2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Better games than usual this week. UGA-UF was good, Wisc-OSU was great, this Stanford-USC game is really good. Clemson losing can't be too surprising but GT is just such a weird team.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Yep, USC and Stanford is a good one.

Edit: Stanford gets the win, but USC put up a good fight. Good game.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That was a weird way for the game to end.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Four days after you declared Oklahoma dead, they became within a point of controlling their own destiny. And there's still there's still four weeks to go.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I said they wouldn't go in over any BCS conference undefeated team, which is still true. I never said they were dead, nor anything close to that. I said they had a bad loss (which losing to TT still is) and that they needed several other teams to lose. Unless you're an OU homer with reading comprehension problems, not sure what your objection to that was in the first place.

Edit; in fact, I said:
    Durrrr good work being pissed off at nothing you clown.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

6. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

It looks like BSU is going to get locked out of the title game again this year.

The Good News: BSU won't be in the title game.

The Bad News: Another year of having to hear BSU whine about how they deserve to play for a title.

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

U$C and 'Furd game was great.

Might actually see an All-SEC title game. 'Furd still has to play Oregon. Oklahoma St. still has to play Kansas St and Oklahoma. And nobody cares about BSU.

8. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I would say that Boise's standing actually improved, a tiny bit, this weekend.

If Georgia somehow manages to win the SEC title, and Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, and Stanford loses one game (I realize, this is a lot of ands, but it was never going to be easy for Boise), then you'd have unbeaten Boise State and a whole bunch of one-loss BCS conference teams. Part of Boise State's 'unbeaten' is a win over SEC champ Georgia.

Even if they do get locked out of the BCS Title game, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the AP voted them #1.

We're also assuming that Alabama and LSU win out (except that one of the obviously loses to the other), but they both have one more tough game on their schedule. There's still a lot of football left on the schedule.

And this moment is why I advocate against a playoff. Right now, with three, four, (or in some cases five) games left in the season, the race is WIDE open. If there were a playoff, we'd be playing these games for seeding or home field advantage. Right now, every one of them impacts the title game.

9. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I don't see how the BCS has an appetite for a rematch of a regular season game. The only scenario where I could see an all-SEC title game would be the loser of a close Alabama/LSU game playing the winner of the SEC title game (that was lost by Alabama/LSU).

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

why does ole miss always suck so much? same of MSU.

11. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I would assume lack of population to draw recruits from. MIssissippi is the second smallest state in the SEC footprint (Arkansas has about 50K fewer people). It's got about 40% fewer people than Alabama.

Couple that with powerhouse teams on all sides (LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee) and it's hard to see how the Mississippi schools attract talent (and where they attract it from). There are very few high-quality recruits in Mississippi (there are two 5* recruits in Mississippi for 2012 - both defensive lineman), so they're stuck trying to draw kids from Texas and Florida, along with every other school in the country. If you're a 3 or 4 star recruit from Miami, would you rather play in Mississippi and get whooped every year by Alabama, LSU, and Auburn; or go to Boise State, go undefeated and whine about missing out on a National Championship?

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I knew what you were talking about , but picked on the (e.g. LSU) for semantics. That 2007 OSU team should have disposed of Florida. Losing Ginn in the first play is not an excuse (plus he injured himself celebrating :facepalm: ) but still makes a difference. The team was cocky, unprepared, and had too long a layoff. Added up to a loss to a team they could have beaten.

That said, read my previous posts. I am quite hip to the fact that no SEC team has made the BCS NC game and lost it, and I respect that. However, when you get to the middle tier teams, the SEC is on par with other conferences.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Especially this year. The SEC East is awful (and I'm a UGA fan), and the West isn't anything special once you get beyond Arkansas.

The SEC does have a rather spectacular bowl record overall, easily the best of any conference over the last five years.

That seems to be the usual OSU after-the-fact spin, but 41-14 says a bit of a different story. I'm sure the OSU team was talented enough to beat Florida on some occasion, but they got dominated in that game. Saying they "should" have won doesn't give Florida due credit for that.

Oddly I never seem to see any Michigan fans saying that Michigan "should" have beaten USC that year.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

14. eg1

eg1 Senior member

The inconvenient truth: [​IMG] :(

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

UGA just suspended three running backs, and the second-leading rusher is out for at least four weeks with an injury. We're down to our fifth-string RB!!! :fu:
    It really was. I was nearly losing my mind in the first half, but Georgia just wouldn't give up. The game was uglier than I'd like to see, but there was something that I found reassuring about that. Over this ridiculous run of UF winning nearly every year, the only time UGA could get a win was when it came out hot, didn't make any mistakes, and completely blindsided UF. This is the first time in 20 years that UGA has played ugly and won, and I can't help but wonder if that's a sign that the Gators' mental stranglehold on the game might have been broken. We'll see what happens over the next few years, but this was, by far, my favorite ugly UGA win. Oh, and the defense looked incredible, especially after the half.
    :crackup: