• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2011 Cayman R

tj100

Reaction score
Meh. What's the point? And the tacked-on wing is not doing the car any favors.

turboman808

Reaction score
10 more hp and remove the ac and you got a race car?

Hey porsche throw in technology on par with the GT3 and I will be all over the cayman.

Just another attempt to try and do as little as possible to get a few more buyers.

Porsche aftermarket is where the real fun is. You can have a 500hp cayman with a GT3 suspension for less then 60k and would outrun anything you buy from porsche. Just sayin.

tj100

Reaction score
I can see where some people might prefer the mid-engine platform; but what they should have done is built a Cayman GT3 and priced it accordingly (~$110,000 - $120,000). The question then becomes cannibalization of GT3 sales.

I just don't get what this car is trying to achieve.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. The main advantage is that the R is cheaper compared to a regular Cayman S with similar options (but without the extra HP, the lighter doors, or the Spyder suspension). Maybe it will drive miraculously well, but right now on paper, it doesn't seem very special.

And I don't think you can get a 500HP Cayman with a GT3 suspension for less than $60K.

--Andre

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
And I don't think you can get a 500HP Cayman with a GT3 suspension for less than $60K.

--Andre

Changing out the suspension and adding a turbo will cost ~$12K - $15K and get you to just about 500hp. A car acquisition budget of $45K-$48K won't get you a brand new Cayman, but there are plenty of good used examples in that neighborhood.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, if you're going to get a used car, then less than $60K is possible. TPC Racing's 550HP kit is $14K and the S3 suspension is $7K, or about $21K added to your used car's price. I don't think anyone's found a way to put the GT3 suspension on a Cayman yet, and emissions and reliability are huge questions.

--Andre

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A miss for me, was really hoping for something a bit more special given the model is at its last breath. Rather have the Spyder.

soxpats

Reaction score
I like it. I miss my Cayman, it was a terrific car.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like the color but we need AC in the South.

You can add the AC back in. AC systems are usually pretty light anyway.

--Andre

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
OK, if you're going to get a used car, then less than $60K is possible. TPC Racing's 550HP kit is $14K and the S3 suspension is $7K, or about $21K added to your used car's price. I don't think anyone's found a way to put the GT3 suspension on a Cayman yet, and emissions and reliability are huge questions.

--Andre

Some race team was running a Cayman with GT3 engine and suspension a couple of years ago and dominating the field; Porsche asked them to stop (iirc, Porsche gave them a GT3 RS to quit). From what I've read, any 996/997 engine will fit any Cayman or Boxster is you modify the car's engine mounts to lower the engine a bit.

I don't think emissions or reliability would be an issue - we're talking Porsche standad production parts.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Some race team was running a Cayman with GT3 engine and suspension a couple of years ago and dominating the field; Porsche asked them to stop (iirc, Porsche gave them a GT3 RS to quit). From what I've read, any 996/997 engine will fit any Cayman or Boxster is you modify the car's engine mounts to lower the engine a bit. I don't think emissions or reliability would be an issue - we're talking Porsche standad production parts.
OK, but now you're talking way more than $60K. The GT3 engine won't mate up to the standard Cayman transmissions, which complicates things. Some people have done X51 engine swaps, which are easier, and those are beyond $60K already, with just the engine swap. Emissions is always an issue with turbos, and heat is even worse. The packaging of the Cayman was designed with particular engines in mind, and dumping extra heat (not to mention the extra stress on the motor) is problematic. --Andre

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2012 Porsche Cayman R is one sexy beast!! :O

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never understood the love for porsche. They might perform solidly but they are all hideous looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads