• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2011 NY Yankees thread

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
2,944
Reaction score
402
why not? everyone either loves or hates the damn yanks so enough fodder for everyone!

so now that Andy Pettitte is officially retiring, who will step up bartolo colon??? we need a big time pitcher!
 

soxpats

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
606
Reaction score
10
They are going to struggle this season. BIG TIME.
 

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
5,364
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
why not? everyone either loves or hates the damn yanks so enough fodder for everyone!

so now that Andy Pettitte is officially retiring, who will step up bartolo colon??? we need a big time pitcher!


I hope he makes it to the Hall before Schilling, probably won't because of roids, but overall a much better pitcher.
 

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Messages
27,311
Reaction score
1,619
Originally Posted by soxpats
They are going to struggle this season. BIG TIME.
As much as I hate to admit it I think that this is going to be rather true. 3rd place, at best.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,738
Reaction score
2,688
Originally Posted by Rambo
As much as I hate to admit it I think that this is going to be rather true. 3rd place, at best.

 

guster

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by soxpats
They are going to struggle this season. BIG TIME.

I don't believe the Yankees will struggle like people think.

Yankees bullpen got much stronger. That is a incredible bullpen that will win a lot of games for them. That lineup is still killer. Does it have some question marks - yup - but so do the Red Sox. Yankees are not sone yet either. They will get some other starting pitching and you know in mid season they will be top team for the best talent available. Yankees have good pitching in the minors. Might be too early for them but they have major assets available for a trade.

The e Rays are still loaded in minors and still have a good staff. They need bullpen help and they should be OK.

Sure Red Sox had injuries last year but they also lost their 2 best hitters over the course of the '09 season for this season. Maybe Beltre could not repeat what he did in'09 but that is a lot of production they needed to replace with him and Martinez. They should have kept Martinez but then maybe they would not have had the money for the other 2? Their catching? Veritek was awful hitter when he was full time and Saltimacchia has been bad at major league level. Drew had his worst season and now a year older. Lester and Bucholtz were great last year but rest of the staff was avaerage at best. Which Ortiz will show up? Does Paplebon continue his downward slide. Jenks is nice addition but has been on downward trend for last few years. People excited about Bard but an unproven closer if Pap goes or contnues downward slide. Does Ellsbury break a rib or get a hangnail and miss the entire season again? The entire Red Sox infield will be coming off surgery.

I am not a Yankees fan but lets face it - they were better than the Red Sox last year and they got stronger with exception of Petite retiring. Red Sox fans are being too over confident to think they will walk away with it and the Yankees will not be there battling them all season -and in the playoffs.
 

soxpats

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
606
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by guster
I don't believe the Yankees will struggle like people think.

Yankees bullpen got much stronger. That is a incredible bullpen that will win a lot of games for them. That lineup is still killer. Does it have some question marks - yup - but so do the Red Sox. Yankees are not sone yet either. They will get some other starting pitching and you know in mid season they will be top team for the best talent available. Yankees have good pitching in the minors. Might be too early for them but they have major assets available for a trade.

The e Rays are still loaded in minors and still have a good staff. They need bullpen help and they should be OK.

Sure Red Sox had injuries last year but they also lost their 2 best hitters over the course of the '09 season for this season. Maybe Beltre could not repeat what he did in'09 but that is a lot of production they needed to replace with him and Martinez. They should have kept Martinez but then maybe they would not have had the money for the other 2? Their catching? Veritek was awful hitter when he was full time and Saltimacchia has been bad at major league level. Drew had his worst season and now a year older. Lester and Bucholtz were great last year but rest of the staff was avaerage at best. Which Ortiz will show up? Does Paplebon continue his downward slide. Jenks is nice addition but has been on downward trend for last few years. People excited about Bard but an unproven closer if Pap goes or contnues downward slide. Does Ellsbury break a rib or get a hangnail and miss the entire season again? The entire Red Sox infield will be coming off surgery.

I am not a Yankees fan but lets face it - they were better than the Red Sox last year and they got stronger with exception of Petite retiring. Red Sox fans are being too over confident to think they will walk away with it and the Yankees will not be there battling them all season -and in the playoffs.



Time will tell. I will take Sox starting pitching over the Yankees this year any day of the week. Jeter at shortstop will be painful to watch although rest of infield is strong. I think it will be interesting season to say the least. I'm a Sox fan but I don't think they are an automatic run away. I do however love what they have done this offseason.
 

guster

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by soxpats
Time will tell. I will take Sox starting pitching over the Yankees this year any day of the week. Jeter at shortstop will be painful to watch although rest of infield is strong. I think it will be interesting season to say the least. I'm a Sox fan but I don't think they are an automatic run away. I do however love what they have done this offseason.

I agree - Strong offseason for the RedSox. Would have been over the top good if they had just signed Martinez.
 

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
2,944
Reaction score
402
i still think we pull off getting king felix midseason, just gotta tread water till then
 

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
5,364
Reaction score
13
^ Yeah, maybe. I wonder if Seattle will ever get it together.
 

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Joined
Mar 2, 2002
Messages
10,305
Reaction score
126
Originally Posted by Slopho
I hope he makes it to the Hall before Schilling, probably won't because of roids, but overall a much better pitcher.

Schilling's an ass.
 

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
7,402
Reaction score
1,952
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Schilling's an ass.


its true. even us boston fans cringe when shilling speaks. the weird underreported angle about schilling is how he has "attention deficit disorder". ADD entailing regular use of methamphetamine based drugs throughout his career.

but hey if its doctor approved and MLB OK'ed its all good.

but since its a yankee's thread its awesome that the yankees whiffed on signing schilling and signed the vaunted Javier Vasquez instead. Actually I think the back story was that the Sawx wanted vasquez and the yankees "evil empire-d" and trumped the offer first hence the redsox pursuit of Schilling.

the yankess are actually likable when they are "underdogs". still a $200,000,000.00 underdog is hard to root for.
 

guster

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Liked your post until the end... Unless you live in NY area, grew up there or a just one of those fans that like Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers because it's stylish, the Yankees are never likeable as long as they are owned by that family!

Hating the Yankees - does not apply to hating Jeter - tough to hate that guy that plays the game the right way.

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
its true. even us boston fans cringe when shilling speaks. the weird underreported angle about schilling is how he has "attention deficit disorder". ADD entailing regular use of methamphetamine based drugs throughout his career.

but hey if its doctor approved and MLB OK'ed its all good.

but since its a yankee's thread its awesome that the yankees whiffed on signing schilling and signed the vaunted Javier Vasquez instead. Actually I think the back story was that the Sawx wanted vasquez and the yankees "evil empire-d" and trumped the offer first hence the redsox pursuit of Schilling.

the yankess are actually likable when they are "underdogs". still a $200,000,000.00 underdog is hard to root for.
 

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
5,364
Reaction score
13
Jeter and Rivera are first ballot HOFers, I can't even think of anyone who's played for Boston (and is associated with the team) in the last 10-15 years you could say the same about.

troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll
 

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
7,402
Reaction score
1,952
Originally Posted by Slopho
Jeter and Rivera are first ballot HOFers, I can't even think of anyone who's played for Boston (and is associated with the team) in the last 10-15 years you could say the same about. troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll
pedro martinez.... 1st ballot as a motherfucker.
who do you think is more of a HOF-amer pettit or mussina?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,006
Messages
9,189,976
Members
193,023
Latest member
nworcest

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top