• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Thread

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know we have a Ice Hockey thread...but its been dead for most of December and now that Team USA has officially unveiled their roster, what say you?

Obviously Canada will be favored for Gold, but Russia will be tough, especially with a lot of KHL players on the team...lots of unknowns.

Will be nice to see Jaromir Jagr bak on North American ice...but the Czechs don't look hot overall.

I don't think Lundqvist will stay in goal for the Swedes the whole time...just still not convinced he's THAT good.

dganderson

Reaction score
I've got to go with my home country on this, Canada for Gold.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
canada-gold-medal.jpg

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Here is the real difference maker I see in making Canada the favourite.

Nash Crosby Bergeron
Marleau Thornton Heatley
Getzlaf Staal Perry
Toews Richards Iginla

Weber Keith
Pronger Niedermayer
Doughty Boyle

Brodeur
Luongo

When you look at the opposition's lines, you want your best shut down pairing against the top line. In this case, Rick Nash, Sidney Crosby and probably Patrice Bergeron. Then you want your second unit to handle the second scoring line - here, that's Marleau, Thornton and Heatley. That alone will be tough, because for the most part, defensive depth drops off after the top two d-men for just about every country, including Russia, and that's the top scoring line in the NHL right now, which already has all the chemistry it needs to be a force. But the real problem is this: you need your third d-pairing to deal with the third line. Canada's third line is Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Eric Staal.
That is a MASSIVE line. Literally. They are big, strong, and protect the puck as well as anyone in the world. Look at the third defensive pairings for these other teams. How can they possibly hope to contend with that line? How can Fedor Tyutin and the now-40-year-old Sergei Zubov stop those guys from barging in front and smashing rebounds into the goal?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone else is playing for silver.
smile.gif

chrome_dout

Reaction score
I would have to go with Team Canada in getting the gold. But with the way the junior US squads are playing, it may only be a matter of time before we see a lot of spectacular Canada - USA matches at the Olympic level.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That Jr match up last night was epic. Looking at that Canadian roster, I shake...the only spot where I see potential weakness is in goal...lol.

Do you think they'll pair Pronger and Neidermeyer? If so, then perhaps the back line isn't as strong, but thats just when you compare it to the fwd lines...so prob not saying much...

Well, there was always 96...

jesask

Reaction score
I hate Pronger. As dirty as they get. That being said...I am happy he is on my team.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Here is the real difference maker I see in making Canada the favourite.

Nash Crosby Bergeron
Marleau Thornton Heatley
Getzlaf Staal Perry
Toews Richards Iginla

Weber Keith
Pronger Niedermayer
Doughty Boyle

Brodeur
Luongo

When you look at the opposition's lines, you want your best shut down pairing against the top line. In this case, Rick Nash, Sidney Crosby and probably Patrice Bergeron. Then you want your second unit to handle the second scoring line - here, that's Marleau, Thornton and Heatley. That alone will be tough, because for the most part, defensive depth drops off after the top two d-men for just about every country, including Russia, and that's the top scoring line in the NHL right now, which already has all the chemistry it needs to be a force. But the real problem is this: you need your third d-pairing to deal with the third line. Canada's third line is Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Eric Staal.
That is a MASSIVE line. Literally. They are big, strong, and protect the puck as well as anyone in the world. Look at the third defensive pairings for these other teams. How can they possibly hope to contend with that line? How can Fedor Tyutin and the now-40-year-old Sergei Zubov stop those guys from barging in front and smashing rebounds into the goal?

Zubov got left off the Russian roster. But I have it like this:

Gold: Canada
Silver: Russia
Bronze: USA

Canada's team is just too nasty, they have it all. Every line is a threat. I think that they snubbed Brad Richards and Stamkos though. We will have to see what happens.

Originally Posted by chrome_dout
I would have to go with Team Canada in getting the gold. But with the way the junior US squads are playing, it may only be a matter of time before we see a lot of spectacular Canada - USA matches at the Olympic level.
Agreed. I think that USA hockey has so many young and upcoming players that it will make us compete for a long time.

Originally Posted by jesask
I hate Pronger. As dirty as they get. That being said...I am happy he is on my team.

I'm just glad he's on my Flyers
smile.gif

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with the growing concensus, but I think Russia will go all the way. It probably has the strongest offensive lineup in history, a solid defense, and a good set of goalies. JD, you have it backward, how is Team Canada going to shut the Russian O down?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Sorry to disagree with the growing concensus, but I think Russia will go all the way. It probably has the strongest offensive lineup in history, a solid defense, and a good set of goalies. JD, you have it backward, how is Team Canada going to shut the Russian O down?

Pronger KILLING the Gr8? If he did that, would Team Canada be able to replace him with Phaneuf, or would they have to finish with 6 d-men? Not that Pronger would actually kill him, but whats the rule about replacing a suspended player?

The problem with the Ruskies is that there are a few players there who are KHL...these guys are not playing at an NHL level...perhaps even AHL. The style of game, on the smaller ice, will be distinctly North American, and the guys in the K won't be able to adapt quickly enough.

I'm disappointed Jordan Staal didn't make the team...he's so underrated.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
The problem with the Ruskies is that there are a few players there who are KHL...these guys are not playing at an NHL level...perhaps even AHL.

You mean like Sergei Fedorov???? Team Canada left a few experienced players off the list. They will be missed.

Actually, the NHL blueliner who defends Ovie best is Chara.

jesask

Reaction score
I saw the US juniors play Canada on New Years Eve when I was in Saskatoon over the holidays. I am a horrible homer but I was really impressed with that American team. Good team speed and some defencemen who aren't afraid to join the attack. Them made some of the Canadians look foolish.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Who is the russian offense? One line, plus Kovalchuk? No defence whatsoever? Kovalev and Fedorov, two of the best players in the world ten years ago? Alexei Yashin and Morozov are even on the team. I think the USA is a better team than Russia because they're actually a hockey team, not a lineup of power play units. When it comes down to it international tournaments are about who plays better on a single given day, so anything can happen, but I have a lot of difficulty believing you can play offense constantly and not get absolutely lit up by the opposition, be it Canada or the US or Sweden or the Slovaks (who have a similar problem). Go ahead, put 50 pucks toward the net and send your d-men into every rush, and give the lines I posted above multiple odd-man rushes every period. Let me know how that works out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads