1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

2010 Oscars Threak

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

Honestly, i feel like "The Blind Side" is a big inside joke that i'm not in on. How does a Lifetime channel movie get to the oscars and sandra bullock win an award. I'm 99% convinced that it was all the hype, reviews and awards for that movie were paid for. Even the good clips they show of sandra in that movie were cheesy, lame, and stereotypical. The fake southern sass was awful and michael oher's story was cool for sports fans but hardly a good movie. It's all a big inside joke, right?
    Agreed. No idea how that movie got any awards.
    Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. WTF...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Other than the battle scenes, which were flat-out amazing and supremely groundbreaking, Saving Private Ryan was a pretty mediocre movie. I'm not saying Shakespeare In Love is the sort of movie that would have won any other year, mind you. But I think it deserved the nod over Private Ryan any day.

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

She'll become a mainstay in teen films as the big, ugly girl with the heart of gold. That's all.

Steve Martin is generally quite funny, especially when he is able to display his quick wit. I also just want to say that he f***in' worked excellently with the Mametian verbiage in "˜The Spanish Prisoner'. Why does this guy get so much hate?

Re: the actress, far worse than anything about her appearance are the condescending compliments people throw at her. "Oh, and doesn't she look great!" Token compliments for ugly girls are hilarious. "Her, uh, hair is stunning!" "It's so great to see some nontraditional beauty at the awards!"

Re: Steve Martin, his likability to others is inversely proportionate to how much he likes himself. Not that I don't dig him, he's made some of my favorite movies--but no one loves Steve Martin more than Steve Martin.

My favorite rant:

That rant is dumb as fuck. I'm glad someone who seems to have not even a basic, audience-based concept of the reality of making a movie had a large public forum for discussing movies.

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

i haven't seen the hurt locker, but i think it's one of the dumbest movie titles one could create.

Without trying the 'it's clever if you think about what it says' cliche, I actually like it.

I thought the movie was good all around, but not especially great aside from the editing which was indeed amazing.

I have not seen Avatar, I like Cameron a lot, but it looks like complete and utter tripe. It's great that it didn't win, but I agree the overall quality was weak this year for The Hurt Locker to stand out so much.

'Up' was definitely the best movie I saw in 09.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

I was happy to see Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock recognized. Both turned in phenomenal performances and Jeff was really due.

I enjoyed Avatar but did not feel the storyline was up to Oscar standards or Titanic standards for that matter.

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

You should really watch An Education.

I've wanted to see it for awhile. Missed in in the only theater in town that played it so i guess i'll just have to download it unless the theaters are bringing it back.

I heard someone i know mention this (ex-military) and he kinda has a point. He said that in the 6 acceptance speeches for the oscars The Hurt Locker won, not one person thanked the real life EOD bomb techs whose story made that movie possible. I didn't hear every second of all the speeches so couldn't verify if that was true but if so, that's a little messed up. You figured one of them would've done the whole "those guys are the real heroes" cliche speech. Did not one of them really say anything? I guess if the best picture and director award wasn't so rushed someone would've

6. Jokerman

Jokerman Well-Known Member

One guy mentioned the entire military in Iraq, Afganistan, and the thousands that were injured in his speech.

7. chronoaug

One guy mentioned the entire military in Iraq, Afganistan, and the thousands that were injured in his speech.
    That's good then. I don't know what that dude was saying. Maybe he thought that speech was for the messenger or something. Still think it was sad that oprah and forest whittaker blabbed for as long as the hurt locker got to accept their best picture award Yea, i also thought 09 was kinda week compared to 08 which i enjoyed very much. I liked the hurt locker but wasn't overly thrilled (happy it won though), didn't really like invictus, avatar was kinda cool but more of a fun experience than a great movie, i liked the prohet (need to see that Argentinian film that won now)and others were enjoyable but i didn't like as much as the 08 movies. I still have to see Crazy Heart and An Education though. I like steve martin's old movies and like alec baldwin on snl and 30rock but i just don't think either were funny last night. Most of it is the writing. Baldwin can be a funny actor but he's not a comedian. It seemed supertame writing for them even by oscar standards and they both seemed a little stiff like an oscar exec threatened them if they got out of line. I like the looseness of ricky gervais at the globes or conan at the emmys 2 years ago. Hell, even billy crystal seemed more loose up there

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

I heard someone i know mention this (ex-military) and he kinda has a point. He said that in the 6 acceptance speeches for the oscars The Hurt Locker won, not one person thanked the real life EOD bomb techs whose story made that movie possible. I didn't hear every second of all the speeches so couldn't verify if that was true but if so, that's a little messed up. You figured one of them would've done the whole "those guys are the real heroes" cliche speech. Did not one of them really say anything? I guess if the best picture and director award wasn't so rushed someone would've

?????I saw very little of the Oscars, except the end, but the Director's entire speech (nearly) was about the heros in the US military. Don't know if she mentioned the EOD guys by name, but she clearly was paying respect to the military.

9. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

The writer mentioned all the troops in Afg/Iraq. I did think it was a little disappointing he did not mention the specific unit he was embedded with that basically gave him the outline for his story, but I realize they have basically no time to thank anyone. They were especially shitty to a few winners, even turning off the mic [​IMG]

10. chronoaug

The writer mentioned all the troops in Afg/Iraq. I did think it was a little disappointing he did not mention the specific unit he was embedded with that basically gave him the outline for his story, but I realize they have basically no time to thank anyone. They were especially shitty to a few winners, even turning off the mic [​IMG]
    Oh, i guess that's what he was talking about. Thanking the military in general but not those bomb techs that they based the movie off of. He said they painted all those eod techs like a bunch of crazies with a deathwish and made an award winning movie off their story and then didn't mention them. I dunno. Yea, they did cut a lot of people off but then again, jeff bridges' speech was agonizingly long and rambling. Proud he got his though. It's too bad we couldn't see mickey rourke take one home the year before

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

You know, if you're nominated as a pair/group, don't you think you'd discuss what you might say before you get up there? Like

"Hey Harry, if we win--and I don't want to jinx it but I also don't want to look like an ass on national TV--if we win, I'll go first and thank the academy, studio, director, and my wife. Should take about 10 seconds. Then you get like 10 seconds to thank whoever you want, just try to get the producer in there. That work for you?"

"Yeah, sounds good."

Instead you get one dude prattling on too long about his parents or whatever then before the last of his spittle even hits the mic they're playing them off and the second dude never gets a chance to speak. I appreciated that TBone Burnett just said thanks while his counterpart spewed some crap about love and rainbows. So folksy!

12. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

I thought Baldwin/Maritn were really good. Much better than other hosts in the past, especially Jackman from last year. How about Samuel Jackson's reaction to Monique's speach? I felt the same way.

13. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Totally forgot they were on ... haven't watched in 20 years. Still don't know who/what won.

14. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

Sarah Jessica Parker looks great.
    Always looks like a dead horse.
    Tom Ford's tux is nice.
    I disagree, Tom Ford looked like an amateur designer from "Project Runway" in that super-tight jacket with super-slim sleeves with padded shoulders and looooong pinched waist. Ridiculous! He looked like he was wearing the worst sample of Z-Zegna.
    9:42 pm by Brian R. Fitzgerald I've always found the "Remembrances" portion of the telecast moving but a bit distasteful. Some people get applause, some don't, some more than others. It's like some kind of macabre popularity contest. [/I]
    Why did they skip Farrah Fawcett? Charley's Angel actress died in 2009, WTF?

15. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Why did they skip Farrah Fawcett? Charley's Angel actress died in 2009, WTF?
    They skipped Bea Arthur too.

16. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Fawcett and Arthur were television stars, not movie stars.

Kind of odd that Michael Jackson was included.

17. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

Fawcett and Arthur were television stars, not movie stars. Kind of odd that Michael Jackson was included.
    Farah's been in a number of movies. They just...kind of forgot her. I don't get how people criticize "Hurt Locker" for portraying bomb techs as "crazies." The entire introduction to the movie (with Guy Pearce) showed a methodical, procedural unit. Things only get crazy when Rennick's "crazy new guy" shows up.

18. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

Kate Winslet, will you marry me? [​IMG]
    (yeah, yeah, yeah, married with two kids)

-Jeff

19. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Fawcett and Arthur were television stars, not movie stars. Kind of odd that Michael Jackson was included.
    He was no movie star either. Both Bea and Farrah were in several films FWIW.

20. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

He was no movie star either. Both Bea and Farrah were in several films FWIW.

CAPTAIN E.O., SON. and moonwalker!