1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2010 Lexus LF-A

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by RFX45, Sep 30, 2009.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

But the best part of the IS-F are the cool stacked exhausts... that aren't even connected. I guess there's no option for that: [​IMG]

They introduced the faux exhaust pipe on the LS. 100 percent wanker design, and yet another reason why that company just doesn't get it.

--Andre

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Well hell, with a few mods the M3 can destroy plenty of sports cars that cost a lot more. That wasn't the point though, the point is Lexus' first entry to the sports car segment is a success and it has turned a few heads. Lexus brought what most did not expect from them. Like I said, if you match-up the price of the M3 and ISF feature for feature, M3 will probably cost $10k more so to those who are looking for more comfort, luxury and speed for the money, Lexus is a good choice and probably the best choice right now. I believe it is still the cheapest choice and the one that could be discounted the most.

I agree, it turned mine, and I still very much like the look of them. Would never drive one, as I am very happy with my current car, but yes, they did a great job and if I had to drive a Lexus, it'd be that one.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Well, the M3 costs the same optioned out if you don't get DSG, which I'm guessing more people than not would do, and would actually swing some people towards the BMW over the Lexus' forced auto transmission, which is why I see the Lexus competing more with the older AMGs. Also, the limited choices for leather options and paint colors might sway people over to MB or BMW. I'm all for competition, and they did a decent job for their first time in the segment. The thing with the LF-A, which likely makes it a more serious competitor, is that it is not based on an existing model and is going to be their purpose built supercar. Unlike the IS-F which, as you pointed out, is laden with options due to it being a suped up IS built to compete with M, AMG, S/RS models. But the best part of the IS-F are the cool stacked exhausts... that aren't even connected. I guess there's no option for that: [​IMG]

Geez, I guess some people are just there to bash a certain brand. I mean you talk like the M, AMG and S/RS series aren't suped up versions of their lesser car; ie: A-Series, C-Class and 3-Series. I think if they want to test the waters for interest in a Lexus sports car, suping up an IS is the best idea instead of throwing a new coupe out there with a V8 engine, those could all come later.

And again, your argument of "people will most likely prefer this option over the other" isn't the whole point. I have said money-wise, ISF is the bargain car out there. It is easy to say "if a car enthusiast really want a sports car, spend $20k more and get a GTR and forget all the heated seats, M badge and all these luxury items." It's understandable though, kind of like every time a new sports car comes out, it is compared to the GTR and it's price. "Why buy an R8 when a GTR will kick it's ass for half the price?" Like the GTR, M3 has become like Michale Jordan, every one is compared to him and has become the best out there so every one has to top them to get any recognition. I mean really, Audi and MB has been trying for decades and still barely scratched the surface so the ISF getting as close as they did is good.

I agree, the faux quad exhaust is somewhat stupid but it really isn't that bad. It is actually more customizable friendly with new kits as you don't have to worry about fitting in the exhaust. I mean hate all you want but it has taken a few sales away from the M3.

4. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Geez, I guess some people are just there to bash a certain brand. I mean you talk like the M, AMG and S/RS series aren't suped up versions of their lesser car; ie: A-Series, C-Class and 3-Series. I think if they want to test the waters for interest in a Lexus sports car, suping up an IS is the best idea instead of throwing a new coupe out there with a V8 engine, those could all come later.
    No, if you read carefully, I was saying the LF-A has a better chance at impressing than the IS-F because it's a purpose built supercar, not a suped up version of an existing model. However, on that topic, yes, M/AMG/RS cars are suped up versions of existing models, but done properly -- they offer different luxury and performance options not available on the regular cars for the consumer to choose. Lexus decided to go the route of more is better, taking a loaded IS, putting on a body kit and big engine, and selling it as a "performance" model. Again, this reminds me of the old AMGs.
    And again, your argument of "people will most likely prefer this option over the other" isn't the whole point. I have said money-wise, ISF is the bargain car out there. It is easy to say "if a car enthusiast really want a sports car, spend $20k more and get a GTR and forget all the heated seats, M badge and all these luxury items." It's understandable though, kind of like every time a new sports car comes out, it is compared to the GTR and it's price. "Why buy an R8 when a GTR will kick it's ass for half the price?" Like the GTR, M3 has become like Michale Jordan, every one is compared to him and has become the best out there so every one has to top them to get any recognition. I mean really, Audi and MB has been trying for decades and still barely scratched the surface so the ISF getting as close as they did is good.
    I would say the argument that the IS-F is a "bargain" clearly isn't 100% true based on the pricing above since it's at most a $5k difference, whereas your earlier beliefs were that it would be 8-10k more, and it still depends on how someone wants to option their M3. Personally, I think people prefer the ability to choose what they want and don't want, and to have more choices, than being forced to pay for things they might not want.
    I agree, the faux quad exhaust is somewhat stupid but it really isn't that bad. It is actually more customizable friendly with new kits as you don't have to worry about fitting in the exhaust. I mean hate all you want but it has taken a few sales away from the M3.
    Well, that's just being an apologist for poor construction.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The way you stated your statement, it seemed like you were saying the M3 was a completely different car that was made from scratch. You even said right now that the ISF is a just an IS with a bigger engine., which isn't true. it has an 8-speed auto tranny, bigger brakes, better suspension, bigger wheels, new exhaust, etc... Are you really going to tell me the M3 isn't just a new body kit, bigger engine, better suspension, bigger breaks, new tranny, etc... come to think of it, the tranny is probably the same used in the 335 (not sure though).

I don't know about picking every little option but I think having all the standard features is better than having barely any. I know I do. It also works with Nissan Altima coupe, most of their options are 1-2 at most and are a package.

My belief that the price difference is $8k-$10k also comes from the fact that the M3 coupe and convertible are an option M3 buyers could choose from. Look into those options and the price difference jumps but I know we are talking about the sedans. But if you really want to get to the nitty-gritty of things, you can get a much higher discount on the ISF than that of the M3 so either way, you will be paying much more for the M3. I just tried building a fully loaded ISF at Lexus.com and a fully loaded M3 at BMWUSA.com and the M3 sedan came up to about $70k ($72k with M double clutch tranny) and the ISF came to about $62k, that is an $8k-$10k difference. Even the split back seat is an option that has to be purchased from BMW, the same with the moonroof. Yeah I know who cares about the split backseat but you got to admit, BMW is more expensive and there really isn't anything wrong with that, that is just how Lexus wins most of their customers, drivers enthusiast or not. The same with Infiniti and Acura. The Japanese car companies are just giving more for a cheaper price compared to their German counter part.

6. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

The way you stated your statement, it seemed like you were saying the M3 was a completely different car that was made from scratch. You even said right now that the ISF is a just an IS with a bigger engine., which isn't true. it has an 8-speed auto tranny, bigger brakes, better suspension, bigger wheels, new exhaust, etc... Are you really going to tell me the M3 isn't just a new body kit, bigger engine, better suspension, bigger breaks, new tranny, etc... come to think of it, the tranny is probably the same used in the 335 (not sure though).

Again, I never denied M/AMG/S models aren't suped up versions, but are done better, likely due to years of being in the segment, and provide more options.

I don't know about picking every little option but I think having all the standard features is better than having barely any. I know I do. It also works with Nissan Altima coupe, most of their options are 1-2 at most and are a package.

Sure, with an Altima, it's great to have lots of features standard, but when you start talking about performance cars, even including the likes of Porsches and Ferraris, having a la carte options is going to be preferred, because it allows your non-enthusiast to create a more luxurious sports car while giving your enthusiast buyer the option to have a car with few options. It also allows people to have a more personalized car -- if you're going to drop $70k+ on a car, it's nice to have lots of options to make it "your car."

My belief that the price difference is $8k-$10k also comes from the fact that the M3 coupe and convertible are an option M3 buyers could choose from. Look into those options and the price difference jumps but I know we are talking about the sedans. But if you really want to get to the nitty-gritty of things, you can get a much higher discount on the ISF than that of the M3 so either way, you will be paying much more for the M3. I just tried building a fully loaded ISF at Lexus.com and a fully loaded M3 at BMWUSA.com and the M3 sedan came up to about $70k ($72k with M double clutch tranny) and the ISF came to about $62k, that is an $8k-$10k difference. Even the split back seat is an option that has to be purchased from BMW, the same with the moonroof. Yeah I know who cares about the split backseat but you got to admit, BMW is more expensive and there really isn't anything wrong with that, that is just how Lexus wins most of their customers, drivers enthusiast or not. The same with Infiniti and Acura. The Japanese car companies are just giving more for a cheaper price compared to their German counter part.

Well, see, that's where you're not pricing and comparing properly as I did above. Like I said, the IS-F is fully loaded and actually offers buyers very little options -- Nav/upgrade sound, 6 metallic color choices, and only 2 interior leather choice... that's it. The BMW has was a lot more options, which is why a fully loaded one will give you a higher price. In fact, it has options that the Lexus doesn't offer as an option or standard on the IS-F. The split back fold down seat you mention that is an option with the BMW is neither available as an option or standard with the Lexus, along with the M3's headlight washers, electronic dampening control, power folding mirrors, power rear sunshade, auto high beams, and park distance control.

7. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yes, it's really that ugly:

http://jalopnik.com/5386057/lexus-lf...tely-uncovered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

11. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Yes, it's really that ugly:

http://jalopnik.com/5386057/lexus-lf...tely-uncovered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

I don't think it necessarily ugly, but it is completely lacking in grace. On a positive note, that interior is not only cool, but definately driver oriented.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Stoops, looks like it should be in an import night with undercarriage neon and booming subwoofers

13. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I don't think it necessarily ugly, but it is completely lacking in grace.

It's a Lexus, what the fuck did you expect?

14. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

A $400k Lexus too.

15. Southern-Nupe

That's the thing, Lexus's are actually somewhat graceful in design (excluding the SC and their line of SUV's). In fact, they are almost too graceful, bordering on slightly boring. However, this is something somewhat similar to what you would see in a Fast and Furious flick.

16. Southern-Nupe

A $400k Lexus too.
    I've heard conficting reports on price, but I really hope they don't try to price this thing at 400 grand. At that price, this has better be one of the fastest, best handling cars available. I could actually understand the 100-150k range, but at anything over 200k, you're really starting to open up to criticism. It'll still be interesting to see what this car will do.

17. phunt

phunt Member

Uhmmm... The number is $400K. Taking orders now. 500 cars over 2 years then poof, it's gone

18. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

I've heard conficting reports on price, but I really hope they don't try to price this thing at 400 grand. At that price, this has better be one of the fastest, best handling cars available. I could actually understand the 100-150k range, but at anything over 200k, you're really starting to open up to criticism.

It'll still be interesting to see what this car will do.

I heard that they will limit production to 500, which is why they have the "premium" pricing. I would agree that this car should be 175k at the highest, with 125-150k being acceptable.

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

20. Southern-Nupe

Those are some great pics. From some angles it looks pretty interesting, while at others it appears somewhat over-designed and awkward.

Atleast I can say it's not Toyota/Lexus boring.