2011 James Beard award nominees

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ChicagoRon, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

So - the nominations are in - some things as expected, and some surprises - good and bad. Pulling for the Girl and the Goat for best new restaurant. Not sure how Charles Phan found himself in the company of Kahan, Danko, and Andres. I'm pulling for the Brombergs on restaurateur... Melman lost it when he lost Gras, IMO. If Sue Zemanick wins, that will be good pub for Top Chef Masters, although she could be eliminated by may. I've met Tory McPhail and really liked him, so I'm pulling for him... plus it's Commander's - DUH.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

My thoughts:
    I'll be pulling for Girl & The Goat b/c I adore that restaurant, but I see Benu taking that award home pretty easily.
    If Patrick Fahy was the pastry chef when I ate at Blackbird last May, he should win it hands down. The best dessert I've ever had in my life.
    Chicago is underrepresented on that list in every possible way.
    Outstanding restaurant category as a whole is disappointing compared to years past.
    Pulling for Merry Edward, as I did last year. Woman can make some juice.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

No comment on Patterson?

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Benu is horrible, but still better than Coi. Or maybe Coi is horrible but still better than Benu. I forget.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Cafe Boulud is a joke. I have no idea why Bell got nominated for anything other than serving over-priced crap.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Benu is horrible, but still better than Coi. Or maybe Coi is horrible but still better than Benu. I forget.
    You're too hard to please. I had some good and some bad at Benu - but the good I had was REALLY good. I would still vote for TGATG over Benu for best new restaurant.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

No comment on Patterson?
    My love/hate relationship with Patterson is interesting.
    I loved him for such a long time.
    Then I ate at his restaurant.
    Now I hate him.

I've only heard good things about Benu. But don't worry--- unlike Coi, I won't send you weekly messages about how great Benu is until we finally go.

8. itsstillmatt

Coi is really a terrible joke. Benu is not a terrible joke, it is just a terrible restaurant.

Joking aside, Benu might be good, it just wasn't when I ate there. I truly believe that Coi is a mean joke perpetrated upon the sad citizens of San Francisco. It is so awful it isn't even funny.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Not sure how Charles Phan found himself in the company of Kahan, Danko, and Andres.
    +1. I ate at Slanted Door 4 months ago and didnt think too much of it

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

For a second there I thought the restaurant in Boston was named Manton

11. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Has anyone been to Torrisi Italian Specialties? If so... was it good?

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    +1. I ate at Slanted Door 4 months ago and didnt think too much of it
    risking the sneer of matt: i think slanted door is a nice place to go, have a few bites, drink some interesting wine and look at the bay. that said, it is a complete mystery to me how it got on that list.
    but that's the way competitions -- and the beards -- are. it's a great honor when you win, but pretty easy to get over when you don't.

13. itsstillmatt

I love Slanted Door. I hate the clientele, in general.

Mixed feelings on Danko. Personally, I know him to be a huge gaping orifice of an asshole, but a lot of people I know and respect think his food is fantastic. I enjoy his restaurant, but can't get passed his personality.

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Has anyone been to Torrisi Italian Specialties? If so... was it good?

I went in February. It was delicious but the service was a bit underwhelming. I went alone, so I got served the two-person menu which was nice, but they overcooked my pasta and forgot to bring one of the courses, so they actually made up for it with an extra course that was off the menu. The best dish they served me was called a "farmer's egg." It was a flat noodle, with a black bean puree, a cilantro pesto, and some other veggies and garnishes. The main course was a pork tenderloin with peppers. It was just alright. It was 5 or 6 courses and came out to only $75 with a tip and a Schlitz beer. :rockstar:

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I love Slanted Door. I hate the clientele, in general. Mixed feelings on Danko. Personally, I know him to be a huge gaping orifice of an asshole, but a lot of people I know and respect think his food is fantastic. I enjoy his restaurant, but can't get passed his personality.
    Is he related to Charlie Trotter?