1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2010 Fashion Styles for my clothing line

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jjsham, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jjsham

jjsham New Member

hey everybody! I am new to the forum. I have been steadily working on a new clothing line I am launching in the Fall of 2010. I am constantly doing research but still cannot find a good site or source that predicts and shows the upcoming fashion styles that designers go by. Also, if any of you have any advice on having a theme for each season. Anything helps, I am starting with graphic tees and hoodies, will be abstract images, vintage. thanks!

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

*sigh*

Since I think this is a more than reasonable question, all the sarcastic crap that was once here has been deleted, and I've moved the thread to MC.

Not everything around here has to be a DT.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Animal prints are always in.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

*sigh*

Since I think this is a more than reasonable question, all the sarcastic crap that was once here has been deleted, and I've moved the thread to MC.

Animal prints are always in.

oh, I'm sorry...perhaps you thought I wasn't talking to you. Allow me to correct you. Yes. I. Fucking. Was.

How to irritate a moderator...step 1....watch him waste his time cleaning up a thread of crap and post a 'keep this place crap free' post. Step 2. Insert crap right underneath it.

Seriously, are you that stupid?

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

hey everybody! I am new to the forum. I have been steadily working on a new clothing line I am launching in the Fall of 2010. I am constantly doing research but still cannot find a good site or source that predicts and shows the upcoming fashion styles that designers go by. Also, if any of you have any advice on having a theme for each season. Anything helps, I am starting with graphic tees and hoodies, will be abstract images, vintage. thanks!

I think basics that don't go out of style are a better option. At least you can promise consistency season to season.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

*sigh*

Given the posters plan to offer hoodies and graphic tees, shouldn't you have moved this to SW? I think they'd take it a bit more seriously.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

Fair point. Done.

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

You know our track record for graphic tee companies, right?

But if you're talking about starting a real line, prepare for hard times (we just lost Michael J. Krell, doesn't bode well). It's going to take you longer than a few months to start it up unless you plan to just do a construction-in-house not-for-sale showing (you'd need to get a green light from a creditor, draft patterns, look at fabrics, consult factories, consult retailers, etc.).

Just looking at what other people do and copying them is not making your own line, it's doing what Urban Outfitters does. Go to a fashion school (chances are you aren't getting into Antwerp, CSM, Parsons, RISD, etc. but you can still take a few courses to learn about patterns and figures and blah, blah, blah if you still feel it transfer up)

As for inspiration, best thing is to make what you like and what really connects with you. A few guys on Stylezeitgeist have posted some work (some solo and some from fashion schools)

Mainly, don't think of it as a quick way to make a buck.

9. kevinbrownshakedown

kevinbrownshakedown Well-Known Member

Designers find inspiration everywhere. If you don't know this, you are clearly not a designer of any kind, be it fashion or otherwise. They don't just go to a website that shows them what's going to be hot next season. If you want to look at other designer's stuff, men.style.com has pictures of every big runway show for years and years.

10. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

If you're looking at what's being shown now for inspiration, you're already, by default, at least two seasons behind.

11. 3eyes

3eyes Member

They make books that predict the trends for the future. But they happen to cost like $3000.

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'll buy anything if it comes with a free samurai sword.

13. gt33

gt33 Senior member

im actually starting up a new denim line with my boy called Crisp denim, its got hand dipped, indigo raw japanese selvege...70's inspired shit

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

oh, I'm sorry...perhaps you thought I wasn't talking to you. Allow me to correct you. Yes. I. Fucking. Was.

How to irritate a moderator...step 1....watch him waste his time cleaning up a thread of crap and post a 'keep this place crap free' post. Step 2. Insert crap right underneath it.

Seriously, are you that stupid?

lol who is this guy

15. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

lol who is this guy

He's a mod for the forum

16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

He's a mod for the forum

very astute observation

17. Matt

Matt Senior member

lol who is this guy
    I highly recommend acquainting yourself with management and situations before poking fun at either, but I will answer you. This was originally posted in General Chat. It is a fair question. Six members then proceeded to post all manner of sarcastic crap which was of no value to the discussion, and not remotely funny.

Things mods talk about among themselves:
    How it sucks when people do that and drags the whole place down.

So, I make the effort to clean it up, move it to where it will get more relevant attention, and post it 'did you have to' message.

Three minutes after that, someone is right back in with more.

Now...if you had a day job and a company to run, and donated your time to the management of this place...spent 15 minutes of a busy morning working on something like that...and three minutes later, someone decides to shit it up again, how would you respond?

The fact of the matter is that modding this place is thankless work, that takes more time than people appreciate, and opens yourself up to a ton of crap for no benefit whatsoever, but we do it regardless.

We are not hard to get along with - none of us - but jesus, when we take the time to do something, provide an explanation that says 'don't do that' and three minutes later someone is right back in there again, you bet your ass it annoys us.

18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I highly recommend acquainting yourself with management and situations before poking fun at either, but I will answer you. This was originally posted in General Chat. It is a fair question. Six members then proceeded to post all manner of sarcastic crap which was of no value to the discussion, and not remotely funny.

So, I make the effort to clean it up, move it to where it will get more relevant attention, and post it 'did you have to' message.

Now...if you had a day job and a company to run, and donated your time to the management of this place...spent 15 minutes of a busy morning working on something like that...and three minutes later, someone decides to shit it up again, how would you respond?

The fact of the matter is that modding this place is thankless work, that takes more time than people appreciate, and opens yourself up to a ton of crap for no benefit whatsoever, but we do it regardless.

We are not hard to get along with - none of us - but jesus, when we take the time to do something, provide an explanation that says 'don't do that' and three minutes later someone is right back in there again, you bet your ass it annoys us.

lmao

19. 29.97

29.97 Well-Known Member

This is getting good.

20. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

lmao
    +1 also how is a give me inspiration for my fall 2010 line a real question... its just hilarious