1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

yeah, which it was why it was so surprising when he did better than expected. he still threw 4 ints, though. the same kind he threw all last year...

1st season as starters:

mccoy's
    Att Comp\tPct\tYds\t TD\t Int\t Rating\t \t\t \t \t\t
    318\t217\t68.2\t2,570 29 7 161.8\t

gilbert's
    441\t260\t59.0\t2,744 10 17 111.0

i feel like gilbert just doesn't have it... the leadership that is. i think he has it athletically, but if you read his interviews and whatnot, it seems like he's very indecisive about what he wants to do/needs to do.

i'm more interested in mccoy's younger brother.

i think texas will be a top 5 team for years to come. no stats. just feeling.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

You're not - by any chance - going to find yourself in Houston that weekend, are you?

If I am still in the country I fully intend on doing so.

3. edinatlanta

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Every time I see new posts in this thread, I get a little happier.

real talk: FSU's is exponentially better than a fucking banner. http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post...vs-11-michigan

Yeah, i have no idea how this is even close. I guess Michigan's insanely large (both in numbers and girth) fan base has nothing better to do but sit on their asses and vote in this poll. I had never even heard of Michigan's banner until this poll. What the hell is the big deal? It's a banner. Almost every school has one.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Just heard that Ohio State is placing its football team on probation and vacating all the 2010 wins.

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

So this means they still don't have a bowl win against an SEC team, right?

[​IMG]

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Every time I see new posts in this thread, I get a little happier.

Yeah, i have no idea how this is even close. I guess Michigan's insanely large (both in numbers and girth) fan base has nothing better to do but sit on their asses and vote in this poll. I had never even heard of Michigan's banner until this poll. What the hell is the big deal? It's a banner. Almost every school has one.

The warchant is awesome.

8. edinatlanta

Just heard that Ohio State is placing its football team on probation and vacating all the 2010 wins.

such a bullshit "punishment". No one on the team thinks they now have 10 fewer wins under their belt... no one is hurt by it... yet it'll show they "are serious about cleaning up".

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

such a bullshit "punishment". No one on the team thinks they now have 10 fewer wins under their belt... no one is hurt by it... yet it'll show they "are serious about cleaning up".

The NCAA hasn't spoken yet. It could (and probably will) get much, much worse for OSU. This was just a way for them to say they'd done something internally when the NCAA starts considering its punishment.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The NCAA hasn't spoken yet. It could (and probably will) get much, much worse for OSU. This was just a way for them to say they'd done something internally when the NCAA starts considering its punishment.
    I agree, OSU made the move in hopes that the NCAA will take this as a sign that OSU is trying to clean up its own mess. Of course OSU is also hoping the NCAA will now be more lenient in imposing its own penalties against the school.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I just read an article on SI about how OSU is going to let the players keep their Big 10 championship rings, since they'd already been sent out. The first user comment after the article was "...which will all be sold." [​IMG]

12. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I agree, OSU made the move in hopes that the NCAA will take this as a sign that OSU is trying to clean up its own mess. Of course OSU is also hoping the NCAA will now be more lenient in imposing its own penalties against the school.

If anything, I think this joke of a 'punishment' is going to make it worse for them when the NCAA comes calling. Vacating wins is pretty meaningless. College football isn't going to get cleaner until there are financial penalties. How about the Big 10 gives back the BCS money from the Sugar Bowl that they didn't win? Ohio State was an at-large bid, so that money reasonably should have gone to another conference (though I suppose it likely would have gone to Michigan State).

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

:crackup:

I think this is my favorite part of the article:

14. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Wow, didn't see that coming....

15. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Bullshit punishment? For nothing more than selling a bunch of trinkets that belonged the them, OSU has thus far effictively lost perhaps the best coach (and player) in college football. The car "scam" ended up being nothing. There is no doubt in my mind that what these OSU players did occurs regularly at every other top 20 program. Its just that one tatoo shop got caught up in an FBI investigation. Again, in the end the things that have been confirmed against NCAA regs amounts to no more than a few hundred dollars per player involved. What really chaps my ass is ESPiN is all over this, yet Auburn won the NC and a Heisman with a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLAR pay for play scheme, but was absolved because "Cam didnt know about it." Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhtttttt.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Auburn was never even charged with anything regarding Cam. The pay to play allegations came from Mississippi State, and that's what was absolved. If/when evidence comes forward about Auburn, they'll have to deal with it. I doubt it would go away as fast as the Miss St charges.

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

To be honest, I don't think anyone did.

OSU's issue is the lying and deception. The infractions wouldn't have been as destructive to the program if there weren't clear institutional problems on top of them. It's one thing to screw up, but it's another thing entirely to hide your mistakes from the NCAA. There are almost certainly stiffer penalties to come, and they'll likely be justified.

With regard to the Cam Newton thing, no one has been "absolved." Indeed, the NCAA has explicitly stated that the investigation is ongoing.

A recent article discussed this very topic. From the article:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

aTm Board of Regents are meeting to discuss the new Longhorn Network and potential move to the SEC? Any thoughts on this by the aTm former students on this board? I read what's really pissing aTm off is the fact that the LHN is trying to air a conference football game (takes football TV money away from the rest of the conference) and Texas HS football games (gives unfair recruiting advantage).

19. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Nothing tugs more at my heartstrings than this OSU debacle. I love the quote coming out of the transferees, the border is open baby. Players are leaving in droves, warms the heart. Silly land grant school anyway.

20. edinatlanta

Now LSU as well? What's with the NCAA as of late?