• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 50 Best Restaurants in the World List

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that there are different panels in different parts of the world to try and give some semblance of balance and to make sure that the list is not totally euro-centric given that it originates in London. So, the appearance of certain US places represents the way the panels are set up as much as it does the quality of the restaurants themselves.

As far as I am aware there is still no requirement to prove that you have been to the restaurants you vote for. There certainly was not last year when I was on the UK panel. I was just asked to nominate seven (if memory serves me)places I had eaten in the previous eighteen months. I can't speak for anyone else, but I only chose places that I had actually visited. It would have been a silly exercise otherwise. I suggested people should submit their receipts with their votes, but never got a response.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why does David Chang constantly place on this list? I don't get it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
TFL at 43 and Amber (Hong Kong) at 44, which I just went to recently - I find that strange. I haven't been to TFL but I imagine just the experience of driving out to wine country and eating in TK's little fine dining shack is more memorable than pushing an elevator button and eating anonymous pseudo-French in a Chinese luxury hotel.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See that quote above. Panels are weighted somewhat equally by region, and the voters don't even have to go to the restaurants they vote for. So places with lots of buzz or good PR get voted up and capitalize on it.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand how TFL went from #1 restaurant in (all of) the Americas to something like 40 on the list. Having dined there, I put it easily in my top 3. Is Per Se that much better?

ettebe

Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have very little experience with Chang and none beyond Ma Peche but isn't Ko supposed to be his flagship? So what is this Ssssam Bar or whatever that is on the list?

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably too tiny top matter.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have very little experience with Chang and none beyond Ma Peche but isn't Ko supposed to be his flagship? So what is this Ssssam Bar or whatever that is on the list?

Ssam is wrapping stuff in lettuce like hand rolls; I think at Ssam bar he makes things like his Bo ssam (pork shoulder with lettuce wraps) and the $100 fried chicken.

At Ko he makes things like an amuse bouche of a pork rind sprinkled in the lowest quality S and B brand shichimi tougarashi, and a 'kimchi consomme' that is like the strained version of a broth that Korean $2 noodle shops serve.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In other words, neither one deserves to be on the list ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads