TOJ sticks around I'll grab a BCDR in some sort of tan or whiskey colorway. I was between that and the A2 when I placed my first order...still really want a BCDR but I'm holding off for now.

13. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I trimmed down my wardrobe a lot last year, although it's not perfect yet.. So far in 2014, I've ordered 2 shirts and I'm going hunting on Tuesday for a ring.. If I didn't have a no new jeans resolution I'd have bought jeans as well.. I was hoping for more boots and a new biker, but I'll have to see how the year pans out. If I clear a credit card off in my minimalist year, then it'll have been worth it. Big clear out and restock planned for the end of the year.....time flies!!!:)

14. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Thankyou!

I was wearing this to uni, looked like a dickhead.

15. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I like it,,not like a dickhead at all!:)

16. Razele

Razele Senior member

2013 was pretty much more of the same, more Robert Geller, which I love, more expensive Boots / Shoes and heaps of nice T's.

Also I've lost heaps of weight, so cleared out everything I don't really wear. I've had to get rid of some nice knits, but I'm not a hoarder so if I don't wear it, it goes.

-Buttero Sidezips x 2
    -Geller Black Canvas Zip Blazer
    -Geller Khaki Tencel Cadet Bomber
    -Geller Jeans x 4
    -Geller Black Flight Pants / Shorts
    -ToJ Black Lamb MA-1

I might kop some more nice sneakers too

I'm undecided about those haha

1 person likes this.
  17. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

Lose foot weight and sell me your carpe's tia. [​IMG]

18. Razele

Razele Senior member

Hahaha neverrrr

I still want a pair of the Workboots in size 45

1 person likes this.
  19. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

We'll have better luck hunting down unicorns to carry us to a pot of rainbow's gold.

20. Razele

Razele Senior member

Nah they show up from time to time

Have faith

Gotta pray brother, you gotta pray