• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2009 Plal C&J Catalogue Received

HappymaN

Reaction score
Just informed by Shyam that they have received the new catalogue. New styles available are listed below.

Of note, no models on the 351 last, and only one model on the 358. The BG Edgware has become available however and should be popular. Hallam in Espresso Calf Suede may be popular also.

Last 358
Handgrade Selborne Black Calf
Handgrade Selbourne Chestnut Antique Calf

Last 348
Edgware Dark Brown Burnished Calf
Edgware Black Calf
Drummond Tan Burnished Calf
Hallam Espresso Calf Suede
Monkton Chestnut Burnished Calf
Monkton Black Calf

Last 341
Finsbury Dark Brown Burnished Calf
Worcester Dark Brown Repello Suede

Last 325
Cavendish Burgundy Shell Cordovan

Last 314
Boston dark Brown Country Calf

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fyi. The Selbourne is a nice looking shoe (doesn't look like P.Lal has the catalogue up yet but you can see the model on the French site).

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Edgware is a
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
shoe.

On a side note, C&J must have sent the new catalog by boat because it's taken over a month for Plal to get it.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Selbourne, courtesy of Pediwear:
2625handgraselbourne.jpg
inlove.gif
Nice to see a more elongated chisel-toed last in handgrade.

Albert60

Reaction score
The Selbourne is a fine looking shoe and I don't own a pair on the 358 last but I don't need a heavily brogued pair of shoes at this time. The 348 last fits me well. I'll be ordering at least 1 Edgeware and maybe the Hallam ES as soon as the catalogue is posted.

Good exchange rate right now 1USD = 3.63MYR.

I expect approx $1199 MYR/pair + $100MYR/pair(?) shipping comes out to $357.85/pair.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albert60
The Selbourne is a fine looking shoe and I don't own a pair on the 358 last but I don't need a heavily brogued pair of shoes at this time. The 348 last fits me well. I'll be ordering at least 1 Edgeware and maybe the Hallam ES as soon as the catalogue is posted. Good exchange rate right now 1USD = 3.63MYR. I expect approx $1199 MYR/pair + $100MYR/pair(?) shipping comes out to $357.85/pair.
I don't see much advantage with ordering from plal for benchgrades with the current USD-GBP exchange rate. Hallam should be around 350 dollars from pediwear. Unless you had bad experience with the UK vendors or have a great relationship with Plal. Besides shipping is slightly more than 100 MYR plus an additional insurance charge (10-20 MYR). That said, handgrade is still cheaper with plal.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
I don't see much advantage with ordering from plal for benchgrades with the current USD-GBP exchange rate. Hallam should be around 350 dollars from pediwear. Unless you had bad experience with the UK vendors or have a great relationship with Plal.

Besides shipping is slightly more than 100 MYR plus an additional insurance charge (10-20 MYR). That said, handgrade is still cheaper with plal.

Do you get hit with customs duties when purchasing from Pediwear or will they do some creative paperwork like plal?

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
Do you get hit with customs duties when purchasing from Pediwear or will they do some creative paperwork like plal?

I personally don't have experience with pediwear, but I am sure other members here can chime in.

Albert60

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
I don't see much advantage with ordering from plal for benchgrades with the current USD-GBP exchange rate. Hallam should be around 350 dollars from pediwear. Unless you had bad experience with the UK vendors or have a great relationship with Plal.

Besides shipping is slightly more than 100 MYR plus an additional insurance charge (10-20 MYR). That said, handgrade is still cheaper with plal.

Quite right. Though pediwear doesn't have the new Benchgrades displayed they're probably available regardless. I'll find out.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am awaiting the new catalogue to be up on plal's website. Let's hope there is a new pricing on account that the GBP has weaken quite significantly against most currencies including MYR.

I'd agree that with the current exchange rate, there seem to be very little incentive for first time buyers to order through plal, what with pediwear besting their prices plus an additional 5% less. That said, plal's shipping from Malaysia is rather quick and he makes an effort to help buyers avoid custom taxes, plus you can order some terrific saphir shoe polish through them.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I just bought a pair of Hallams for about $335. If you're in the U.S., it's 217 pounds, free shipping, no tax, etc., so whatever that is at the current exchange rate is what you're paying. PLAL would be about the same but you pay shipping with them I believe.

I believe handgrades are still cheaper at PLAL, even with shipping.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
FYI, I just bought a pair of Hallams for about $335. If you're in the U.S., it's 217 pounds, free shipping, no tax, etc., so whatever that is at the current exchange rate is what you're paying. PLAL would be about the same but you pay shipping with them I believe.

I believe handgrades are still cheaper at PLAL, even with shipping.

^ this is true, however Pediwear beats any price by 5% which would make them cheaper.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
^ this is true, however Pediwear beats any price by 5% which would make them cheaper.

I personally don't do that, but whatever works...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads