2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Stanford needs to step it up

2. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Stanford is not good enough on defence to make it interesting in a NC game, period.

3. Lord-Barrington

I enjoyed watching Boise melt down again this year. I felt their success went to their head pretty rapidly after their win vs. Oklahoma and they've been mostly insufferable ever since.

Just goes tot show the importance of recruiting a reliable kicker.

4. tj100

tj100 Senior member

After tonight, it won't matter. They're not even going to win their division.

Who's the best of the one-loss teams? I think Oklahoma gets the nod (assuming they beat Oklahoma State).

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Andrew Luck is not impressive.

edit: Not impressive at all.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

7. Lord-Barrington

I agree. Bama's defence is top notch but the offence is nothing without Richardson. I think OU is a very good team that had one bad game.

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Stanford just lost too much talent to hang with Oregon. You lose your top two receiving threats, and everyone else needs to play perfect to make up for it. They didn't, game over. I don't think Stanford goes deep enough to overcome that kind of injury setup.

On a somewhat below the radar topic, Florida looks bad this year. They just have no offense. Still a lot of Urban Meyer talent there, but Muschamp and Weiss are just not getting production out of them. Things are looking bright for Georgia in the SEC East.

Assuming OU beats Ok St: OU would have the win over #2 Ok St, but a loss against unranked and crappy TT at home. Ok St would only have the loss to ~#4 OU. No conference championship there to establish a conference winner, so that's no help. Oregon's only loss would be to #1 LSU, and the first game of the season (voters are usually more forgiving of early losses and on the road). Would Oregon get a rematch with LSU (assuming both win out)? Bama/LSU rematch (seems doubtful)? Potential to be a very weird year at this pace.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

9. Lord-Barrington

The receivers were the least of Stanford's problems tonight. Their defence was absolutely horrific. I could have scored a touchdown against those guys.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Yeah, I sort of meant that the D would have needed to play perfectly to give them a chance and that sure as hell didn't happen. Not sure they can beat Oregon period, this is two years in a row.

I had to listen to half the damn game on the radio so I missed a lot of the detail.

11. Lord-Barrington

The detail was basically that they had non-existant defence during all four quarters. It was a pretty poor display by both their front and their secondary.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Its also worth a little perspective on the bsu loss.... tcu is 8-2. Texas tech which ome @ oklahoma is 5-5 and playing like gsu. Nbsu loses by one point to a decent team snd shows why they shouldn't even be in consideration? I know blah nlah blah bsu has a softer schedule overall but cmeon... clearly bsu is still goog.

13. tj100

tj100 Senior member

The issue is that Boise State has played (and beaten) one very good team in Georgia. The other 11 teams they play (including TCU) are 1-18 against BCS Conference opponents this year, the lone win over a pretty bad Washington State team. When you run the table with a schedule like that, you can make the argument that you had no control over the schedule and you can beat anybody. Once you've lost to a middling team (TCU has losses to Baylor and SMU), you don't get a second chance. After you take a loss, your argument goes from: we can beat anybody, to: look at all the great teams we've beaten.

Boise has ONE quality win, which is just not enough to overcome the argument of the one-loss BCS conference schools.

Very different ways they got to their respective records. TTU has five losses, four of which are against teams ranked in the top 25. TCU has played only one game against a top 25 opponent - Boise State.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I saw the first half of the game and wasn't impressed with him at all.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Both baylor and smu are ranked. Look I'm not saying bsu deserves to be in bcs talks. Just that there is so much. Done trying to cheapen bsu's performance and it is more often than not bad, wrong or both. Id still say bsu is one of the ten best teams in the country easy. For a school like bsu if that isn't incredible I don't know what is.