• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2011 NY Yankees thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
pedro martinez.... 1st ballot as a motherfucker.

baseball_quotes_8.jpg

who do you think is more of a HOF-amer pettit or mussina?

Holy Crap, you got me. Martinez is a first ballot guy all the way. ****, forgot all about that guy.

Mussina, only because he's sitting at over 250 wins, though he only has one 20 win season. If Andy P had no steroid problem I would think it would be a lot closer, mainly because Andy is left handed. These baseball heads on SF will try and tell you that wins for a pitcher don't matter, but it is still the gold standard by which they are measured.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Martinez was in a no-win situation there. What was he supposed to do, stand there and get his ass kicked by an old man?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Martinez was in a no-win situation there. What was he supposed to do, stand there and get his ass kicked by an old man?

he actually did the best he could do in that situation by throwing zimmer down. if he tried punching him he would be beating up an old man, if he ran away he'd be the ***** that ran away from a geriatric.

has anyone been to the new Toilet? I used to watch a bunch of games in the old Toilet because you could always score affordable tickets (even in pairs) to decent seats retail off mlb.com the night before a game even for Red Sox Yankee games.

last year I watched 4 games, two were pharmaceutical company comped, and two I spent out of pocket. Unfortunately since theres only 40,000 plus seats you can't score affordable tickets off mlb.com anymore. The two games that were comped were actually in the Audi Club (which is really nice, but detached from actually enjoying the game).

The two games I paid for were nosebleeds (bleachers and upper tier) and there was no more "yankee fan on yankee fan crime". seems like they fans want to actually watch a game now and not waste the $50-$120 dollars they blew on nosebleeds.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he actually did the best he could do in that situation by throwing zimmer down. if he tried punching him he would be beating up an old man, if he ran away he'd be the ***** that ran away from a geriatric.

has anyone been to the new Toilet? I used to watch a bunch of games in the old Toilet because you could always score affordable tickets (even in pairs) to decent seats retail off mlb.com the night before a game even for Red Sox Yankee games.

last year I watched 4 games, two were pharmaceutical company comped, and two I spent out of pocket. Unfortunately since theres only 40,000 plus seats you can't score affordable tickets off mlb.com anymore. The two games that were comped were actually in the Audi Club (which is really nice, but detached from actually enjoying the game).

The two games I paid for were nosebleeds (bleachers and upper tier) and there was no more "yankee fan on yankee fan crime". seems like they fans want to actually watch a game now and not waste the $50-$120 dollars they blew on nosebleeds.

That's always been my thought as well. Don't see why he took so much **** for it. It's not as if he body slammed Zimmer. If someone comes after you, you have a right to defend yourself, regardless of who they are.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why was Zimmer out there trying to charge someone anyway? Yankee brawls are always the best. I remember when Bentiez gave up a HR to Bernie Williams then came back and drilled Tino Martinez in the back. One of the best baseball brawls ensued.

If Peter Gammons is reporting on any Red Sox brawl the other team is always at fault and takes cheap shots against Red Sox players. Never have I see a guy so bias and able to keep his job and stay respected.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pettite vs Mussina ? Tough call but my vote is for Pettite for two 20+ win seasons, his record in the postseason and 5 rings. I personally think he was a much better pitcher than Mussina was and should DEFINITELY get the voe over Schilling.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
Pettite vs Mussina ? Tough call but my vote is for Pettite for two 20+ win seasons, his record in the postseason and 5 rings. I personally think he was a much better pitcher than Mussina was and should DEFINITELY get the voe over Schilling.

I think a lot of people really didn't get a good look at Mussina while he was in Baltimore, his knuckle-curve was teh nasty. He had a perfect game going into the 7th or 8th inning once against Detroit and the ball looked like it was going right through the bat when those guys swung.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its true. even us boston fans cringe when shilling speaks. ng regular use of methamphetamine based drugs throughout his career. the weird underreported angle about schilling is how he has "attention deficit disorder". ADD entaili

but hey if its doctor approved and MLB OK'ed its all good.

Very interesting Doc. I never knew this.

Do you think Curt's ADD kicked in big time before a game and he had to increase his med dose
smile.gif
Like ADD college students need for adderall before an exam LOL.

As to the Yanks, I don't follow them closely these days.

But as a boy my Dad took me to the old stadium a lot and I saw a lot of truly historic games.

Like when Larsen pitched his WS perfect game.

When Mantle hit the light towers in right field ( which I believe is the closest anyone ever came to hitting one out of the old stadium ).

And of course Maris # 61 HR. The golden season was 1961, and I went to a lot of games.

I was rooting for the Mick, but I think his health kept him from matching or beating Maris. I think guys like Johny Blanchard and Moose Skowron hit about 20+ homers each and made about $50,000 each. How times have changed!!!

As to the current Yanks. I do not follow them closely but I think they are still definite first or second place finishers in the division, and I would not be surprised if they beat out the Sox.

guster

Reaction score
This applies to almost every team in MLB, not just Boston.

Slopho;4090780 said:
Jeter and Rivera are first ballot HOFers, I can't even think of anyone who's played for Boston (and is associated with the team) in the last 10-15 years you could say the same about.

guster

Reaction score
Mussina will be hurt a little that he never was associated with being a big postseason player the way AP and Schilling were. Schilling will get more votes than you think because of his big stage performances. Other players hated him because was great at being an ass. Don't know how that will play with the press voters as he always had a lot of time for them to shoot his mouth off. He will also be looked at favorably for not getting caught with steroids.

It will be interesting to see what happens with AP. He came out and admitted it but he was caught. I would say if they over look him getting busted than Manny Ramirez should get in his first few years of eligibilty.

Originally Posted by Slopho
I think a lot of people really didn't get a good look at Mussina while he was in Baltimore, his knuckle-curve was teh nasty. He had a perfect game going into the 7th or 8th inning once against Detroit and the ball looked like it was going right through the bat when those guys swung.

guster

Reaction score
Mussina vs Schilling for the HOF. Grabbed this off the web..

Those wins and winning % for Mussina will be big with the voters.

Shilling's stats first then followed by Mussina):

Winning Pct.: 59.7% (216-146) v. 63.8% (270-153)

Regular Season

CG: 83 v. 57

SO: 3116 v. 2813

ERA: 3.46 v. 3.68

All Star Appearances 6 v. 5

CY Young Runner-up 3 v. 1

Post Season

Wins: 10 v. 7

ERA: 2.23 v. 3.42

WS Rings 3 v. 0

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
Mussina vs Schilling for the HOF. Grabbed this off the web..

Those wins and winning % for Mussina will be big with the voters.

Shilling's stats first then followed by Mussina):

Winning Pct.: 59.7% (216-146) v. 63.8% (270-153)

Regular Season

CG: 83 v. 57

SO: 3116 v. 2813

ERA: 3.46 v. 3.68

All Star Appearances 6 v. 5

CY Young Runner-up 3 v. 1

Post Season

Wins: 10 v. 7

ERA: 2.23 v. 3.42

WS Rings 3 v. 0

I've made the argument before, but I always think it deserves restating. Curt Schilling was never THE pitcher of any of those WS teams. I don't believe he started a game one in a series and was second fiddle to Johnson and Martinez...and Beckett

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really solid game today. "mark sent a tex message" and "the grandy man can"
laugh.gif

The bullpen looks awesome, i'd be scared past the 6th inning to go against their bullpen down in the game.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pettitte, Mussina, and Schilling are all not getting into the Hall without a ticket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads