2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Good thing we're playing our cupcake next week. Richt better coach 'em up, it would be tragic to lose to NM-St after beating Florida.

Sucks for Samuel though, he finally has a beast of a game and destroys his ankle on the last play while icing the game. Didn't even get into the endzone for his troubles.
    It really had the feeling of one of those classic UGA games where one phase of the game just colluded to overcome the efforts of the others and steal defeat from the jaws of victory. Those awful punts and Walsh's horrible kicking of late...argh. The whole second half seems like Florida getting the ball at the 50 and then the defense maiming them. Amazing performance by the D, never cracked at all.

Imagine how good this year's team could have been with an easy game or two at the beginning of the year to gel. :fu:

re: the ACC

That type of logic would be used in the SEC to show how deep the conference was, but I think the ACC's bowl record speaks for itself. It's not so much depth as just inconsistent teams. VT is the least inconsistent, and they keep winning ACC Titles and losing bowl games. I don't really see them ever becoming a true top tier team.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I feel for Georgia. They would be a contender every year in the Big 10, and a perennial favorite to win the Big East or ACC. But I think it's going to be a long time before they win another SEC championship.

3. tj100

tj100 Senior member

But if this were the SEC, partisans would be using it to demonstrate how "tough" the conference schedule is, and using it to justify non-conference games against The Citadel...

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah I don't think that proves anything other than that the conference is fairly evenly matched.

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Except that most of those teams don't want to be even with Wake, Duke, NC or Maryland.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

of the ACC schools, Duke, Wake, UVA are consistently awful, you'll get one other bad team in there, sometimes two a season.

Look at the SEC you have Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU that are consistently bad.

Of course the SEC has the teams that are always on top too, whereas the ACC doesn't.

7. tj100

tj100 Senior member

It's all cyclical and the SEC is at the top of its cycle right now.

Look back to 2000, and the current ACC had 3 teams in the top 6, while the best team in the SEC was #10 Florida.

In 1999, the current ACC had #1 and #2 - the SEC had Alabama and Tennessee at 8 and 9.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

True, but it is worth mentioning that in 2000, 66% of those teams were not in the ACC and in 1999, a mere 50% of those teams were in the ACC. also, a 12-year old performance is kind of a poor benchmark for current day play, IMO.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

From here:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/8292/college-football-recap-stanford-survives

Heh. :satisfied:

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I think this is why Texas A&M is a good fit for the SEC - they will almost certainly be perennial also-rans in their new conference but that pressure to win championships is nowhere as prevalent as the Aggie Nation's satisfaction with moral victories and the occasional upset.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Check in with your LSU-Alabama prediction!

Home field + Nick Saban = Bama by 10.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

LSU 17 Bama 14

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

'Bama by a touchdown, but the game won't be as close as the score. I'm not saying 'Bama will dominate, but I think they'll take control relatively early. Basically, I see 'Bama setting the tone of the game, but LSU is good enough to keep the score respectable.

I'm obviously a giant Georgia homer, but I disagree. They were thisclose to the SEC Championship in 2007, missing it only because UT held the tiebreaker, and there's no doubt in my mind they would have steamrolled LSU that year. They're still in the hunt to get into the SECCG this season, and, given USC and UGA's respective schedules, it looks like Georgia has a better-than-50-50 chance of getting there, though it's hard to imagine they'll stand much of a chance against 'Bama/LSU.

Given their struggles recently, it's easy to forget how dominant UGA was from 2002-2007. Even in 2008, a down year, they won 10 games. That leaves a couple years recently where they were down, but they're not that far off from getting back to twhere they were earlier in Richt's tenure.

As far as the next couple of seasons, UGA is in, by far, the best position to get back to the top of the East. Florida looks like hell right now, the personnel they have doesn't match their offensive style, and they'll be breaking in a new QB next season (and neither of the current options have shown much promise). We also don't know for sure that Muschump will turn out to be a good HC. UT is trying hard to develop, but they're a couple/few years out. USC is, well, USC. They'll be decent, but not a powerhouse, and that's assuming this isn't Spurrier's final season (there are rumors to that effect). That leaves Vandy and Kentucky.

All of the above considered, I don't think Georgia is that far away from a win in Atlanta.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

14. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

I think LSU will get a few big plays on offense and defense with long passes and turnovers that will decide the game. They more experience at quarterback and more explosive athletes all over the field, especially at wide receiver and in the secondary. I think they will control Trent Richardson by playing man to man on the outside and stuffing the box.

LSU 20 - Alabama 13

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm really looking forward to the LSU/Alabama match-up. I don't care who wins; I just think it's going to be a great game.