Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2009 US Open Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Wow! The Spambots know their tennis!

2. DCPHIL

DCPHIL Senior member

Serena is a straight up beast, my penis shrinks every time I see her
    Serena looks damn good to me. I love a woman whose body has the curves of a woman; however, enjoy Sharapova, to each their own. In my opin she looks more like a stick figure with acne but we are all wired to appreciate different aspects of beauty. I am uncomfortable comminging on a woman's appearance; it's unseemly. I do wonder, though, if you've ltaken a look in the mirror lately. I am sure that the shrinking penis you describe is au natural. Look for the enhancement informercials, and maybe you'll have the stamina to appreciate a real woman as opposed to a girl with the body of a boy shrieking around the court with her dimensional game

3. DCPHIL

DCPHIL Senior member

I am too, and it was painful to watch because if not for the complete uselessness of Maria's serve, it wouldn't have even been close. First set would've been a bagel, thing would've been over in about an hour. Oudin's serve is almost as bad as Sharapova's and she doesn't have an injury to complain about, she needs to work on getting it consistently above 100 to at least have a chance. Even a discouraged, negative Maria still broke her, what, 3 or 4 times in that last set? Well, guess I'm pulling for Clijsters and Hantuchova to take out the Williamses... tall order.

Fed looked terrible today. Worst match since... well since the last time he was shanking everything and broke that racket against Novak.

Well given that you are not an American, your disdain for the disdain for the Wms sisters is palatable. Why you hate them so...is something that you and you alone know. Of course, I have my theories, but it's refreshing to know that you are not from the USA. Good luck realizing the "tall order" that you so frantically want to see realized. Lastly, when the Wms finally do retire, they'll do so on their terms and will have made history, garned countless slams, engaged in lucrative business ventures (most recently partial ownership of Miami Dolphins) and earned tons of money. Not bad, particulary when considering the sad,small-minded, petty and pathetic ppl who who hate them just for being -- for a couple of girls from Compton -- who've had unparalleled success over past decade. Cheers.

4. DCPHIL

DCPHIL Senior member

So far a great tournament for the American players, especially the lesser knowns.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly! As an American,I am delighted by the success of many. Surprised that so many ppl on this site objectify women and their bodies to the such a degree. Beauty is subjective, hence my belief that Sharapova leaves much to be desired, but I watch because of her game and tenacity despite her shortcomnigs. GO USA

5. DCPHIL

DCPHIL Senior member

the de-evolution to straight power game has turned womens tennis into a snoozefest. I miss Henin and Hingis.
    Let's hope for a Hingis return post cocaine suspenision, but I am not too optimistic about her chances for success. Henin was always a delight to watch, but she got very lucky by winning most of her majors when the Wms were out with injury. Nevertheless, her tennis was often sublime.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Well given that you are not an American, your disdain for the disdain for the Wms sisters is palatable. Why you hate them so...is something that you and you alone know. Of course, I have my theories, but it's refreshing to know that you are not from the USA. Good luck realizing the "tall order" that you so frantically want to see realized. Lastly, when the Wms finally do retire, they'll do so on their terms and will have made history, garned countless slams, engaged in lucrative business ventures (most recently partial ownership of Miami Dolphins) and earned tons of money. Not bad, particulary when considering the sad,small-minded, petty and pathetic ppl who who hate them just for being -- for a couple of girls from Compton -- who've had unparalleled success over past decade. Cheers.
    Let's hope for a Hingis return post cocaine suspenision, but I am not too optimistic about her chances for success. Henin was always a delight to watch, but she got very lucky by winning most of her majors when the Wms were out with injury. Nevertheless, her tennis was often sublime.
    See, the 2nd quote here is in "you don't have a clue what you're talking about" territory. Hingis peaked in the late 90s. The Williamses inherited the top of the women's game from her, just as Fed inherited it from Sampras, and just like and Nadal, Murray and Djokovic will inherit it from Fed if Fed ever stops being a beast. I hate what the Williams sisters have done to women's tennis. Before their time it was not a power game, it was interesting to watch as an alternative to men's because it was almost pure skill. They were so damned GOOD at the power game that they just came on and blew the Hingis-es, who weren't prepared to make the necessary adjustments, off the court. It's not as fun to watch anymore. They would have gone away if only the Belgians hadn't fucking retired in their early 20s. When Henin and Clijsters were 1-2 it looked like career secondary status for the Williamses from then on out. Since they retired, and Maria hurt her shoulder, there's been no one to keep them from racking up the titles. Everyone who has aspired to the top seeds has been horrendously inconsistent and mentally fragile. Just about everyone aside from Clijsters and Henin who has come up since the Williams ascendancy has tried to beat them at their own game, big hitting and big serving, and it's like watching a really, really bad men's match. A lot of interesting techniques and playing styles have fallen by the wayside despite the fact that a strong player could use them to good effect if only they came back into vogue. That's why I'm so happy to see Kim back and playing well. The other thing I hate about them is the off-court bullshit. They're unbelievably arrogant and immature, they talk themselves up and their family always has to get themselves into the headlines. It's just classless. They have been a lot better in recent years, but even this year, Serena is complaining about not being number one and sarcastically saying "Well, I won wimbledon and the australian, she's number one because she won Rome and Madrid" and then laughing her ass off in front of a press corps. Shut the fuck up, bitch, you're number 2 because you don't win anything they don't show on NBC. If you want to be first, try actually showing up for the other events instead of mailing them in. I don't hate American players. I like Roddick. When Blake was in the top 10 he was super fun to watch, like the match against Agassi a few years ago, that was one of my favourites ever. Sampras and Agassi, great players, great to watch. That being said it probably doesn't help the enjoyment of American tennis that everyone outside the States gets your broadcast where ALL THEY FUCKING DO is talk about US players, and they'll pre-empt Fed or Murray or JMDP to show an unseeded US guy ranked 84th or in the case of Jesse Witten 276th. Seriously, the one name I've heard more than any other this tournament? Melanie Oudin. Why? Dementieva folded like a lawn chair and Sharapova gave her an entire set in double faults alone. She might be good someday, but only if she can learn to hit a serve above 90mph. Right now she's irrelevant, and not all that interesting to watch. Yet she gets all the air time. The announcers in-match are always riding the US players' dicks as well, it'd be nice to get some neutral coverage once in a while. That doesn't make me hate all US players, though. And sometimes it works out; Dent v. Navarro is probably the match of the tourney so far. Looks like Kim vs. Serena in the semis... hope it's a good match. Today's was WEIRD but still pretty intense in set 3.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

tennis makes nascar seem exciting.

8. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

The other thing I hate about them is the off-court bullshit. They're unbelievably arrogant and immature, they talk themselves up and their family always has to get themselves into the headlines. It's just classless. They have been a lot better in recent years, but even this year, Serena is complaining about not being number one and sarcastically saying "Well, I won wimbledon and the australian, she's number one because she won Rome and Madrid" and then laughing her ass off in front of a press corps. Shut the fuck up, bitch, you're number 2 because you don't win anything they don't show on NBC. If you want to be first, try actually showing up for the other events instead of mailing them in.
    It's mostly Serena. Venus is the better of the two, not in terms of playing.
    That was one of the most pitiful matches I've ever watched. You see Blake's stupid expression throughout the match? He wanted Agassi to win, just to give more fuel to the story of Agassi retiring. He wanted Andre to go all the way. And when Blake went up to the net to congratulate Agassi, with that boy-ish grin on his face? Fucking pathetic. He had the biggest opportunity to win that major. Now he's a playtoy to everybody in the top 20. He even lost to Robredo yesterday, whom he has a great record against. Ah well, maybe he didn't want to face Federer and get destroyed in bagels. He's the total opposite of Roddick; unlike Roddick, he doesn't want to improve his game and seems to only play for the pay checks. And this is coming from one of his biggest fans. I'm really disappointed in him and what he could've become.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

You hear the announcers at the end of Blake / Robredo? Guy: "The winner gets the dubious pleasure of facing Roger Federer in the next round." Guy 2: "Haha, Yaaaaaay!" I thought Robredo simply outplayed him though, hit a lot of good angles. Blake didn't play well by any means (40 some odd errors) and he doesn't seem to have the same energy he used to, but injuries will do that.

Speaking of Americans, they're putting out a lot of tall guys... I like this Isner guy better than Querry, that should be an interesting match tomorrow. I get the feeling Dent is going out in straights tonight.

10. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

It's really sad how Blake keeps losing these past years, especially with his one-dimensional game and lack of enthusiasm.

It seems like he thinks it's still 2006 and that he'll win a match just by getting the ball over the net. It's never going to work in 2009, not when you have flat baseliners and all top-spin players.

And America is looking pretty neat lately. Isner beating Roddick? I'm not surprised; just wanted to see a potential Roddick vs Federer re-match. I hope that Roddick making Wimbledon finals wasn't just a one-time fluke.

Dent is a good player as well. Good matches between him and Federer.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Dent is a good player as well. Good matches between him and Federer.
    When were these?? I've only seen one match between them, and Fed completely massacred him. EDIT: set 2 between Penetta - Zvonareva is the best women's set I've seen in a long time.

12. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Some pics from Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Some better Verdasco shots: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. DCPHIL

DCPHIL Senior member

See, the 2nd quote here is in "you don't have a clue what you're talking about" territory. Hingis peaked in the late 90s. The Williamses inherited the top of the women's game from her, just as Fed inherited it from Sampras, and just like and Nadal, Murray and Djokovic will inherit it from Fed if Fed ever stops being a beast. I hate what the Williams sisters have done to women's tennis. Before their time it was not a power game, it was interesting to watch as an alternative to men's because it was almost pure skill. They were so damned GOOD at the power game that they just came on and blew the Hingis-es, who weren't prepared to make the necessary adjustments, off the court. It's not as fun to watch anymore. They would have gone away if only the Belgians hadn't fucking retired in their early 20s. When Henin and Clijsters were 1-2 it looked like career secondary status for the Williamses from then on out. Since they retired, and Maria hurt her shoulder, there's been no one to keep them from racking up the titles. Everyone who has aspired to the top seeds has been horrendously inconsistent and mentally fragile. Just about everyone aside from Clijsters and Henin who has come up since the Williams ascendancy has tried to beat them at their own game, big hitting and big serving, and it's like watching a really, really bad men's match. A lot of interesting techniques and playing styles have fallen by the wayside despite the fact that a strong player could use them to good effect if only they came back into vogue. That's why I'm so happy to see Kim back and playing well. The other thing I hate about them is the off-court bullshit. They're unbelievably arrogant and immature, they talk themselves up and their family always has to get themselves into the headlines. It's just classless. They have been a lot better in recent years, but even this year, Serena is complaining about not being number one and sarcastically saying "Well, I won wimbledon and the australian, she's number one because she won Rome and Madrid" and then laughing her ass off in front of a press corps. Shut the fuck up, bitch, you're number 2 because you don't win anything they don't show on NBC. If you want to be first, try actually showing up for the other events instead of mailing them in. I don't hate American players. I like Roddick. When Blake was in the top 10 he was super fun to watch, like the match against Agassi a few years ago, that was one of my favourites ever. Sampras and Agassi, great players, great to watch. That being said it probably doesn't help the enjoyment of American tennis that everyone outside the States gets your broadcast where ALL THEY FUCKING DO is talk about US players, and they'll pre-empt Fed or Murray or JMDP to show an unseeded US guy ranked 84th or in the case of Jesse Witten 276th. Seriously, the one name I've heard more than any other this tournament? Melanie Oudin. Why? Dementieva folded like a lawn chair and Sharapova gave her an entire set in double faults alone. She might be good someday, but only if she can learn to hit a serve above 90mph. Right now she's irrelevant, and not all that interesting to watch. Yet she gets all the air time. The announcers in-match are always riding the US players' dicks as well, it'd be nice to get some neutral coverage once in a while. That doesn't make me hate all US players, though. And sometimes it works out; Dent v. Navarro is probably the match of the tourney so far. Looks like Kim vs. Serena in the semis... hope it's a good match. Today's was WEIRD but still pretty intense in set 3.
    I've been playing and watching tennis since I was a child and, frankly, it appears that you don't really know tennis, both the game and its history. From my recollection, Monica was the first who started the power game, and the Wms took it to the next level. Tix sales, TV viewership, etc has increased expotentially since they ascended to the top of the tennis world, hence many ppl, including myself, find your assertion about boring tennis to be utter nonsense. Otherwise, they wouldnt get the nielson numbers and tix sales that they do for their matches. The problem is that they are just better and some Americans like you, hate it. Yes, they are stronger, but I dont think that what is known as big babe tennis is reflected on the court by Davenport, Sharpova, Clisters (who has a great defensive game, but is not near the tactician of Henin) have aspired and lost for the most part. Yes, you probably do like SOME Americans, but let's not bring Blake into the equation. Nice guy yes, a champion and winner, no. To me, he's afraid of his own shadow, something that you may be more comfortable with or, shall I quote you by noting that he -- in your mind -- isnt arrogant or some might say uppity. If Blake had moxie, won slams on his terms and dominated the sport for years, I wonder if you'd like him so. Andy, who is indeed a great guy, on the other hand I'm sure that you would like him. Similar to those who loved Connors, Johnny Mac...as it's ok for them to be sure of themselves without being called arrogant or uppity.

Lastly, the days of Evert were among the most boring in the history of tennis. Nav was a delight to watch, but not Chrissy. She had power, athlecism and didn't give a damn what others thought about her. I love that Serena has a smilar attitutde. No, she's not always gracious in defeat, but champions often aren't; it's what makes them special. I guess I find your comments disturbing for reasons that are disconcerting in 09'. Don't know you so I cant be certain...but it sure looks like you have a prob with winners that look like the Wms.

As for shut the f*** up, the WTA should revise it's ranking system. It's ludicrous that a woman who holds three of the current slams is number two. Yes she was pompous but, again, Connors, Mac, and a whole host of others were too, but they didn't get the vitriol of hatred from their American compatriots.