• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 Cleaning, steaming and storage thread

rjt65

Reaction score
Hello all:

So moving to a new job from telecommuting for last 8-12 years, with a major wardrobe update. Purge out old lesser clothes, in with the new.

Gabardine-Wool dress pants, sport coats, shirts and new shoes.

Anyway, searching and finding various threads on here from the past 4 or so years recommending the jiffy esteam steamer, Kent clothes brush (ordered) and various discussions on how to properly hang pants. I wanted to see if we can collect updated product info suggestions to:

- steam pants, suits, sport coats, (lots of info on how to steam-what to steam in here thanks all) is the Jiffy still the best?

- How to hang suits or hang pants (over the bar by the cuff-suggested?) hangars and where to buy to do so?

Any other cleaning or storage tips updated from existing threads? I don't think the process is changed but maybe some new products out there to help

thanks all!

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the best way to store Cashmere - is to vacuum bag and freeze.
The Freezing kills the Moth Larvae(?).
Sounds bizarre - though I have a vacuum machine at work - may test it out on an old sweater first...

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
A trip to the dry cleaners and then hang the garments up in the closet. Make sure to put a can of moth balls below.

Sheesh.

rjt65

Reaction score
Most peeps say NO to Dry Cleaning--or maybe only when stained if you cannot get it off, or once a year. Thus my sojourn into getting better products for self maint. for cloth care
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
A trip to the dry cleaners and then hang the garments up in the closet. Make sure to put a can of moth balls below. Sheesh.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Be sure to keep your steamer away from the seams of your suit coats.

rjt65

Reaction score
+1 yep and thankya---

I would just use on the back and arms when wrinkled, going with an iron first.

thinking of buying some cotton handkerchiefs or thin towels cotton) to use as an overlay for pants and suits...

Originally Posted by LaoHu
Be sure to keep your steamer away from the seams of your suit coats.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any washing machine recommendations? Mine needs replacing soon.

I like the velocity steam iron, less expensive then the rowenta but far better quality. This puts out even steam at every heat level, with no drips of water, it has enough heat settings to iron silk or steam press pants.

I've used it on 7 shirts and 7 pants per week for 6 months with no issues. I also use it on jackets, but its more rare for me to steam iron a jacket.

rjt65

Reaction score
Are you using the 1500 or 1800 watt Velocity model?

and better than... ??? the france made separate tank Rowenta? I am thinking you might be comparing to a standard Rowenta team iron?

the Rowenta made in France
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...team-Generator

here is the Amazon link for the 1500 velocity..some user issue but only 4 reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Reliable-V95-D...DateDescending

thanks for your experience!

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Any washing machine recommendations? Mine needs replacing soon.

I like the velocity steam iron, less expensive then the rowenta but far better quality. This puts out even steam at every heat level, with no drips of water, it has enough heat settings to iron silk or steam press pants.

I've used it on 7 shirts and 7 pants per week for 6 months with no issues. I also use it on jackets, but its more rare for me to steam iron a jacket.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, using the velocioty 1500. Great steam iron! I had a Rowenta ($200 model) and that thing was in the trash in 6mo because of an internal failure that didnt allow it to heat the iron anymore.

From day 1 when it was "working" it dripped water on the clothes and often made ironing a PITA.

rjt65

Reaction score
the rowenta have that issue and most say it is the ones made in China.

the preceding think 5030 model around 200 with separate tank had some issues- made in china---

so some-most were ok but advice given was to stick with models made elsewhere as the people reported qual control on Chinese units were having issues.

cheers

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Yes, using the velocioty 1500. Great steam iron! I had a Rowenta ($200 model) and that thing was in the trash in 6mo because of an internal failure that didnt allow it to heat the iron anymore.

From day 1 when it was "working" it dripped water on the clothes and often made ironing a PITA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads