1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I want a Texas conference. UT, Tech, A and M, TCU. You've got 4 solid teams there. Add in the scrubs like Rice, Houston, SMU and you've got a conference that, at worst, is better than the ACC or Big East.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Conference

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Good news everybody! Jackoff Harris is back in the starting lineup. Set sails for mediocrity!

1 person likes this.
  4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

IIRC though. FSU UF is mandated by law.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That was the old Southwest Conference, at least from '71 up to '96.

6. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Texas won't go to the Pac 12 because the Pac 12 won't allow their Longhorn Network. It seems like these are the two most likely scenarios:

1) Nothing major happens. A&M leaves or stays, and BYU takes their place.

2) Everything breaks up:

-Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to Pac 12, UT/OU rivalry is preserved out of conference (This seems ideal for both, because they won't have to play each other in the de facto conference title game during mid-season, which means both schools will have an easier time getting BCS births in the same season).

-A&M to SEC

-Kansas and Missouri to Big East (BE is desperate for football programs because the BIG10 could still poach Pitt/Rutgers)

-Kansas State and Iowa State to either Big East or Mountain West (depends on Kansas Board of Regents and whether they tie K-State to Kansas)

-Texas tries to go to the ACC and tries to bring along Texas Tech and Notre Dame, (because the ACC is the only stable conference which is okay with the Longhorn Network.)

- I don't see the SEC or Big 10 getting involved with any Big 12 schools besides A&M, although Missouri to the SEC would be the next most likely.

-No conference would want to take Missouri without Kansas or vice versa, because their major appeal is that rivalry and I don't see the SEC taking on three schools, or the Big 10 taking on two schools in the western part of their geographic base. So they'll mostly likely follow each other to the Big East. They could potentially follow the Oklahoma schools to the Pac 12, but that's almost an absurd amount of geographic reach, and neither are good enough academically or in football to justify it.

-If the SEC falls through for A&M, they're kinda fucked. The Pac 12 won't touch them and the only reason the PAC 12 wanted Texas Tech was because it came packaged with Texas, which isn't happening.

-And Baylor. LOLZ. Sucks to be them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Ahhh, yes, interesting breakdown and I haven't considered the gilded cage Texas might have created with the Longhorn Network. I couldn't imagine them going to the ACC just for the sake of keeping the network.

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I saw this and smiled. That guy is horrible.

9. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

LHN sucks ass.

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

WOO PIG SOOOIEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. tj100

tj100 Senior member

The Big XII business model was fundamentally flawed from the beginning, and it's sort of amazing that it lasted almost 15 years before it started to fall apart. The influx of TV $$$ for lower-tier games was really a game-changer over the past few years, as it pushed disproportionate $$$ to the big-name schools (mostly Texas) and made it harder and harder for traditional powers (Nebraska and Oklahoma) to keep up, and all but impossible for the Iowa States and Baylors to ever sniff a championship.

The Longhorn Network is not as big an issue for the Pac16 as it's made out to be. The Pac 12 currently has the Tier-3 games (which would be broadcast on the Longhorn Network) slated for broadcast on six conference-owned regional networks. The Longhorn Network just becomes the "Pac 16 Texas Network". Easy. You would think that money would be a big issue here, but I've seen an analysis (I've now lost the link) that shows that every school in the Pac12 will be getting as much conference revenue over the foreseeable future as Texas gets from the Big XII PLUS the $15M a year from the Longhorn Network.

Texas took a gamble with the LHN, and the early returns are somewhat marginal (ratings were not great for Texas - Rice). My money is on a Pac 16 conference with two 8 team divisions with Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and a Texas school to be named later (I would assume Tech, but you can be sure that every AD in Texas is calling Larry Scott this week).

12. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Keep in mind that Texas and OU have played each other 105 times, but have only been in the same conference for 19 years (four years in the SWC from 1915-1919, plus 15 years in the Big XII).

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Of course, but I have to wonder if OU, playing a tough as nails Pac 12 schedule is going to want to schedule another tough out of conference opponent every year. Once upon a time these rivalries were more important to these schools than rankings but I think that time is in the past.

14. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I really don't see much of a scenario where Oklahoma goes to the Pac 12 without Texas. Larry Scott has done an amazing job positioning the Pac 12 into a premier conference from an also-ran. Five years ago, the conference pecking order (IMHO) was: SEC, Big 10, Big XII, ACC, Pac 10, Big East. Now, it looks more like: SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, Big XII, Big East.

The result of this is that there's very little pressure on the Pac 12 at this point. The Pac 12 schools right now are bringing in a boatload of money from the conference. It's going to be tough to add schools without decreasing revenue per school. If you can add Texas, you expand. If you can't get Texas, I think they're pretty happy at 12. The Big XII is not a threat to poach schools from the Pac 12, so you don't really have to worry about being aggressive anymore.

If I were Larry Scott, my wish list would be Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State.

The scenario where the Pac 12 gets Oklahoma without Texas is if the Longhorns go to the SEC or independent. In that case, I think the OU/UT game survives in the same way that the USC/Notre Dame game survives. The Pac 12 is actually not that good at football, outside of one or two schools every year. The schedule isn't so difficult that having Texas on the calendar would kill you.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I agree with most of what you are saying here but in what sense are the Big 10 and ACC above the Big XII? The ACC hasn't had a legitimate nat'l championship contender in years, and the Big 10 mostly folds in the post season.

16. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Please. The ACC and the Big 10 have stability and historically better programs. The members of the Big XII are scrambling for the lifeboats.

One of the metrics I like to use for conference strength is how many conference teams have won national titles. The logic is that a national championship season solidifies a fan base and creates a long lasting sense of entitlement among the school's fans.

In the ACC, half of their teams claim a title (or multiple titles): Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Maryland.

In the Big 10, ten of their teams claim a title (or multiples): Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State. Plus they own the very successful Big 10 Network.

In the Big XII, three of their teams claim a title: Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M (in 1939). Two of those members are looking for the exit.

The Big XII finds itself now in almost exactly the position that the Pac 10 was in a few years ago. It is a crap conference with two elite teams. Texas and Oklahoma are great teams, but two great teams do not make a great conference. Five years ago, the Big XII had two more championship-winning teams (Nebraska and Colorado), and its doormats were making noise (Kansas State, Texas Tech, even Kansas went to the Orange Bowl). Now, the conference is: (1) Texas, (1A) Oklahoma, (2) everybody else.

While the ACC hasn't had a contender in years, the (current) Big XII has NEVER had a contender that wasn't Texas or Oklahoma.

17. Nil

Nil Senior member

:wow:

18. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I like it.

Much like the Pac 12 has no incentive to grow without Texas, the Big 10 has no incentive to get bigger without Notre Dame. ND is going to get squeezed into a conference at some point, and they need to do it while they still have some relevance.

I will say, I'm excited for the prospect of a landscape with 4 16-team conferences (probably the SEC, Pac 16, Big 16, and the ACC). 64 teams play their conference schedules, winnow down to 8 teams competing for conference championships the week after Thanksgiving; the four conference champions play in the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar on New Years' weekend. Two winners play a championship game in early January. Love it.

Sucks for the Boise State's of the world; but I suppose you could work in some kind of play-in game/bye system to make them a little less dissatisfied.

19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

surely if this did come to pass, one of the big conferences would find room for Boise, TCU, BYU and Utah, wouldn't they? Although TCU may be committed to the Big East by agreement.

20. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Fuck Boise State. I'm tired of them already.