1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2011 James Beard award nominees

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ChicagoRon, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The big LOLs are: Blue Hill for best restaurant [​IMG] (BH @ Stone Barns maybe but BHNY nfw), Torrisi for best new restaurant [​IMG] (maybe most incredibly overhyped restaurant?), Wylie Dufresne or Gabrielle Hamilton for best NYC chef [​IMG] [​IMG] (double barf)

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Yeah, it's amazing to me that Dufresne keeps getting put up for awards.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

The big LOLs are: Blue Hill for best restaurant [​IMG] (BH @ Stone Barns maybe but BHNY nfw), Torrisi for best new restaurant [​IMG] (maybe most incredibly overhyped restaurant?), Wylie Dufresne or Gabrielle Hamilton for best NYC chef [​IMG] [​IMG] (double barf)

+1 to all of these.

and Cafe Boulud is great.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is Blue Hills NY no good? I have a friend who loves it, but he has no taste.

5. gdl203

Is Blue Hills NY no good? I have a friend who loves it, but he has no taste.

That's actually perfect because the food there has no taste. Everything is under-seasoned and floating in nages and broths. I think some people like the extra-light flavor concept - I'm not one of them

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

I used to adore Blue Hill, it was my personal favorite in NYC, but now think it's a bit "too big" for its confines. Regardless, not one of the best restaurants in the US, though very, very good. Note that the award requires having been open for ten years, so places like Per Se or BH@SB can't be nominated.

I personally liked Coi when I visited, but haven't been to Benu. I thought it was overpriced, but it was good and the service was top notch. Also really liked Slanted Door, both times I've been.

I found Blackbird to be pretty mediocre, however. Full of failed experiments.

Of those not discussed previously, I also liked Ubuntu (Napa, Rising Chef), Momofuku Milk Bar (NYC, Rising Chef), Pok Pok (Portland, Regional), Redd (Yountville, Regional), Quince (SF, Regional) and 112 Eatery (Minneapolis, Regional)...

but thought Le Pigeon (Portland, Rising Chef) and Heartland (St. Paul, Regional) were disappointing.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are these the same people who invite Amaryll Schwertner to their dinner parties?
    No, but the Blue Hills person is .

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    the beards are mostly conversation-starters. i've been involved on both sides -- judging and competing -- for many years, and it's not in any way to be considered a reliable indicator of anything more than what a small group of fairly informed people think at any one particular moment.
    for me, honestly, i can say that winning is really nice, but being nominated always meant more ... the usual artist's bullshit of "how can you say one story/book was the best of the whole year?" but really, how can you?
    that said, i do have to admit that the biggest honor of my career has been/will probably ever be their who's who. mainly because you're nominated and voted only by those who are already members, and they only do a few a year.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You're on crack. My favorite Daniel restaurant.
    In Palm Beach? From what I've heard the one in NY is far and away the better of the two.

11. gdl203

In Palm Beach? From what I've heard the one in NY is far and away the better of the two.

oh sorry, no. I didn't even know there was one in Palm Beach.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

oh sorry, no. I didn't even know there was one in Palm Beach.
    Yep. Its in the Breakers hotel.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Big winnars released

Best New Restaurant (Presented by Mercedes-Benz): ABC Kitchen, NYC, Chef/Owner: Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Owner: Phil Suarez

Outstanding Restaurateur Award: Richard Melman, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Chicago

Outstanding Restaurant Award: Eleven Madison Park, NYC, Owner: Danny Meyer

Outstanding Chef Award: JosÃ[​IMG] AndrÃ[​IMG]s, minibar, Washington, D.C.

A hell of a lot of [​IMG]

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

A hell of a lot of [​IMG]

why? ABC and EMP are awesome.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I have no doubt they're great restaurants. I do have doubts that they are the best in their respective categories. I know you disagree.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Keller had shoes engraved with the words "Death" and "Glory" [​IMG] ROFL! WTF. Foodguy, as a personal friend of his, please explain.

17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Keller had shoes engraved with the words "Death" and "Glory"
    [​IMG]

ROFL! WTF. Foodguy, as a personal friend of his, please explain.

too funny. i have absolutely no idea. that is very un-thomas.

18. Desi

Desi Senior member

pretty sure those are just a pair of Barker Black slippers

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

pretty sure those are just a pair of Barker Black slippers

This doesn't make it any less WTFLOL