2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrG

MrG Senior member

It sounds like A&M to the SEC is almost certainly going to happen. If it does there'll also be a 14th team, and I'm curious to see who it is.

That said, I'm not convinced it's the best idea.

They are so very, very screwed.

Yahoo's article

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

How are the Dogs lookin' this year?

3. venessian

venessian Senior member

Miami. In the photos in the Yahoo article that booster looks like 1000% Grade-A creep.

[​IMG]

FB, BB coaches and Donna Shalala involved??? That school deserves the SMU death penalty.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm cautiously optimistic.

The QB is experienced, and he's possibly the best in the SEC. This year's recruiting class was huge, and there's a real possibility we'll see some big contributions from a couple guys in it (Crowell being the most important piece). Plus, the defense has had a year in the 3-4, and a couple of recruiting classes to fill it out.

It also helps that the other traditional SEC East powers, UF and UT, are down/rebuilding.

On the other hand, this is, in a lot of ways, still fundamentally the same team that went 6-7 last year, and it lost A.J. Green.

My guess has been that it's either 6-6 or 9-3/10-2 at the end of the season. I don't think there's a seven-or-eight-win middle ground. It's either they suck or they're good.

If I had to bet right now, my money is on this being a resurgence year for the Dawgs. There's a lot of buzz around the program, and if they can find a spark it could be a really special season. That said, putting aside my fandom, I wouldn't be completely shocked if the malaise from the last couple of years continues.

If it's really as extensive as it sounds, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Miami isn't absolutely hammered by the NCAA. I don't know about the death penalty, but it seems they'd get close.

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

Yes of course it all needs to be verified, but I think those Yahoo reports generally are accurate.
    If Shalala knew? She's in one of the photos, standing next to Shapiro, holding a $50,000 check, grinning. That itself doesn't prove anything, but if she's tied to it, a university president of her reputation + the length/extent of the purported violations + the fact the school was recently coming off of previous troubles, etc.... I think the death penalty could definitely be in play.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Oh give me a break. They'll get probation for a few years, elimination from bowl games for the same period of time, and then it'll be back to normal. Its not like this shit doesn't go on at every football powerhouse anyway. And, if Shalala gets fired, all the better. Give Golden a nice clean slate to work with. The program needs a reboot anyway.

7. StephenHero

More 7-5 seasons?

8. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

^ Only if they re-hire Butch Davis. Remember when UMiami fired Larry Coker after multiple nine and ten win seasons? That's the violation they ought to be looking at.

9. StephenHero

Instead of giving out the death penalty, the NCAA should make Miami hire Terry Bowden. The wins will vacate themselves.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Probably 6-6. The only reason the U was great was all the south Florida thugs. Now that they all play for UF, its just not the same.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I'm shocked Shalala was involved. Honestly, I thought she had decided to de-emphasize football at the school and try to clean up its image and focus on academics. I mean, if she was risking her career and reputation to win at all costs, she sure as hell didn't do a very good job. Miami's sucked lately. But why the hell am I giving UM the benefit of the doubt? Worst] fans in college football and now a shitty football team. Can't wait to break Jacory Harris in half this year at Doak. Fuck 'em.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Maybe I missed something - the Yahoo article was long and I did a fair bit of skimming - but I didn't see anything about Shalala being involved. The only reference to her was the fact that she took a big check from the shady Ponzi guy. Yes, she took the check, and yes, it was Ponzi money, but that's not the same as being involved in major NCAA violations. She can't vet every dollar that comes in, and, as a university president (especially a private university), you better damn well grin and say "thank you" when someone gives you $50,000.

I don't doubt that a lot of the stuff with the players and coaches is true, but right now it seems pretty tenuous to connect Shalala to everything.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

All that cheating and the basketball team was awful? Lol. I net a dude who played sports at cincy just before they got the hammer. Told me a story of pure college genius cheating (nothing bad) that they did. Will ahare when at a pc

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

ROFL!!

I, too, would be shocked if Shalala were involved. I always thought the U presidency was just a vacation for her until some bigger position opened up. As the former Secretary of HHS, she has very little to gain if UM football wins big and everything to lose from involvement in NCAA violations.

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

un-fucking-real