• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 College Football Thread

?

• F

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • L

• O

• R

• I

• D

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A!

• S

• T

• A

• T

• E!

• FLORIDA STATE!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • FLORIDA STATE!

• FLORIDA STATE!

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LET'S

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • GO

• PANTHERS!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think once we get to the SuperConference era, there's only going to be a transition year or two with the current BCS bowl structure. Presumably, the Big East and Big XII lose their AQ status, though I think it's possible that a merger of the two conferences retains one AQ slot (assuming the two merge).

So you've got 4 SuperConferences playing and 4 BCS bowl games. Each conference sends two teams (hopefully their two Championship game participants) to a BCS bowl. Maybe ACC #1 plays SEC #1; Pac 12 #1 plays Big Ten #1 (in the Rose Bowl, of course); winners face off in a Championship Game two weeks later, at a pre-determined venue (but not necessarily one of the traditional bowl sites).

I don't like that...conference championship games (unless you're top 2-3 already) become sort of meaningless if both sides are guaranteed a BCS berth.

The only downside to this scenario is that it completely freezes half of the schools out of competing for the National Championship.

isn't that already the case?

tj100

Reaction score

There are 5 BCS bowls now.

Sort of. I have always thought of it as 4 Bowl games plus the National Championship game (which is not a traditional bowl game, anyway). My structure keeps that system entirely intact, except that it moves the National Championship back a couple of weeks.

tj100

Reaction score

I don't like that...conference championship games (unless you're top 2-3 already) become sort of meaningless if both sides are guaranteed a BCS berth.

On the contrary, the Conference Championship game is the first elimination in the playoffs. Winning the conference gets you into the National Championship tournament.

One of my least favorite things about college football is the politicking at the end of the season that results in teams getting picked for Bowls that they don't really deserve to be in.

isn't that already the case?

Not explicitly. There's a scenario out there this season where Boise State could find their way into the Championship game. BYU eeked themselves into a title in 1984. So it can happen in the traditional system. In my BCS playoff world, there's no room for them at the table.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
What a circus. If you haven't checked blogs and message boards within the past hour, you are completely out of date on the latest speculation, no matter what time of day it is. The journalistic standards used in the reports of these negotiations are nothing short of embarrassing. Newspapers aren't even worth having if they do nothing to filter rumors from their content. How do these journalists live with themselves knowing they're just rewriting speculative twitter and blog posts as fact and citing "sources" who exist anonymously on the internet?

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to watching softball TTU vs ASU or Arizona just for the eye candy. I guess it's not happening anymore.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a circus. If you haven't checked blogs and message boards within the past hour, you are completely out of date on the latest speculation, no matter what time of day it is. The journalistic standards used in the reports of these negotiations are nothing short of embarrassing. Newspapers aren't even worth having if they do nothing to filter rumors from their content. How do these journalists live with themselves knowing they're just rewriting speculative twitter and blog posts as fact and citing "sources" who exist anonymously on the internet?

The same could be said about 99% of NCAA violation rumors. In sports, it seems, the public accepts journalists who report the news they want to hear, rather than the facts... oh wait, I think that happens in other news arenas as well.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is this thread that far down?

Some good games today.

Razorbacks looked like a high school team against Bama,

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't believe Pitt couldn't stave off ND at home... Buckeyes looked alive against the Buffs, mostly because of the D. Still can't pass the ball. That's not going to work against the Big Ten schedule, but it's nice to see a commitment to develop Miller for the rest of the season. I'm shaking in my boots thinking about the Wisco game. We're going to get blown away.

Speaking of blow-outs... I can't imagine WVU even makes a showing tonight against the Tigers. I am predicting a 40+ point smackdown.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleased to see Tech's offense can still score against a defense loaded with athletic freaks. Tech's special teams are still an ongoing disaster, though the defense is a little less horrible than it has been the last three years.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
FSU looked like the old days - continually shooting themselves in the foot. Two roughing the punter penalties, two other stupid penalties on third down, :fu:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

By the old days you mean the past 10 years, correct?

Well, we've been the most penalized team in the ACC since joining the ACC. EVERY YEAR. It's an impressive streak. And yes, I mean the last decade or so of the Bowden era, when the befuddled old man was just collecting a paycheck.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, we've been the most penalized team in the ACC since joining the ACC. EVERY YEAR. It's an impressive streak. And yes, I mean the last decade or so of the Bowden era, when the befuddled old man was just collecting a paycheck.

What was the score again? THEY BEAT US BY THAT MUCH? *laughter* Daggummit.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

What was the score again? THEY BEAT US BY THAT MUCH? *laughter* Daggummit.

That happened so often, it was just sad. The worst was when he sat on the bench for most of the game next to Darnell Dockett, but didn't even know Darnell had been kicked out of the game.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I forgot -- you guys are new around here. Welcome to the league run by the North Carolina mafia ... :censored:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads