1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2010 Oscars Threak

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Mar 7, 2010.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I'd like to thank firemen for the movie I just made about bomb squads.

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Not the biggest fan of the movie myself either, but why don't you just watch it? Do you get off speaking in such a condescending manner? Only asking because you do it a lot.

So my points were untrue or you just feel like hanging on my nuts like always? It's probably one of those movies i'll end up seeing when gathered at a friend's place with people and someone putting it on dvd. Saw gran torino in the same fashion and was disappointed though i'm sure many like that sort of movie. This however was a lifetime channel movie and is still confusing that it made it so big compared to the other nominees.

So did we ever figure out what sean penn was talking about? It's kind of a shame they went so over that they rushed the end of the show so bad. I mean, bigelow was barely forming sentences there at the end so probably for the best but just kind of a shame that we had 15 minutes of rambling about the actors/actresses and then the best picture got like 15seconds at the end.

It wasn't mentioned much in the thread but i martin and baldwin were pretty dreadful imo. I mean, the oscars always go more conservative in the writing, jokes and stuff than the emmys and maybe globes but they were kinda boring.

As much as i'm not a huge stiller fan, i did enjoy his little moment.

3. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Holy shit. I can't take these best actor/actress superlatives. The one for sandra bullock was ridiculous. I think forest whitaker said something along the lines of "the beauty, and intricacies of her magical acting prowess" and it was unreal awful. How come all of these actors are "courageous" which i heard like 2-3 people say. Can't we just describe what the actor/actress did in that movie and then play a clip of them? The fuck. I hope they don't do this every year from now on

+1

I remember some running commentary blog when they were doing this last Academy Awards. Some actress said Anne Hathaway's performance was courageous, and the blogger said, "Yeah, people are dying in Iraq and Anne Hathaway is courageous. She's on a soundstage and she's reading lines... she could die at any time!"

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

So my points were untrue or you just feel like hanging on my nuts?

"Untrue" or not, what significance do they have when you obviously haven't seen the movie in question? Yet another internet critic, I see.

5. suited

suited Senior member

Steve Martin and Ben Stiller were the highlights of the whole thing. I didn't think any of the films were spectacular, but Hurt Locker deserved it.

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Oh dearest Dame Mirren; I would give anything to spend a drunken, passionate weekend in Rio with you.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

This moment of cheese, brought to you by Forrest Whittaker's skeleton:

All in all though, aside from the Sandra Bullock win, which I thought was pretty surprising - but I didn't see any of the Best Actress movies this year, so I can form no real honest opinion - everyone I thought deserved to win, won.

I'm happy for Jeff Bridges too. The dude abides!

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

You should really watch An Education.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

You should really watch An Education.
    I will probably get around to watching all of them eventually. I DO watch like 5-9 movies in an average week. It was more a fluke that I hadn't seen any of them this year than anything else. I'm kinda surprised The White Ribbon didn't win. Also, I think Food Inc. deserved to win over The Cove - but hey, I'm a whale killer, so what do I know? Congrats to Sandra Bullock on her surprising and historical win of both the Razzie and an Oscar in the same year. And to Katherine Bigelow. I'm a huge fan. When she and Cameron got divorced, they split 50/50 - she got all the talent and he got all the special effects.

10. zoorado

zoorado Senior member

Damn. I thought The Prophet was hard to beat. Haven't watched the other nominees though.

11. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Senior member

Did Morgan Freeman win one for Invictus? Or is that next year?

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Did Morgan Freeman win one for Invictus? Or is that next year?

No. Jeff Bridges won for Crazy Heart.

I hate to say it, but as much as I love Morgan Freeman, he's become a little predictable.
    I want to see him take more roles like Fast Black the badass killer pimp from Street Smart.

13. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

penelope cruz, AYE AYE AYE!!!!!!!!!! makin my burrito shimmy
    She's become a permanent fixture at these awards. Can't they see she's a hack? I guess the room is comprised of 85% hacks, so she fits right in.

clooney is eyefucking the hell out of that broad in the red dress
    Clooney needs a haircut. Hair over the ears just isn't his thing.

Everyone knows that gir...er, thing will never do anything in movies again. It makes Ellen Page look versatile.
    She'll become a mainstay in teen films as the big, ugly girl with the heart of gold. That's all.

...It wasn't mentioned much in the thread but i martin and baldwin were pretty dreadful imo.
    Steve Martin is generally quite funny, especially when he is able to display his quick wit. I also just want to say that he f***in' worked excellently with the Mametian verbiage in "˜The Spanish Prisoner'. Why does this guy get so much hate?

I will probably get around to watching all of them eventually. I DO watch like 5-9 movies in an average week. It was more a fluke that I hadn't seen any of them this year than anything else...
    Forget about the Oscar trash and try to see "˜Altiplano' it was the best film last year. Actually, it's probably the best film that decade.

14. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

Glad Avatar didnt take Best Picture, it would have been a dark day for cinema if it had.

15. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Glad Avatar didnt take Best Picture, it would have been a dark day for cinema if it had.
    Yes, good that a real movie won this, and for best director.

And Best Documentary feature winner for a exposè of the life of that often over-looked cousin of the cad and the bounder, The Cove. Marvellous, dear.

16. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

The Argentine film must be pretty good to be considered better than The Prophet, which is fantastic.

17. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

No darker than when Gladiator and Lord of the Rings won best picture. The awards are basically still a joke.
    Must of been a bad year for movies if Hurt Locker won best movie.
    You know nothing.

18. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Watching Avatar ruined my day. I checked the Oscar winners just to make sure it didn't win best picture. I hated everything about the story, and all of the characters in it.

19. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

No darker than when Gladiator and Lord of the Rings won best picture. The awards are basically still a joke.

You know nothing.

Exactly....or worse...

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. WTF...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, WWTDD had a pretty funny liveblog of the Oscars.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2010/03/the-82n...g/#more-523051

My favorite rant:

20. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i haven't seen the hurt locker, but i think it's one of the dumbest movie titles one could create.