• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2013 Academy Award Nominations

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bloody hell, fellows.

Work that is seamless or isn't noticed is the price of admission for a technician at this level. They can all do it. Making you feel something is what separates the winners from the "it's an honour just to be nominateds".

Ed, bet on whatever Weinstein is promoting. Marketers are the only ones that can truly affect the 6000 strong voting block. A great emotional back story from an actor can also do it. So can the opportunity to right a wrong.

Failing that, trust your gut. Remember in Hollywood "nobody knows anything" when it comes to predicting the success of a movie.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lefty - what are your thoughts on the VFX protests and the poor VFX oscar winner getting his ******* mic cut off mid speech? Odd tidbit I learned while reading about this: VFX - no unions. Graphics artists - union. But graphics artists are considered VFX guys. WTF?

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Did a movie ever get best picture without the director even getting nominated? That's really weird, Ben must have upset someone for that to happen...his speech was emotional and both the comment about marriage and grudges makes me think there is a lot behind the scenes. But it's movies and actors so won't lose sleep.

Daniel Day is a great actor but was Lincoln performance that great? Same with Spielberg?..one should have won for gangs and the other for saving private Ryan.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Waltz :slayer:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed Argo a lot, but imo SLP was better. Jennifer Lawrence deserved hers and Cooper, De Niro and Jacki Weaver had strong (or unbeatable, as in Waltz) contestants. Overall a fantastic cast (although I still think Tucker's casting was a little odd, it somehow worked). Still have to see Lincoln and Les Misérables.

Last edited:

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SLP ended in a dance contest . That should be automatic disqualification from an Oscar.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lefty - what are your thoughts on the VFX protests and the poor VFX oscar winner getting his ******* mic cut off mid speech? Odd tidbit I learned while reading about this: VFX - no unions. Graphics artists - union. But graphics artists are considered VFX guys. WTF?

The guy went a little long so the protest was lost. Would have loved him to start out political. The Jaws music was a bit of an asshole move.

The union thing may change. IATSE met with VFX people last year.

Did a movie ever get best picture without the director even getting nominated? That's really weird, Ben must have upset someone for that to happen...his speech was emotional and both the comment about marriage and grudges makes me think there is a lot behind the scenes. But it's movies and actors so won't lose sleep.

Driving Miss Daisy is the other well known example. There have been 4 or 5 as I remember.

Affleck went through a lot of dark years after GWH. Power to the guy for orchestrating a great turnaround and not becoming a complete asshole.

lefty

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey lefty, this may be very insider and too much to explain so a seven-word sentence would suffice as an answer but... what sort of impact, if any, is there with the AFTRA/SAG merger?

Also, what are your thoughts on the derailment of this thread?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a world I know little about so have no real opinion.

Happy with derailments - how's that trout fishing coming?

lefty

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's a world I know little about so have no real opinion.

Happy with derailments - how's that trout fishing coming? 

lefty

Been getting a TON of rain. Rivers are roaring at the moment, haven't gone. Which is good because we've been running out of water. Our main reservoir is now "only" 4.5 feet below full pool. It was 15 at the start of the year.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Affleck went through a lot of dark years after GWH. Power to the guy for orchestrating a great turnaround and not becoming a complete asshole.

lefty

i have found his recent works, argo, the town and gone baby gone, to be superb. i dont think i hated pearl harbor either, but i dont really remember.

JustChris

Reaction score
The Jennifer Lopez years were not good ones. Luckily, he escaped that morass of tabloid awfulness.

I really admire his subsequent growth and maturation. The fact that he could rebound while seeming to retain some appearance of grounding and decency is impressive.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember seeing him interviewed during those years and his thoughtfulness took me by surprise. "Wait, I thought you were the dumb one?"

lefty

Last edited:

ruzzi

Reaction score
moar gone baby gone and the town please.

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

moar gone baby gone and the town please.

His next movie that he is going to direct is, "Live By Night," which is based off the Dennis Lehane's most recent novel. I read it back in Oct/Nov. It was really good and should make for a really good movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads