2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I can't believe Texas is not rated in the top 25. I can't believe that we will be the underdog against ATM.

They were god awful last year... I saw their game vs UCLA on TV and lol'd, because UCLA football is more punchline than team.

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Texas won't be ranked after this season, either

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I'm surprised that The U made the top 25. I doubt that will last long though.

Yeah, the U's administration (Donna M. Knight Shalala or whatever) has pretty much chosen not to make football success a priority at the institution. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Don't get me wrong, they still have the absolute worst fans in college football, but I don't think it's a bad thing for a program to step back from the spotlight and focus on academics.

4. guster

guster Senior member

Texas won't be ranked after this season, either

They have had some good recruiting years. Granted, College FB recruiting is not an exact science but there is plenty of talent down there isn't there?

5. grundletaint

They have had some good recruiting years. Granted, College FB recruiting is not an exact science but there is plenty of talent down there isn't there?
    I guess.....they really lucked out with Vince young and colt. Lucked out a LOT in that they were highly athletic and could turn shit into shinola. Garrett gilbert was hailed as the second coming of colt (some say better) but he's not a scramblebot and exposed a lot of issues in their offense. I have no idea WTF went wrong with their D. Will be interesting to see if the new coaching staff can turn things around. I think they might be able to do it but it ain't gonna be overnight.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yeah, the U's administration (Donna M. Knight Shalala or whatever) has pretty much chosen not to make football success a priority at the institution. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Don't get me wrong, they still have the absolute worst fans in college football, but I don't think it's a bad thing for a program to step back from the spotlight and focus on academics.
    That's a smart move - make worse the one redeeming quality of the university other than the medical program. Fucking imbeciles.

7. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

That's a smart move - make worse the one redeeming quality of the university other than the medical program. Fucking imbeciles.

UT austin has a great geology program! [​IMG]

8. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Notre Dame will go 10 and 2. There, I said it.

9. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

texas will come back. haters gon' hate.

10. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

Notre Dame won't go 10-2 and Texas won't be back (this year). Lock that in the box and quote me at the end of the season.

Other than Boise and TCU, are there any legitimate shots at an undefeated team (not saying either of them will do it, either, but they're always suggested)? I can't see an SEC, Pac-12, or Big Ten team going full tilt. I don't know if an undefeated team from any of the other conferences would be worth a shit (maybe the ACC).

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Notre Dame will go 10 and 2. There, I said it.

Since we're making ridiculous predictions for next year, Texas Tech will go undefeated and win the BCS national championship, unemployment will drop below 6%, and I'll be a billionaire.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

UT austin has a great geology program! [​IMG]

The law school still ensures you a good job, even though most the grads are assholes.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I can't believe Texas is not rated in the top 25. I can't believe that we will be the underdog against ATM.

The season's still young. Give us time to fumble a few away.

I guess.....they really lucked out with Vince young and colt. Lucked out a LOT in that they were highly athletic and could turn shit into shinola. Garrett gilbert was hailed as the second coming of colt (some say better) but he's not a scramblebot and exposed a lot of issues in their offense. I have no idea WTF went wrong with their D. Will be interesting to see if the new coaching staff can turn things around. I think they might be able to do it but it ain't gonna be overnight.

Texas had a great run of talent beyond those two (Ricky Williams, anyone?) and Gilbert showed a lot of poise in the second half against 'Bama, as a freshman - if he can hit his stride early in the season, they might be a top-10 team again.

BTW: I will NOT be watching the A&M - Texas game this year. We watched it last year and my son was intolerable during the game and inconsolable after. Afterwards, he told me "Wait until Colt McCoy comes back, and then we'll get you!" My son, a chip off the ol' (dumb) block.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

BTW: I am profoundly interested in UH football this year - particularly whether Keenum can return from his knee injury and lead the Cougars again. The defense, unfortunately, will probably hew to their laissez-faire ways of old, so Cougar games will likely again be races: first team to score 50 or more will probably win.

15. grundletaint

Texas had a great run of talent beyond those two (Ricky Williams, anyone?) and Gilbert showed a lot of poise in the second half against 'Bama, as a freshman - if he can hit his stride early in the season, they might be a top-10 team again.

BTW: I will NOT be watching the A&M - Texas game this year. We watched it last year and my son was intolerable during the game and inconsolable after. Afterwards, he told me "Wait until Colt McCoy comes back, and then we'll get you!" My son, a chip off the ol' (dumb) block.

ricky aside, texas wasn't doing that great before VY became starter. they were a ranked team, but not the top 5 team he and colt made them. gilbert did well against bama at times but if you watch that game again, he made a lot of the same bumbling errors he made throughout last season.

there are rumblings around here (austin) about him losing the starter job to mccoy's younger brother, who did better against the #1 D than gilbert did against #2 D in the spring game. there's also pretty much zero buzz about the upcoming season right now. the entire town seems pretty defeated.

to be fair, they tried to switch their entire offensive scheme last season from passing to being more smashmouth and run up the gut. i think they forgot you need runningbacks for that...

it's a talented team that needs an identity and some leadership if they want to be in the conversation again.