• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2009 Clothing Insights / 2010 Clothing Plans

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Merry Christmas folks, this is a continuation to last year's thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=95943 talking about what we may have learned over the previous year and what we would like to try or buy or make or whatever next year. For me: 2009 Clothing Insights 1. Soft shoulder is not that exciting. 2. Narrow ties are forever. 3. I need shorter lasts or wider lasts or bespoke. 4. W Bill Camelhair is awesome. 5. Dormeuil Microlight (Polyester/wool blend) is awesome. 6. Generally I prefer jackets with a rear collar that is narrower than the lapels. (might have mixed up terminology) 7. Drake's is awesome. 2010 Plans 1. More shawl lapelled things, didn't get around to it this year. 2. Contrasting colour rear collar. 3. Sport jacket with extended rear collar for wearing up (fack, terminology is killing me). 4. More seersucker. 5. More cotton trousers. 6. More DB. 7. More grey suits. 8. High walled Budapest plz

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
More cowbell!!!

2009:
-Hmm, I like 'em clothes so I bought some stuff.
-White+Grey+Black
-Oversized sweaters
-Flannels
-HL dress pants

2010:
-Yep, still like clothes.
-I should def take the time to get a bespoke order in, just for fun but I keep not doing it. I wanna have a super-structured military-like totally anglo suit.
-Prob getting a bulky pair of Mitteleuropean shoes or boots.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
You mean like the Budapest-style stuff? You reminded me too...

Yeah, well it really is bigger than that. The part of Europe that is between West and East so it's as much Germany, Austria as Poland or whatever. Those shoes are not specifically from Budapest and that's it, so I'd rather use a more inclusive term.

Yeah, I have a pair of military-like Vass boots on the F-last (broke one of the shoe trees yesterday
frown.gif
) but I want something more characteristic, sorta like what Fritzl posts.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2009:
-learned I have an erect posture and square shoulders. Soft/natural shoulders apparently suit me.

2010:
-MTM sportcoat;
-MTM shirts;
-MTM suit;
-Moar shoes!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
2009:
-learned I have an erect posture and square shoulders. Soft/natural shoulders apparently suit me.

2010:
-MTM sportcoat;
-MTM shirts;
-MTM suit;
-Moar shoes!

Don't you have like 30 pairs right now?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2009: I acquired almost an entirely new wardrobe and refined my tastes/style dramatically. Also lost 15-20 lbs.
2 pairs of great shoes (+trees), 1 RLBL suit, 1 properly fitting DJ, a proper pique white bowtie, sweet double sided MOP cufflinks, countless pairs of Mabitex/Incotex pants, and many high quality shirts that fit well

2010: Continued refinement and moar high quality items. I've realized that I'm really actually a 38/39, rather than a 40.
Moar mabitex/incotex, another pair of shoes (still need suede and something to wear in rain), pocket squares, chesterfield coat

I wonder if I'll ever get a taste for ties... I can't pick them out for beans.

Classically

Reaction score
2009 Insights 1) I like preppy/classic style clothing. (Ralph Lauren and Brooks FTW) 2) I love leather. 3) Alden True Balance are more comfortable than my current pair of Allen Edmonds. 4) Sport shirts are great for most casual occasions. 5) Jeans are a must in winter. 6) Boots are a need, not a want. 7) Bow ties are a b*tch to tie. 8) Hats are extremely useful in heavy rain or when you want your hands to be free. 9) Global warming means more time to wear linen. 2010 Plans 1) If possible, lose beer belly and try to drop two waist sizes. 2) Reward myself with a pair of raw denim jeans if I accomplish the above. 3) Buy a pair of Alden Indys 4) Buy a pair of casual Aldens. 5) Casually wear bow ties. 6) Buy a hat made from beaver felt. 7) Get gym clothes.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Yeah, I have a pair of military-like Vass boots on the F-last (broke one of the shoe trees yesterday
frown.gif
) but I want something more characteristic, sorta like what Fritzl posts.

I hated everything he posted and then they started growing on me. Now I'm scared I may buy one and it will be like my "fun socks" adventure (thanks to the asses on the forum for that one). I'll probably buy one.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you have like 30 pairs right now?

uhoh.gif
lookaround.gif
Actually, I have a dozen or so (not including boots and sneakers) that I'm currently wearing and a few that haven't been worked into the rotation yet... I guess I'm mostly looking to replace some of the ones I have with something similar, but from another maker or on a different last to improve fit. Want/need a semi brogue.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I hated everything he posted and then they started growing on me. Now I'm scared I may buy one and it will be like my "fun socks" adventure (thanks to the asses on the forum for that one). I'll probably buy one.
If they make you feel like fun socks stay away. I just have to be careful and not indulge in all my rustic yearnings at once or I'll end up with some pebble grain, bicolour balmoral boots.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If they make you feel like fun socks stay away. I just have to be careful and not indulge in all my rustic yearnings at once or I'll end up with some pebble grain, bicolour balmoral boots.

I'll sell you a pair of those.

(i have a pair of Edward Green Galways for sale)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I'll sell you a pair of those.

(i have a pair of Edward Green Galways for sale)

Hmm, as I said I should never wear that stuff. English shoes don't do it for me anyway. Well I do like some of the EG specs.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2009:

- Focused on upgrading accessories, and did so to my satisfaction.
- Reaffirmed my appreciation of Trad attire.
- Narrowed my shoe purchases to a few styles and types of leather.

2010:

No particular focus except to add fewer but more carefully chosen items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads