• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 College Football Thread

?

• F

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • L

• O

• R

• I

• D

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A!

• S

• T

• A

• T

• E!

• FLORIDA STATE!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • FLORIDA STATE!

• FLORIDA STATE!

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LET'S

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • GO

• PANTHERS!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

tj100

Reaction score

If OU lose to TT, things get pretty interesting.

This will be interesting.

Who has the inside track to lose to LSU/Alabama in the title game?

Looks to me like it's Clemson, but Kansas State (!) and Oklahoma State have a shot.

Kansas State probably doesn't have a realistic shot, given that their schedule over the next 4 weeks is a murderers' row of OU, OSU, aTm, and UT.

If OSU and Clemson both win out, I think Clemson gets the nod based on stronger scheduling (particularly 2 wins over SEC teams).

It will get tough if Boise and LSU/Alabama are the lone unbeatens. I can't see Boise State getting a shot with the schedule they've played.

This is one of those quirky years (aren't they all?) where I could see an LSU/Alabama rematch for the title if they play a really close game and there is no credible unbeaten.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This will be interesting.
Who has the inside track to lose to LSU/Alabama in the title game?
Looks to me like it's Clemson, but Kansas State (!) and Oklahoma State have a shot.
Kansas State probably doesn't have a realistic shot, given that their schedule over the next 4 weeks is a murderers' row of OU, OSU, aTm, and UT.
If OSU and Clemson both win out, I think Clemson gets the nod based on stronger scheduling (particularly 2 wins over SEC teams).
It will get tough if Boise and LSU/Alabama are the lone unbeatens. I can't see Boise State getting a shot with the schedule they've played.
This is one of those quirky years (aren't they all?) where I could see an LSU/Alabama rematch for the title if they play a really close game and there is no credible unbeaten.

OSU will probably get in over Clemson since the polls and computers love the Big 12 Conference and the ACC is usually pretty weak in football.

tj100

Reaction score

OSU will probably get in over Clemson since the polls and computers love the Big 12 Conference and the ACC is usually pretty weak in football.

I hadn't realized just how much the computers love OSU. They're ranked #1 in a couple, and higher than Clemson in all of them. So it would take a lot for Clemson to get the nod over OSU in an both-unbeaten scenario.

Of course, it seems like this is the point every season where we start thinking about which unbeaten is going to be left out, despite the knowledge that it's very unlikely that the teams in question will close out the season undefeated.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I still wouldn't count Oklahoma out for the NC game. If they win out, they'll get a big bump in the computers from winning @ OK State, vs K-State, @ Baylor, and vs. aTm. All are quality top 30 wins.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I still wouldn't count Oklahoma out for the NC game. If they win out, they'll get a big bump in the computers from winning @ OK State, vs K-State, @ Baylor, and vs. aTm. All are quality top 30 wins.

And one bad loss. I don't see how they make the championship over any BCS conference undefeated.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

And one bad loss. I don't see how they make the championship over any BCS conference undefeated.

1) It's not a bad loss. Texas Tech is 5-2 and ranked. A bad loss is losing to Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa State.

2) If Oklahoma wins out, K-State and Oklahoma State won't be undefeated. That leaves Stanford, Clemson, LSU, and Alabama. One of the latter can't win out because they play on Nov. 5, and the other will be in the national championship game. Stanford still has @ USC, vs. Oregon, and vs. Notre Dame, so they have about a 35-50% chance to lose one of those (not to mention their other two games). Clemson is Clemson, so they'll choke.

Oklahoma isn't doomed. They'll leapfrog every 1 loss BCS team because they're Oklahoma, and the computer will still love them.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TT is ranked now, but they weren't before the win yesterday. That looks bad for OU. The spread was 29 points, it's not a good loss.

Sure, OU would come out ahead of another one-loss team that wasn't Bama or LSU. But all those teams need to lose first. Like I said, no way do they deserve to leap frog an undefeated Clemson, Stanford, or LSU/Bama and I really doubt that would happen in the polls.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) It's not a bad loss. Texas Tech is 5-2 and ranked. A bad loss is losing to Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa State.
2) If Oklahoma wins out, K-State and Oklahoma State won't be undefeated. That leaves Stanford, Clemson, LSU, and Alabama. One of the latter can't win out because they play on Nov. 5, and the other will be in the national championship game. Stanford still has @ USC, vs. Oregon, and vs. Notre Dame, so they have about a 35-50% chance to lose one of those (not to mention their other two games). Clemson is Clemson, so they'll choke.
Oklahoma isn't doomed. They'll leapfrog every 1 loss BCS team because they're Oklahoma, and the computer will still love them.

If that scenario plays out and LSU loses a thriller in Tuscaloosa do you think we'll see an SEC rematch in the national championship? Probably not what most people want but It would be hard to rationally argue against it. Is an undefeated Boise team definitely on the outside looking in?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

TT is ranked now, but they weren't before the win yesterday. That looks bad for OU. The spread was 29 points, it's not a good loss.
Sure, OU would come out ahead of another one-loss team that wasn't Bama or LSU. But all those teams need to lose first. Like I said, no way do they deserve to leap frog an undefeated Clemson, Stanford, or LSU/Bama and I really doubt that would happen in the polls.

First, I'm pretty sure nobody gives a crap what the spread for the game was. Tech has lost their two games by a touchdown each to ranked teams. Do you even know what a spread is? It has exactly ZERO impact in the BCS ranking. Secondly, they won't need to leapfrog an undefeated LSU/BAMA because there are two teams in the championship game, and one of those two will be in it. At this point, there is probably a 50-75% chance that Oklahoma can make the BCS title game if they win out. I think Stanford has 35-40% chance of going undefeated. Clemson won't do it. They're Clemson. Those are the only teams that matter.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

If that scenario plays out and LSU loses a thriller in Tuscaloosa do you think we'll see an SEC rematch in the national championship? Probably not what most people want but It would be hard to rationally argue against it. Is an undefeated Boise team definitely on the outside looking in?

I doubt it, because the game will have been played already, and there are just too many pollsters that would vote to not allow it to happen. A more interesting scenario is if LSU or BAMA win out in the regular season, but LOSE the SEC championship team to South Carolina or somebody, and whether they could still go to the BCS title game over an undefeated Boise State or one loss Oklahoma or Stanford without winning the SEC. Oklahoma had that happen in 2003 when they lose to K-State in the Big 12 title game, but they got steamrolled by USC, so there is probably a bunch of people that aren't looking for another one of those either, in which case Oklahoma could actually benefit from their own loss eight years ago.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course they wouldn't leap frog another undefeated but if everyone had 1 loss, OU would be right back in it. Florida lost to an unranked Ole' Miss team at home a few years ago and they still made it in. LSU lost to an unranked Arkansas team at home in 2007 and made it also.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First, I'm pretty sure nobody gives a crap what the spread for the game was. Tech has lost their two games by a touchdown each to ranked teams. Do you even know what a spread is? It has exactly ZERO impact in the BCS ranking.

It matters for the perceived quality of the loss, which matters to the voters. It was a big upset, and thus a bad loss. Trying to spin this as losing to another top teams when OU was supposed to win by four touchdowns doesn't fly.
Secondly, they won't need to leapfrog an undefeated LSU/BAMA because there are two teams in the championship game, and one of those two will be in it. At this point, there is probably a 50-75% chance that Oklahoma can make the BCS title game if they win out. I think Stanford has 35-40% chance of going undefeated. Clemson won't do it. They're Clemson. Those are the only teams that matter.
So basically...they need everyone else to not be undefeated. Just like I said. Just winning out won't be enough for them, they need several other teams to lose. Good that we agree then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads