1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by lefty, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Seth MacFarlane: meanspirited, yet completely unfunny.

Lame jokes and even worse sense of timing...

The vaguely sociopathic vibe Ive always gotten from Family Guy becomes wholly explicit when seeing this guy in person.

This guy is the antichrist and the continuing popularity of his projects is evidence that Mike Judge's Idiocrity is closer than we think.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

^ It was noticeable how off his timing was. Nerves perhaps. To me SM comes across as a smug asshole.

lefty

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

It's because he IS a smug asshole.

2 people like this.
  4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Seth MacFarlane seems so cynical that I would not expect him to have any close friends, or fall in love. That said, I enjoyed his hosting more than I thought I would because of the awkwardness.

Ben Affleck's comment about his marriage being a lot of work was strange.

As soon as the Ted skit started, I told my fiancee that the ADL would get it's panties in a bunch. Sure enough...

http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/2...ollywood-sketch-from-academy-awards-ceremony/

5. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Mcfarlane was better than previous years hosts, but he did seem a bit awkward and I agree about the timing. Odd pauses and transitioning from one joke to the other. Capt Kirk sorta saved the opening act.

Re Ben affleck´s speech, that was one hell of a mess. He could barely get a word out and it was painfully obvious he was damn mad at the Academy for not getting a Director´s nomination.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

So how do they determine best editing, sound editing and sound mixing? Its so technical that to laymen (or it could just be I'm an idiot) that they're all the same. I know they aren't...

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Each branch nominates within their own category: directors nominate directors, editors nominate editors, etc. They vote for 5 in order of preference and these are used to determine the official nominations in a preferential voting system (look it up). Once that's done every member of the academy votes for a winner in each category.

So to answer your question - professionals nominate the best achievements in their technical category, say cinematography; then amateurs vote for the best cinematography based on, "I thought the colours were pretty."

lefty

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

this is damn well said.
    id like to hope that if i ever that much money, i can hold back from being a smug asshole. -- im just glad walz won. i love that dude.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

lefty, your posts here are both highly informative, and very funny. bravo.

10. edinatlanta

So it is as esoteric as I thought. I can't imagine how one could find superior sound editing. And shouldn't an editor and their work NOT be noticed?

+1 on the lefty love. He's the one poster I have an sf crush on. You know its real because it didn't abate when I learned of his canadianism.

Another question. I imagine that within the academy there are like everywhere else there are factions with their own preferences and biases. Can you say roughly and generally what exists now and if one bloc has significant sway? basically give me some clues so I can make money betting on the Oscars next year.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Bloody hell, fellows.

Work that is seamless or isn't noticed is the price of admission for a technician at this level. They can all do it. Making you feel something is what separates the winners from the "it's an honour just to be nominateds".

Ed, bet on whatever Weinstein is promoting. Marketers are the only ones that can truly affect the 6000 strong voting block. A great emotional back story from an actor can also do it. So can the opportunity to right a wrong.

Failing that, trust your gut. Remember in Hollywood "nobody knows anything" when it comes to predicting the success of a movie.

lefty

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Lefty - what are your thoughts on the VFX protests and the poor VFX oscar winner getting his fucking mic cut off mid speech? Odd tidbit I learned while reading about this: VFX - no unions. Graphics artists - union. But graphics artists are considered VFX guys. WTF?

13. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

Did a movie ever get best picture without the director even getting nominated? That's really weird, Ben must have upset someone for that to happen...his speech was emotional and both the comment about marriage and grudges makes me think there is a lot behind the scenes. But it's movies and actors so won't lose sleep.

Daniel Day is a great actor but was Lincoln performance that great? Same with Spielberg?..one should have won for gangs and the other for saving private Ryan.

14. Schwazer

Schwazer Senior member

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

I enjoyed Argo a lot, but imo SLP was better. Jennifer Lawrence deserved hers and Cooper, De Niro and Jacki Weaver had strong (or unbeatable, as in Waltz) contestants. Overall a fantastic cast (although I still think Tucker's casting was a little odd, it somehow worked). Still have to see Lincoln and Les Misérables.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  16. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

SLP ended in a dance contest . That should be automatic disqualification from an Oscar.

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

The guy went a little long so the protest was lost. Would have loved him to start out political. The Jaws music was a bit of an asshole move.

[​IMG]

The union thing may change. IATSE met with VFX people last year.

Driving Miss Daisy is the other well known example. There have been 4 or 5 as I remember.

Affleck went through a lot of dark years after GWH. Power to the guy for orchestrating a great turnaround and not becoming a complete asshole.

lefty

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  18. edinatlanta

Hey lefty, this may be very insider and too much to explain so a seven-word sentence would suffice as an answer but... what sort of impact, if any, is there with the AFTRA/SAG merger?

Also, what are your thoughts on the derailment of this thread?

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's a world I know little about so have no real opinion.

Happy with derailments - how's that trout fishing coming?

lefty

20. edinatlanta

Been getting a TON of rain. Rivers are roaring at the moment, haven't gone. Which is good because we've been running out of water. Our main reservoir is now "only" 4.5 feet below full pool. It was 15 at the start of the year.