• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2011 Golden Globes

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gotta love Gervais:
Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes Jokes: Which Crossed The Line? NEW YORK — It's a little early for baseball season, but Ricky Gervais didn't care. Throwing all caution to the wind, the cheeky Brit knocked it out of the park as host of Sunday's 68th Annual Golden Globes, aired on NBC. Back for a second year – and thank goodness for it – Gervais came loaded for bear and wasted no time setting the tone for an awards show recognized as much for its revelry as its prizes. "It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking," he began his monologue, sipping from a glass of what looked like beer. "Or, as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast." He lobbed a compound zinger at nominated film "The Tourist." "I feel bad about that joke," he said after his first gibe. "I'm jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven't even seen 'The Tourist.'" (Beat.) "Who has?" He was just warming up. He went on to assure the audience that "The Tourist" had not been nominated by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association just because its members wanted to hang out with the film's stars, Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. "That is not the only reason," Gervais insisted with a saucy smile. "They also accepted bribes." (A lawsuit filed last week claims the HFPA has engaged in payola schemes for nominations and awards.) Then, having already bitten the hand that was feeding him, Gervais soon bit the HFPA's other hand. He announced that Eva Longoria would be on next with "the daunting task" of introducing HFPA president Philip Berk. "That's nothing," Gervais confided. "I just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in." Unlike most everyone else, Berk was unamused. Before offering his greetings to the audience, Berk, wearing a tight smile, said, "Ricky, next time you want me to help you qualify your movie, go to another guy." "Oooooooooo," went the audience. A bit later, Gervais had doffed his jacket. Look out now! Introducing presenter Robert Downey Jr., Gervais listed a few of the actor's many film credits, then said, "But many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail." Sauntering on stage, Downey took a little bow, then returned the favor, quipping, "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?" The vibe was pretty entertaining, all right. Thanks to Gervais' inspired – and, yes, occasionally scathing – stewardship, the Globes steered clear of the pretension and self-worship to which awards shows so often fall victim. Matt Damon did his part, delivering a respectful but ironically funny tribute to Robert De Niro, recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille Award for career achievement. "I asked around," said Damon, pretending not to be familiar with De Niro's work, "and I was surprised to find that many people consider him to be the greatest actor alive. A lot of you probably don't know this, but the guy's been in like 70 movies." Damon then went on to mis-credit the roles De Niro played in some of his greatest films: "Who could ever forget 'Taxi Driver,' where he was literally unrecognizable as a blond, 13-year-old hooker?" Even De Niro himself, who no one will mistake for a stand-up comic, made a game attempt at humor in his acceptance remarks. "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many of them were deported right before the show," he said. "For the rest of you, I hope your papers are in order, because Homeland Security will be checking them just as soon as they're through with the full-body scans of Megan Fox." Perpetually good-natured Tom Hanks, one of the final presenters, declared, "Like many of you, we recall back when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian." "Neither of which is he now," chimed in co-presenter Tim Allen. Maybe not. But Gervais did his job, and deliciously. Saying goodnight, he thanked everyone, including God, "for making me an atheist." Gervais may have left a few casualties, but he made sure the Globes was a party.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I think I've seen it 3 times since seeing it in the theater. It's one of those movies that's worth buying on DVD. Some films are good, but you just don't want to watch them more than once or twice.

I was thinking the same thing, and I don't own many movies at all.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matik23
Ricky Gervais owned fake ass Hollywood.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

163749_499220784813_96764484813_5847890_2818389_n.jpg
The Art of Successful Trolling.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ haha

It seems as if he could care less either way. He's happy with what he's been doing and I doubt much of that will change. If anything he will be getting all sorts of offers to do movies, TV, interviews etc as a result.

A winrar is Gervais.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought The Social Network was a completely ordinary movie about a guy who's very smart, not all that interesting, and has a life story that we all already mostly knew.

It was a well made movie, but the adulation is fairly surprising. Where's the replay value?

It's the same sort of WTF moment I had when Zuckerberg was named TIME "Person Of The Year", when the only thing he did last year was get a movie made about him. It's not like he's Julian Assange or anything.

That being said, I didn't watch the Golden Globes.

Humperdink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I thought The Social Network was a completely ordinary movie about a guy who's very smart, not all that interesting, and has a life story that we all already mostly knew.

It was a well made movie, but the adulation is fairly surprising. Where's the replay value?

It's the same sort of WTF moment I had when Zuckerberg was named TIME "Person Of The Year", when the only thing he did last year was get a movie made about him. It's not like he's Julian Assange or anything.

It's a topical morality tale, and is destined for steady rotation on TNT after the Green Mile on mid-Sunday afternoons. Black Swan is destined for occasional rotation on IFC, and I'll avoid watching it casually like I do whenever Funny Games or Hard Candy come on. But I know it's a better movie than The Social Network with more "timeless elements" built in. Even within Fincher's oeuvre, what could you see yourself watching five years from now - Fight Club or the Social Network?

Hopefully the Academy Awards follow recent history (about 5-6 years) where they don't select the Globes best picture winner, like last year where they tabbed The Hurt Locker over Avatar.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Humperdink
It's a topical morality tale
Man, really? I didn't really get that at all. What was the moral? Be a genius dickhead, steal someone's idea, throw your friends under the bus, and you'll become a billionaire? (but it won't make you happy)
smile.gif
It's like this generations "It's a Wonderful Life"! haha
... is destined for steady rotation on TNT after the Green Mile on mid-Sunday afternoons. Black Swan is destined for occasional rotation on IFC, and I'll avoid watching it casually like I do whenever Funny Games or Hard Candy come on. But I know it's a better movie than The Social Network with more "timeless elements" built in. Even within Fincher's oeuvre, what could you see yourself watching five years from now - Fight Club or the Social Network?
Fight Club.
Hopefully the Academy Awards follow recent history (about 5-6 years) where they don't select the Globes best picture winner, like last year where they tabbed The Hurt Locker over Avatar.
Jeez. I forgot they gave that trash Best Picture last year. Ugh. No wonder I don't watch or care.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
hahaha, those clips are great... had i known it wasn't going to actually be lame i might have watched.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

agree with this to an extent, in that it just seemed like an average film with not much replay value. i'm not sure if knowing the entire backstory attributed to this but i suppose it is a good recap for history's sake and those that are uninformed.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Humperdink
It's a topical morality tale, and is destined for steady rotation on TNT after the Green Mile on mid-Sunday afternoons. But I know it's a better movie than The Social Network with more "timeless elements" built in. Even within Fincher's oeuvre, what could you see yourself watching five years from now - Fight Club or the Social Network? Hopefully the Academy Awards follow recent history (about 5-6 years) where they don't select the Globes best picture winner, like last year where they tabbed The Hurt Locker over Avatar.
There's something (which has apparently escaped some people) to be valued in taking an idea that's very simple and making it into so much more than it appears to be at first glance. That being said, considering that there are boundaries attached to every idea, you can only take it so far (this film included) - and they took it as far as you could with this picture in a very interesting and engaging way. That's why it has done so well, and will probably do very well at the Oscars.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
There's something (which has apparently escaped some people) to be valued in taking an idea that's very simple and making it into so much more than it appears to be at first glance. That being said, considering that there are boundaries attached to every idea, you can only take it so far (this film included) - and they took it as far as you could with this picture in a very interesting and engaging way. That's why it has done so well, and will probably do very well at the Oscars.
I am really honestly curious as to what exactly this means in regards to this movie. Especially the bolded elements, which are extremely vague. I am asking for an explanation as to why you think you'd want to watch this movie over and over again, and why you think it's so great. You didn't actually explain anything. What was the simple idea, and how did they make it "more"? How did they take whatever it is as far as you could take it? And why was it interesting? What the hell are you talking about?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads