• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 BMW 5-series

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Most luxury cars are leased, people in that income bracket/demographic don't drive decade old cars. Those percentages are in line with Audi, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz, last I heard. Edit: Here's a list I found - BMW 7 Series – 85.3 percent Saab 9-7x – 82.2 percent Audi A6 – 74.1 percent BMW Z4 – 70.7 percent Mercedes E-class – 70 percent Range Rover – 69.6 percent BMW 6 Series – 68.6 percent Audi A4/S4 – 68 percent BMW X3 – 67.3 percent Jaguar XJ – 65.8 percent
I chuckled.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually think that the new 5 is, overall, uglier than the old one--and the old one wasn't very attractive either. It's far too bulbous and round. The best-looking BMWs have always been the ones with very austere exteriors that look like they've been pulled down tight over the chassis. This thing looks like a Hyundai. Especially the headlights. What is with everyone these days and irregular, scalloped, amoeba-esque light forms?

TDOT

Reaction score
I went to the BMW Innovation Drive today, and got to boot about in the new 550i (They officially release on Tuesday here, so we got to drive in 1 of the only 6 registered in the country) and it wasn't that bad of a drive. The car feels more nimble now than the previous model, and given the fact that it's shape is more like a 3 series, it feels like less of a boat to drive compared to the previous model. (I'm still a 335 coupe guy though)

Shot one pic with my camera phone:

Got to test out the new 335d as well. The crew were hyping up the torque over the regular 3, I wasnt that impressed. But the fuel economy is something to behold. 5.9L/100km (I'm in Canada.)

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I actually think that the new 5 is, overall, uglier than the old one--and the old one wasn't very attractive either. It's far too bulbous and round. The best-looking BMWs have always been the ones with very austere exteriors that look like they've been pulled down tight over the chassis. This thing looks like a Hyundai. Especially the headlights. What is with everyone these days and irregular, scalloped, amoeba-esque light forms?

fuel economy and safety regs FTW?
facepalm.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
fuel economy and safety regs FTW?
facepalm.gif

Of course, concerns for fuel economy (perceived, at least) and safety regulations influenced the current model. That doesn't change the fact that it is more bloated than the last.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Of course, concerns for fuel economy (perceived, at least) and safety regulations influenced the current model. That doesn't change the fact that it is more bloated than the last.

I'm not disagreeing... (maybe a little, I don't think "bloated" is the word I'd use exactly). But it's too bad that just about every car these days looks like a Toyo-Hun-Da derivative due to "front impact safety etc...

I'd probably buy this bugger just on the "different" principle...

2011-Ford-Start-Concept-Image-01-800.jpg

or gimme an A7:

844bd_13792.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best-looking sedan I've seen recently is the Volkswagen CC. Everything on that car looks balanced and just right.

--Andre

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the new E63... minus the raised rear haunches, I think the car could do completely without them, but they do make better design sense on the coupe version. I like the new multi-faceted modern look, it looks very 'digital' with the string of LEDs, and the healthy uprightness of the rear windshield over the square trunk, and the new forged wheels.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The best-looking sedan I've seen recently is the Volkswagen CC. Everything on that car looks balanced and just right.

--Andre

I pondered the CC (I have a Passat now) but when you get the all-wheel drive you might as well be the much prettier A5 for the price.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or gimme an A7:

844bd_13792.jpg

I saw what I think was the new A8 today, it was gorgeous albeit very similar to the A4. I'd like to see an A7, it looks better in the pic than the A8.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I saw what I think was the new A8 today, it was gorgeous albeit very similar to the A4. I'd like to see an A7, it looks better in the pic than the A8.

Oh yeah? I've only seen it at a car show and what must have been a test car as they're not out until Fall IIRC. I don't think they look much like the 4... that front grill being the giveaway. Or I should say, that at least I think there is more differentiation between 4-6-8 than between BMW's 3-5-7 (which has long been the complaint).

I think that pic of the 7 is a mock-up. At any rate- would take it if not for the $$$
laugh.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yeah? I've only seen it at a car show and what must have been a test car as they're not out until Fall IIRC. I don't think they look much like the 4... that front grill being the giveaway. Or I should say, that at least I think there is more differentiation between 4-6-8 than between BMW's 3-5-7 (which has long been the complaint). I think that pic of the 7 is a mock-up. At any rate- would take it if not for the $$$
laugh.gif

True, it's not in the U.S. until fall. I saw it outside the U.S.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rumor has it that the new Audi 7 will also come (in the future) in an RS7 config with 500+ horsepower
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads