• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 BMW 5-series

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
no E28 shoutouts in this thread, which is odd, because I thought people always liked them. I plan to have a nice E12 or E28 someday (hopefully sooner than later, since they are all rotting to pieces) and they were one of the first cars I ever really fell in love with, my uncle had a black one in the '80s.

Something like this (which would be US importable now)
http://ucar.autos.yahoo.co.jp/detail...00CU0004581498

I don't think I've ever seen one of these on the road.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I don't think I've ever seen one of these on the road.

You wouldn't - I don't think we get many Alpinas here, aside from the BMW-sanctioned watered-down versions like the Z8 and a type of 7-series. There was an E28 Alpina for sale on 6-speed not too long ago, though.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've seen three of the new 5er sedans on the road now in my city, plus a BMW swirly wrapped test mule version, twice recently (wasn't the new M5 as it only had the tiny pea shooter exhaust on the left side and normal lower vents, perhaps a hybrid test car or something) Not sure what to think of them yet, but they do look as they are presented in photos. It's not an offensive design, but it's not particularly exciting either.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I've seen three of the new 5er sedans on the road now in my city, plus a BMW swirly wrapped test mule version, twice recently (wasn't the new M5 as it only had the tiny pea shooter exhaust on the left side and normal lower vents, perhaps a hybrid test car or something) Not sure what to think of them yet, but they do look as they are presented in photos. It's not an offensive design, but it's not particularly exciting either.
I'm anxious to see the car. I think it'll look much better than the current generation. The pics make it look good.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not care for the last version of the 5. I sold my 2000 5 series years ago and had no interest in moving to the new body -- so I elected to purchase a 6 series, which looks as good to me today as the day I bought it.

I've not seen many of the '10 5 series on the road. It harkens back to the older body style, which I favor. I do not care for the GT hatchback, which I have seen in person. It seems to take the car back to it's mistaken bulky and oversized look that the prior body style possessed.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I do not care for the GT hatchback, which I have seen in person. It seems to take the car back to it's mistaken bulky and oversized look that the prior body style possessed.
I've seen the GT as well, and I don't like it either. I know that it's very practical, but I can't get used to the looks of it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Saw another sedan today. I am not used to seeing these cars yet, so with the new all-red tails in the much softened 'L' shape, I keep thinking they're Infiniti M's when in lighter colors, like silver. I'm not sure I like how dark the tails are, as I've grown accustomed to BMWs having that fairly bright red taillamp color, and these new ones have much darker LED rows like on the new 7. From the back, the new 5er doesn't look like a BMW. The E60 was a bit avant garde but still looked like it belonged to the family, at least.

nightmair

Reaction score
I actually liked the last gen 5 series, and think this one looks quite odd, guess its a matter of taste.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nightmair
I actually liked the last gen 5 series, and think this one looks quite odd, guess its a matter of taste.
I'm still on the prowl for seeing the new 5 IRL. I haven't seen one locally or in the larger cities that I've visited recently. I think I might like this one.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it looks horrid. Last year's 550 was off the chain.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I assume it's still a fantastic car to drive, but I really don't care for this new styling. It's all watered down and blah. I wasn't a huge fan of the last revision, but I really don't understand the love that's heaped on the E39. I always thought it looked terrible.

I liked the E34. Of course, I'm biased, as I drove one.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ They did do a good job of M-tarting that car up. I'm mildly excited to see what the optional M-sport version of this new 5 will look like, those cars are always nice looking at least. Most people don't need the V10 anyway.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I think the E46 is my favorite looking 3 series. I hated the bangel butt design on the last 5 series.....

Currently drive an E30 3 series, all though I think it looked great for the late 80's, and drives amazing well, its showing its age, although a great modern classic. Kind of want to move to a full-size car. Having to many 5-6 people want to go along, and that doesn't work to well in a 3 series, and at that an 80's 4 door 3 series.

Not really into SUV's or Vans. Mostly luxury cars.

I think this redesign in a step in the right direction.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I think it looks horrid. Last year's 550 was off the chain.
Glad to know, I'm not the only to find the previous 550 nice looking. People make it sound as if it was the 2nd coming of a Pontiac Aztek.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outgoing 550 sport is an awesome car.

I saw a new 550 on the road and was completely underwhelmed. Very lacking in presence compared to the previous design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads