1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by hendrix, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

oh dont start with the black shirt thing its zzzzzz. The real story is how shit England are!

Just one note about sonny bill - he contributed passes in contact that led to 3 tries. Oh and Fruean! Cant believe he cant make the ABs, such a good player.

2. AGPi

AGPi Senior member

Sonny Bill is flawed and far from the complete centre, but he is brilliant at times. Quade Cooper - who moves to the wing in defence! - is an analogous player. I'd love to see NZ give Sonny a chance: would make for a better tournament.

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Yeah i guess he did play well, I just don't think he's on the level of Smith or Nonu. Would love to have Fruean in there.

England were hilariously bad last night. Complaining to the ref when they were lying all over the ball at the rucks. They were penalised fairly each time and they kept bitching. They should've been yellow-carded earlier IMO.

Great game.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Here's what is pissing me off. The station that is showing the RWC here shows a bunch of olympic sports usually tape delayed and in a stupid and frustrating manner. Case in point, rather than showing the matches like today, they are showing month-old triathlon, and only the Tonga NZ match.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Spent the weekend watching the RWC surprised by Romania and Scotland game.

Just watched Wales and SA great game. So was the 2nd half Wallabies v Italy.

It only gets better from here on in. Go the Wallabies!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. AGPi

AGPi Senior member

South Africa was lucky to get out of that one. Wallabies were terrible in the first half. Italian scrum awesome as usual. Samoa to win their pool.

8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Would love to see that happening, but after the way Wales play, it's hard to see Samoa beating them, and then getting up to beat both Fiji and South Africa. Real tough pool.

USA may fancy themselves against Ireland tomorrow. Hell, Italy should as well. that's the easiest pool for a minnow to get through i think. I wonder what Russia will be like.

9. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Gotta be happy with the way Argentina played today. They've really gotta be brought into a regular competition. Is it me imagining things or was there a plan to bring them into the tri nations?

This pisses me off too. NZ spent so much tax payer money bringing the world cup here and we're making a huge loss as the only direct profits are from ticket sales - broadcasting, ads etc all go to the IRB. If we're not at least getting the television coverage to broadcast our beautiful country (inferiority complex means we can't fathom anyone ever thinking that our country isn't beautiful) to the world than it's all a big waste of money.

Plus, all the games so far have been great to watch.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  10. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

interesting quote considering there is no UK team

11. edinatlanta

/thread

Nope. IIRC SANZAR put the decision on hold. It is just logistically impossible to work them in. And to get there you're flying over the Pacific Islands (or if you're SA...you're just flying).

lol i read htat too.

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Oh completely missed the Ireland-USA game this morning. Meh. Ireland pretty average. Can't see them doing anything.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Agree with you the IRB like most sporting bodies have become too big and disconnected from game. A large percentage of the media money raised should go to the home union and the rest should be spent in developing the game. I mean the Northern Hemisphere Unions dominate the IRB and we have seen their style of play on display this weekend, boring. I wonder if there will be shades of 1956 in the Georgia Russia game should be a live one to watch and my understanding is that the Tri Nation is going to expand to four to take in Argentina from next year.

Bigest problem here in Oz is that if you dont have pay you get fuck all from the rights holders channel 9 have their flagship station and two digital stations and are giving only limited live coverage, wankers.

14. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Oops meant England. No offence meant to other home nations.

15. edinatlanta

lol. this is so dumb and ill informed.

16. edinatlanta

Just looked at the scores--nothing else... Wow is all I can say.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Why is this so dumb and ill informed? Oh I forget IRB officials should all live like Sepp Blatter see a story in todays SMH about the conduct of these IRB pigs.

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

The Japan-France game was soooo much tighter than it looks on the scoreboard. was 21-25 and one point with Japan on a roll.

I don't think the IRB is bad, just from the point of view of the taxpayer, the prediction is that we make a 39million dollar loss, with two thirds to be funded by the government, the rest by the NZRU.

Basically, we better get our money's worth.

19. edinatlanta

Because it is a standard agreement for major sporting events. You are securing the rights to an IRB/FIFA/Whatever sporting event. It is their premier fundraising event. And yes, shocking I know, but they do redistribute it to national boards world wide and other programs to develop the game. WTF do you think they do with it?

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Bullshit, it just shows the greed of these organisations and then the home unions have to charge exorbitant ticket prices. Anyway this is side issue the main thing is what for the chokers to fall flat on their faces and the Wallabies take Bill home.