• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 BMW 550ix

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trust me as a fellow 997 owner - you want a car that albeit large, still handles well and has great power. Or else it will be such a step down that you'll never drive the new car. See if the S6 can cut it, or I guess the Panamera could be plan B

Do you have a second car that you drive on a regular basis?

I have a 135i and a 330ci. The 135i is the one that's more enjoyable to daily drive and closer to the 911 performance. The e46 is just too big a step down to make me wish I was driving the Porsche, which is why I made that comment. In a couple of years I might consolidate both to an M3 or something, but I am still undecided on that.

I realize neither of those cars meet your size or AWD needs. If you didn't need AWD, BMW M-cars are a no brainer IMO. why not get an SUV with great driving dynamics like the X5 or Cayenne?

Bartolo

Reaction score

why not get an SUV with great driving dynamics like the X5 or Cayenne?

The high center of gravity of an SUV totally changes driving dynamics for me. They might be great driving SUV's, but they aren't cars.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
How do you like the 135i?

I'v certainly considered the Cayenne S or the X5. I'm tired of driving a truck. Drove a 1991 Land Cruiser for 15 years and then got the F150.
AWD is a must as there are times I have to get to the hospital and it might be totally crappy weather.

I hate the way the 550GT looks... Hate it.
I have yet to drive any of them and I realize it will be my experiences driving tempered with what I want in the car that leads to my decision.
I'm favorably impressed with both BMW and Audi. Mercedes not so much.
If BMW made the M5 AWD, I'd be buying one sight unseen.

As to the Panamera 4S being more expensive, I'm not really weighing the cost factor.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 135i is an awesome little car. One of the best performance bargains out there, and maybe the best performance european car bargain. And I haven't even modded it yet. But it's a small car, and too much like the 911 in terms of function/limitations. So I am thinking I need more of a sedan/touring car. I live in FL though, so I dont need the AWD. Actually, I'm very curious to see what you do end up getting because I see myself in the same boat as you within the next year or two (minus the AWD of course)

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm extremely interested in the 2012 Audi A6 (also the A8). I am currently not in a location where there is an Audi dealer within a reasonable distance that has one in stock..
My questions
1. Has anyone test driven one?
2. if so, how does it compare to the 535i?
3. How is the power and acceleration? Should I wait for the S6
4. How is the quality of the interior.
5. Is the A7 worth a look?

I am jonesing for a new car and I will need AWD or 4x4 for the winters when I relocate to the Cincinnati area in a month (I've lived there before) and I want to offload my Ford F150 as I am just tired of it.

Just wanted to answer a few of the other questions, other than the A7. My friends mother recently got the A6 so we gave it a spin a few times when she was not around. It's pretty quick but not a rocket. I think it is much nicer than the 525i, I personally love the simplicity of the A6, none of that iDrive bullshit system. You mught want to wait for the S6, or you might want to wait longer for the RS6. Interior is very nice, it depends on package obviously, top of the line is comparable to Mercedes and BMW, although you can't compare it to a S550 or a 7-Series.

All in All it was not an exciting car to drive. It was a good car very stable and meant for an executive who's boss drove the A8 so he drives the A6...Or for an executive's wife. Personally I would go for the A7. It will turn heads and is much more likely to feel newer longer. Don't get me wrong A6, nice stable sedan, pretty quick 0-60 in 5.5, but the A7 looks like its similar in speed, and shares a similar interior and tech package as the A8.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get a great deal on a MB E550 4 matic well equiped, these days. MB must be pushing to become the leading luxury brand in the US, because nothing leases better right now.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score

Just wanted to answer a few of the other questions, other than the A7. My friends mother recently got the A6 so we gave it a spin a few times when she was not around. It's pretty quick but not a rocket. I think it is much nicer than the 525i, I personally love the simplicity of the A6, none of that iDrive bullshit system. You mught want to wait for the S6, or you might want to wait longer for the RS6. Interior is very nice, it depends on package obviously, top of the line is comparable to Mercedes and BMW, although you can't compare it to a S550 or a 7-Series.

All in All it was not an exciting car to drive. It was a good car very stable and meant for an executive who's boss drove the A8 so he drives the A6...Or for an executive's wife. Personally I would go for the A7. It will turn heads and is much more likely to feel newer longer. Don't get me wrong A6, nice stable sedan, pretty quick 0-60 in 5.5, but the A7 looks like its similar in speed, and shares a similar interior and tech package as the A8.

Appreciate the insight.
What year was it? The 2011 A6 looked boring as hell to me. The new design looks a lot better.
The 2012 A6 and A7 appear to have the same electronics. At least from the brochures and the online stuff.
0-60 times are listed at 5.3 and 5.4 respectively. I don't need or want a rocket. I have my 911 for that. If i really wanted a rocket I'd get a ZR1 Corvette or a 997Turbo S.
I am my own boss so I don't give a crap what anyone around me drives and I just don't need the room of the A8/750/S550 etc. I'd make an exception for the panamera
As far as the looks of the A7, I need to see one in person and drive all of them.
I'm prepared to buy one in the next 2-3 months depending on what I like and how long it takes to build one on order.

Anyone have a 2011 535ix or 550ix???

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appreciate the insight.
What year was it? The 2011 A6 looked boring as hell to me. The new design looks a lot better.
The 2012 A6 and A7 appear to have the same electronics. At least from the brochures and the online stuff.
0-60 times are listed at 5.3 and 5.4 respectively. I don't need or want a rocket. I have my 911 for that. If i really wanted a rocket I'd get a ZR1 Corvette or a 997Turbo S.
I am my own boss so I don't give a crap what anyone around me drives and I just don't need the room of the A8/750/S550 etc. I'd make an exception for the panamera
As far as the looks of the A7, I need to see one in person and drive all of them.
I'm prepared to buy one in the next 2-3 months depending on what I like and how long it takes to build one on order.

Anyone have a 2011 535ix or 550ix???

It was a 2011 A6. The 2012 one looks nice, it lines it up as the sibling to the A8. Honestly they both look decent to me. I have not seen much of the 2012 A6's so I cannot speak for them.

If you ever get a 997 Turbo S... I will be jealous. Last Car and Driver test took it 0-60 in 2.7 seconds..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Trust me as a fellow 997 owner - you want a car that albeit large, still handles well and has great power. Or else it will be such a step down that you'll never drive the new car. See if the S6 can cut it, or I guess the Panamera could be plan B
I couldn't agree more.You'll notice the difference and possibly regret not having something as thrilling, albeit a different type of thrill.

Last edited:

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more.You'll notice the difference and possibly regret not having something as thrilling, albeit a different type of thrill.

Well, I am driving an F150 when I don't drive my 911
There is a huge difference.
The Turbo S is a pipe-dream. I love the car and could swing it financially but there is no way I would get everything out of it.
Anyone with the 535ix or 550ix???

letmefly

Reaction score
As the BMW m-cars were disqualified previously due to rwd I just wanted to let you know that the new M5 will be available with AWD. Myself I don't see a problem with the 997 + A6 combo as it works great for my dad. Two different needs to fill... (driving the BMW 650 myself)

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My uncle bought a F10 535i a couple weeks back. Amazing car - he was looking at the A6 as well but the overall experience wasn't as good as on the BMW's. Check this thread, pretty much sums up the major differences: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554943

FWIW, he's got a SL550 and a S2000 as well and is very happy with the 535i instead of a 550i. He did come from daily driving a 525i though.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Thanks
I've pretty much read everything out there at this point
I just need to go drive them.
I'm not much of a bimmer fan but I can keep an open mind

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, you just have to test drive both and you'll know which one you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads